News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Eric Smith

2013 Merion Tickets
« on: March 05, 2012, 08:05:10 AM »
Are on sale now to USGA Members at www.USGA.org

Who here has gotten theirs?  8)

Will the Shreiner Bros. have a set up nearby that week like they have for other marquee golf events?

Kris Shreiner

Re: 2013 Merion Tickets
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 08:52:11 AM »
A mild winter so far has on-course preparations well under way for Merion's 2013 presentation. We can only hope that mother nature cooperates and a firm, dry set-up is possible during that week.

I've not gotten tickets yet, but plan to do so shortly. We are in the planning stages to host a festive outing @ Merion that week. As the proceedings take shape, details will be posted here on the site. The 2009 Walker Cup was a stellar golf event, and the Philly GCA gang should be on point to deliver again in 2013!

Cheers,
Kris 8)
"I said in a talk at the Dunhill Tournament in St. Andrews a few years back that I thought any of the caddies I'd had that week would probably make a good golf course architect. We all want to ask golfers of all abilities to get more out of their games -caddies do that for a living." T.Doak

Mike Hendren

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 10:43:32 AM »
I'll be there, likely looking to lay-off the weekend tickets.

Bogey
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

JSlonis

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 01:05:57 PM »
Because of the tight knit routing and the borders of the property, I would imagine the traffic flow around the course is going to be quite tough for spectators.  I guess there will be a reduced amount of tickets available. It'll be interesting to see how the logistics come together.

When you guys get a chance to see it, I'll also be very interested to hear what the GCA guys think of the work that has been done to Merion over this past off season.  Threads tend to get LONG when talking about Merion and I'm sure this topic will be no different.  ;)
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 01:12:53 PM by JSlonis »

Ray Cross

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 01:13:25 PM »
Yes, I went to the site and ordered weekly badges.....quite expensive, but it is the U S Open and it is in my back yard.
The weekly hospitality tent pkg was a little too dear for me.....somewhere around $1800. per.

Looking forward to this.

Ray

Ed Brzezowski

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 01:22:08 PM »
Have any of you Philly guys tried to volunteer?? Tried to do so through the Golf Assn Phila website and could not complete the form. Called the USGA and they had over 4,000 applications so far, it had overstressed the site. Told me to keep trying, so the folks at GAP were kind and let me piggyback onto their group.
Should be a blast, Ray I was hoping you could sneak some free hospitality drinks out for me!!
We have a pool and a pond, the pond would be good for you.

Sean Leary

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2012, 01:22:34 PM »
Because of the tight knit routing and the borders of the property, I would imagine the traffic flow around the course is going to be quite tough for spectators.  I guess there will be a reduced amount of tickets available. It'll be interesting to see how the logistics come together.

When you guys get a chance to see it, I'll also be very interested to hear what the GCA guys think of the work that has been done to Merion over this past off season.  Threads tend to get LONG when talking about Merion and I'm sure this topic will be no different.  ;)

Did they make the changes to some greens as was speculated?

Ed Brzezowski

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2012, 01:24:25 PM »
12 and 15, any further comments will start another 3 page thread. They look great.

Howard Riefs

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2012, 01:41:02 PM »
Yes, I went to the site and ordered weekly badges.....quite expensive, but it is the U S Open and it is in my back yard.

Pleasantly surprised to see that even with the reduced number of badges for 2013, the USGA kept the Weekly Grounds Ticket Package at $450. 

FYI, as these are individual badges for each day (as opposed to a single badge used the entire week), you can sell them via ebay, Stubhub, etc. ... or give to your favorite GCAer.
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

JSlonis

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2012, 01:41:25 PM »
12 and 15, any further comments will start another 3 page thread. They look great.

3 page thread? How about 30?  ;)

Sean,

As for further comments...I'll plead the 5th and bite my tongue for a while, thanks.   :P

Ed Brzezowski

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2012, 01:53:30 PM »
How true, I will never understand some of the hatred of this fine course. But i guess thats why Ritas make 15 flavors.

DMoriarty

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2012, 02:22:55 PM »
How true, I will never understand some of the hatred of this fine course. But i guess thats why Ritas make 15 flavors.

