News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

MikeJones

The evolution of computer visualisation
« on: May 31, 2003, 06:04:36 PM »
Hi, I'm a long time lurker here in the gca forums and the discussion is invariably interesting and enjoyable.

I just thought it would be interesting to get some feedback perhaps from the experts here in the gca industry as to how many of them (if any) use some sort of visualisation (computer or otherwise) in their design process. I've included below some pictures of my recent work and they are all 3d enviroments and not static 2d renderings so you can roam around the terrain at will.

Is there any need for this kind of detail or are computers used mainly for land movement calculations etc?

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

Brian Phillips

Re: The evolution of computer visualisation
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2003, 10:23:31 AM »
Mike,

I must ask but how much time and how much does something like that cost considering it is 3D.  I often use Photoshop but that is a 2D imaging for the golf courses I work on.

Brian
Bunkers, if they be good bunkers, and bunkers of strong character, refuse to be disregarded, and insist on asserting themselves; they do not mind being avoided, but they decline to be ignored - John Low Concerning Golf

Paul_Turner

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2003, 01:28:38 PM »
Mike

I don't know anything about this subject, but please tell us about your project, it looks a nice piece of land and the holes look interesting.  The top photo reminds me of the 14th at Bandon Dunes (looking from the right hand side of the fairway).
can't get to heaven with a three chord song

Jeremy_Glenn.

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2003, 02:38:10 PM »
MikeJ,

That stuff looks so good, it is truly, truly TRULY incredible.  :o  If I'm not mistaken, I think it's from Links LS, isn't it?

If there is a way to take a AutoCAD file and bring it to something even half as good as that, please drop me a note.  I'd be very interested to discuss.

MikeJones

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2003, 03:33:58 PM »
Jeremy, the pics you see here are from inside the CAD program used to create the course but yes they are compatable with MS Links and can be saved in a format that can be played in either the computer simulation or on one of the many indoor golf simulators that use the MS Links technology.

I'm a golf professional and  started to do this as a hobby but the reason for this thread is to mainly:

a) show people what is possible

b) find out whether there is any need for this in the current design process or whether more traditional methods are still preferred.

Jeremy_Glenn.

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2003, 04:06:07 PM »
MikeJ,

Is it possible to take a golf course designed on AutoCAD and arrive at the simulation result you are showing us?  What software are you using for this?  Where/how is it available?

RJ_Daley

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2003, 06:34:36 PM »
This brings to mind some of the interesting things they say about Mike Strantz, who is quite an artist and who draws many pictures to convey to the shapers-constructors what he wants the holes to look like in the end.  Obviously, MikeJ's work and method (and 3-D to boot) takes the artist sketch renderings to another level entirely.  But, you still have to have the shapers and constructors build what you are so wonderfully portraying with these CADD 3-D computer images.  

Obviously, with a marriage of CADD like AutoCAdd and these applications Mike J is using, the potential of architecture is expanded on the creativity side.  But I ask, what about the ability to design build a course on and over the ground that exists on the minimalist model?  One can shoot the points on the ground for detailed topo info as the original property exists, and can design minimal construction and yet find optimal routing if the data and these computer CAdd programs are that good.  But, the unassisted brain of a genius GCA who is also an excellent communicator of ideas to the construction crew is also a worthy match for the computer, IMHO.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:06 PM by -1 »
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Mogulbasher

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2003, 07:38:34 AM »
Firstly, you can import an existing DEM of the area into the package MJ uses, that way you can build the course on existing terrain if you want to

Second there is the ability to export to various programs although the retail version of the program MJ is using has this feature turned off.

Bill_Permenter

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2003, 07:49:02 AM »
MikeJ,

A couple of years ago Franco, Chesney, Silvernail and I had the idea to try to sell  to golf course architects and developers -- "the future of their course designs" via the Jack Nicklaus 6 designer.

They could have:

1) Seen how their courses would play on opening day, 5 years later, or even 50 years later.
2) Done course routing changes even before groundbreaking.
3) Used the computer course model as a sales tool by allowing clients to play and see the course even before construction.

Etc, etc, etc --- It would have been a tremendous tool !!!  And it could have been done for a reasonable price ($20,000 ?).

But we gave up trying to put it together.

However, I did "create" a future 18th hole for a Mexican project and the course architect took in down there and showed it to them on his laptop.  They were loved their future finishing hole and he (of course) got the job!

Bill

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back