News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Adrian_Stiff

o/t 6 Rounds of Golf in a day.
« on: May 12, 2012, 08:11:06 AM »
Our Pro is organising 24 hours of non stop golf on June 21st, thats the longest day in the UK, so only 1 round will be in darkness and 1 in part darkness, the aim is to play 6 or even 7 rounds. I said to him that is physically very tough and would be suprised if they could do it. It seems like near 50 miles of walking. Do the board think that this is achievable? Do they eat on the march or stop? I think I did 54 holes once and I was wrecked and even 72 over a weekend was pretty tough when I was in my twenties but I know a lot on here play 36.... but how are doing 36 two days running? Who could do 6 or 7 rounds on here?
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Scott Warren

Re: o/t 6 Rounds of Golf in a day.
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2012, 08:27:18 AM »
Adrian,

I used to play in a 24-hour event, a cancer fundraiser, at a very hilly course in Sydney (Northbridge GC).

The only sleep was a couple of hours'kip between rounds three and four.

All rounds were walked, so about 25-30km of walking, with a lot of it up and down steep hills.

It took a lot out of you -- my main recommendation is to take a good amount of talcum powder and several different pairs of shorts (I find they cause you to rub in different areas, so are better than multiple rounds in one pair) and a couple of pairs of golf shoes.

I think six rounds in a day is doable with some preparation and if not carrying bad knees or a bad back.

Perhaps if your pro made it two rounds of each of your three courses it might be a bit more doable for a greater range of players/ages?

John Chilver-Stainer

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2012, 08:28:02 AM »
That’s a bit like the „great“ offer for golf in the Scottish Borders.

Seniors can get a special deal of 6 rounds of golf on separate courses for $75, however they must be over 3 consecutive days. The price is OK – but how many over 55 year olds are going to manage 2 rounds a day for 3 consecutive days???

One round of golf at Hawick (very steep) laid me out – I needed 2 days to recover.
Cadrona (supplement £15) has also some long walks from Green to Tee.

Maybe in a cart - but who uses a cart in Scotland?

Jim Colton

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2012, 08:31:22 AM »
Adrian,

It's doable. I played 8 1/2 rounds in 16 hours last year. There are about 15-20 GCAers looking to do 100 or more holes in a day this summer.

Tim Bert

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2012, 08:32:08 AM »
I know someone that did 8.5 rounds in 16 hours And about 30 guys that are planning to do 6 or more rounds in 12-15 hours this summer.  :)

I'd say dIfficult but possible.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2012, 12:03:36 PM »
Adrian, the year I turned 60 I walked, with a pull cart, 63 holes at Royal North Devon!  As walks go it is pretty easy.  I had the course to myself because the weather was so dreadful--windy and 45 degrees.   I figured I walked about 20 miles.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2012, 05:36:23 PM »
Why would anyone want o do this?
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2012, 06:00:11 PM »
Why would anyone want o do this?

Why would anyone not want to do this?
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2012, 06:13:06 PM »
Hugh Blenkin a past Captain at Rye played 100 holes on the longest day then achieved the same feat on 21st Dec when daylight is roughly 8am-4pm. Hugh is well into his 60s!
Cave Nil Vino

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2012, 07:30:48 PM »
He probably had buttered eggs and ham for luncheon and a stiff Kummel!
Cave Nil Vino

Leo Barber

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2012, 09:30:59 PM »
8 of us did "the longest day challenge" a couple of years ago which consisted of four rounds (72 Holes).  The logistics are almost as challenging as the physical demands with trying to complete the task in amongst regular members play.  We teed off at first light 5.15am playing in two balls off each nine.  We almost ran the first 18 so as to commence the 2nd round prior to the official start sheet at 7.30am.  1st 18 was about 2hrs from memory.  We got stuck behind golf on the 3rd 18 through the middle part of the day and the 4th 18 was plain sailing time wise but physically the hardest.  Strangest thing was that it was infact the short game noticeably the putting that suffered the worst.  The arms were getting quite numb and you had very little feeling for distance control on the greens.  We finished all up at about 5.30pm and yes there was definitely time for a 5th round with sunset around 9pm.  As Scott said, some spare pairs of shoes, socks and other clothing advisable and liberal applications of anti chaffing cream.

Some ask why do it but I guess its a golfing version of running a marathon or whatever the equivalent might me in other pursuits (climbing mountain etc) and these times of things can be all about challenges and rewards, milestones and so on.  Our next one we are thinking of is doing the a round of golf at each of the four courses in our region.  Throws a few more logistical challenges in but that also kind of heightens the achievement.

Good luck for the quest.

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2012, 02:39:42 AM »
Thanks for the tips, I will pass theses on re the spare clothing and talcum powder... they are raising money for charity.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Paul Nash

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2012, 06:09:06 AM »
Hi Adrian - our pro Martin Woodbridge is also doing a 108-hole challenge next month with 3 members - and a few volunters to clear the path (including a senors tournament)! They have decided to do foursomes - feel free to get in touch with him to discuss plans. They have had a few early dry runs to see on timing and seem to be able to get aroun in 1hr 50 (and ours is not a short track) - so it seems possible if the bodies can take it. I think they have 3 half hour breaks planned. Good luck.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back