Hatred? I dont recall anyone ever expressing anything close to hatred for the course.  To the contrary, Merion gets attention because of the love and respect for course, and because of the recognition that the course has played an important role in the history of golf and golf architecture in America.  In other words, perhaps some have expressed trepidation about changes and/or potential changes because of their fondness, respect, and their recognition of its importance.  I have no idea how you can go from that to "hatred." 

I would hope we are all capable of distinguishing between a fond appreciation for the course and its great history, on the one hand, and disappointment expressed about certain overzealous defenders of some of the myths associated with the place, on the other.
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

JSlonis

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2012, 02:28:07 PM »
David,

I don't want to sidetrack this thread and I agree with you regarding the fondness that many have for this great course.

I don't think the discussion of the new changes will be in any way related or affected by any perceived negativity.  From the moment I first played Merion, it was immediately evident the course was something special. Any discussion of the changes should stand on their own and be a purely architectural debate. 

Doug Braunsdorf

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2012, 06:51:24 AM »
Have any of you Philly guys tried to volunteer?? Tried to do so through the Golf Assn Phila website and could not complete the form. Called the USGA and they had over 4,000 applications so far, it had overstressed the site. Told me to keep trying, so the folks at GAP were kind and let me piggyback onto their group.
Should be a blast, Ray I was hoping you could sneak some free hospitality drinks out for me!!

Ed, I got the email from Justin, and I was able to complete and return.  Already got my letter back confirming I've been accepted, or approved, or whatever.  This will be fun to do. 
"Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction."

Howard Riefs

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2012, 04:51:44 PM »
Tuesday is the last day for advance purchase of Merion tix for USGA members.

https://ticketing.usga.org/landing/lp_members.aspx

The USGA website says that only 25,000 spectator tix will be sold for each day as a result of the smaller venue size. It's a significant drop from recent US Opens:

2012, Olympic:           33,500/day
2011, Congressional:   35,000/day
2010, Pebble Beach:   38,500/day
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

mike_malone

« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2012, 06:34:08 PM »
 We are applying to volunteer through our club. The coordinator is trying for #16. That would be a great spot. It is actually a hole I like at Merion.
AKA Mayday

Kris Shreiner

« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2012, 10:05:19 PM »
The Shreiner gang is happy to report an optimistic forecast in securing a local hosting venue for the 2013 U.S. Open. We are firming up the particulars, but all signs point to an engaging and memorable week in the 'burbs of brotherly love!

The presentation's theme will be "The Festive Faces of.....oh God, NO!!!! ;D

Cheers,
Kris 8)

« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 10:07:54 PM by Kris Shreiner »
"I said in a talk at the Dunhill Tournament in St. Andrews a few years back that I thought any of the caddies I'd had that week would probably make a good golf course architect. We all want to ask golfers of all abilities to get more out of their games -caddies do that for a living." T.Doak

Tim Martin

« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2012, 09:39:58 AM »
When can daily tix be purchased?

Kris Shreiner

« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2012, 07:23:46 PM »
Tim,

Find your way down here and I've got ya covered for a round. It's the least an aging caddie bum can do for a fellow, former man of the strap!

Cheers,
Kris 8)

Tim Martin

« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2012, 07:50:45 PM »
Tim,

Find your way down here and I've got ya covered for a round. It's the least an aging caddie bum can do for a fellow, former man of the strap!

Cheers,
Kris 8)

Kris-Would love to spend some time with you at Merion! Thanks for the kind words.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2012, 06:51:30 AM »
What's the link for USGA members' purchase of Merion tickets?  The only one I see is for American Express cardholders.

Eric Smith

« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2012, 07:50:57 AM »
What's the link for USGA members' purchase of Merion tickets?  The only one I see is for American Express cardholders.

Dan,

The early offering to USGA Members ended May 1. Better whip out the Amex if you haven't already!

ed_getka

« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2012, 10:43:37 AM »
I'll be coming up with my son. We came up for the Walker Cup and had a great time. I'm really looking forward to seeing the Open at Merion. And even more excited to take my son to see the Walker Cup at NGLA. Next summer is going to be great.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back