News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ryan Farrow

Architects and GIS
« on: January 15, 2007, 10:03:47 PM »
I may or may not take a class in geographic information systems. A question for the architects; how often do you use this kind of tool and what benefits are there to knowing how to use/understand GIS.

This is a description of the class:

Learn essential GIS concepts
- Learn ESRI’s ArcGIS 9.1 software
- Learn applications of GIS as it is used to
support landscape architecture and planning
- Develop your own GIS application related to
your area of interest

Matt Kardash

Re:Architects and GIS
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2007, 10:10:39 PM »
Hah!
This is quite amusing to me since I am an Environmental Science student. I have taken a GIS course in the past and have used both ESRI and ArcGIS. This semester I am taking an advanced course in GIS. I'm not an architect but I would imagine GIS might be helpful in choosing a property to build a course on.
the interviewer asked beck how he felt "being the bob dylan of the 90's" and beck quitely responded "i actually feel more like the bon jovi of the 60's"

paul cowley

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2007, 10:19:23 PM »
Ryan ....I find it increasingly more useful in the post building phase or for measurement analysis [as built stuff].....it is really beneficial to have that info when needed.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2007, 04:39:26 AM by paul cowley »
paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2007, 05:01:54 PM »
Disclaimer - I have never taken a GIS course, but I have designed part of an antenna for a GPS satellite...  :)

My definition of GIS - the As-built or the site conditions maps.  They are a combination of GPS (usually) data compiled and presented in a easily readable form.

If you had a site plan with wetlands, vegetation, easements and resourses delineated it would help to understand how the data got there.  

It is even more helpful to integrate that data into a mobile GPS unit when walking the site.

I created a routing plan of the course (GIS) and mapped it to my hand held (GPS) and staked the course and still do so.

.... To Be continued...
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil & Tiger.

Don_Mahaffey

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2007, 05:55:06 PM »
I can tell you that Mike's ability to be constantly mapping the course with our GPS unit has been of great value during construction.
After every visit we have an up to date as built of everything...and I mean everything…and it doesn't take near as long as you might think...probably because Mike is an expert with the unit and the technology.
In addition we saved the client $$$ by doing all the initial staking ourselves...the bid from the contractor to stake the course was higher then you might think…and Mike and I staked the course in a day.
Mike uses the technology as a design tool as it allows him to quickly and accurately match on the ground what he created in his office. We then use those marks as a reference point and build the golf course from there. We often make changes in the field...like real often, but it's very nice to know exactly where you are at all times.

Ryan Farrow

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2007, 10:02:51 PM »
Thanks for your responses so far. I look forward to what Mike has to add and I will hold him to it.

At least from my first class this seems like and infinitely customizable tool. I like what I hear about the use of GPS and I could see how helpful it could be in the field. The nuts and bolts of GIS seem like a pretty simple one stop data map. Are there any other innovative uses with GIS in golf course design and construction?

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2007, 11:53:21 PM »
Don very nicely expressed how we use GPS to create GIS on site.  Each visit I do a little mapping of where the bunkers wound up or not (they do change, shrink and disappear), drainage and irrigation.  The updates help me optimize the remaining irrigation layout.  Don swears we have exceeded our planned irrigated acreage, but guesses that the data will show we haven't.  I may have to bet him one day.  (Don't tell Don, but we haven't gone over)  :)

Ryan,
There are some who have successfully tied GPS/GIS data to a receiver on the blade of a dozer to more efficiently move dirt.  Read my essay in Golf Architecture issue 9 if you want my detailed opinion.  We don't do that.  
Saying that might impress some architectural firms but I wouldn't try that approach with a constractor if you were looking for employment.

Please fill us in on what goes on in the classroom.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2007, 11:54:19 PM by Mike Nuzzo »
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil & Tiger.

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2007, 01:46:34 AM »
I was fortunate about a year and a half ago, Larry Rodgers more or less taugh me how to "map" a course with a computer tablet and GPS system backpack. Pretty interesting stuff that I have to say is highly accurate in terms of distances.

ForkaB

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2007, 02:09:37 AM »
Ryan

Check out www.optimizegolf.com for another approach.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back