News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill Satterfield

Re:What golf course has your favorite set of par 3s?
« Reply #50 on: December 17, 2006, 03:01:53 PM »
Old School:  Cypress Point and Los Angeles CC

New School:  Thanksgiving Point (Lehi, UT - #17 is amazing), Shadow Creek (#13 is my favoirte), and MC at Aldarra.

Greg Clark

« Reply #51 on: December 17, 2006, 07:59:07 PM »
Teeth of the Dog's par 3's are stellar.  Whistling Straits as well.  I've never been fortunate enough yet to tee it up at Cypress Point, but I would still vote for the set of 3's there also.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2006, 08:45:14 PM by Greg_Clark »

Mike Salinetti

« Reply #52 on: December 17, 2006, 08:03:24 PM »
HARBOUR TOWN
Mike Salinetti
Golf Course Superintendent
Berkshire Hills Country Club
Pittsfield, MA

JR Potts

« Reply #53 on: December 17, 2006, 08:21:16 PM »
Shoreacres has 3 world class 3 pars.

Whistling Straits has 4 really good ones.

Steve Lapper

« Reply #54 on: December 17, 2006, 09:00:11 PM »
1) Pine Valley...not a better set for variety and style

2) Royal Melbourne West...clearly a spectrum of shot values

3) Somerset Hills...Tillies finest mix with simply great examples

4) CPC....having two of the world's top 5 count for alot.

5) Sand Hills...where else does the wind change everything
                    everyday?
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Michael Dugger

« Reply #55 on: December 17, 2006, 10:19:41 PM »
Bandon Dunes's par 3's are the best on the resort.

I don't agree
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Scott Stearns

« Reply #56 on: December 17, 2006, 10:19:48 PM »
camargo.

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #57 on: December 18, 2006, 07:55:04 AM »
From courses I've played:
Royal Dornoch
North Berwick
Cruden Bay
Hoylake
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

Mark Pearce

« Reply #58 on: December 18, 2006, 08:19:00 AM »
Another mention for Burnham & Berrow.  I also think the par 3s at Muirfield are very strong.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Ted Kramer

« Reply #59 on: December 18, 2006, 08:28:21 AM »
I haven't played a course that comes close to Shinnecock with regards to the par 3s. . . .what an amazing golf course :D

-Ted

Mark_Fine

« Reply #60 on: December 18, 2006, 08:33:13 AM »
There must be 50 different courses listed here.  I'm sure everyone feels strongly about each choice but this is a great example for all of us as to why "ranking" of courses is sooo subjective (and also why we shouldn't abuse the guys who participate in the rankings).   It has most to do with personal preference and how many different courses that individual has seen.  We all tend to gravitate to what we know and have experienced.  This thread all but proves that point.  

wsmorrison

« Reply #61 on: December 18, 2006, 09:12:23 AM »
"I'm sure everyone feels strongly about each choice but this is a great example for all of us as to why "ranking" of courses is sooo subjective (and also why we shouldn't abuse the guys who participate in the rankings).  It has most to do with personal preference and how many different courses that individual has seen.  We all tend to gravitate to what we know and have experienced.  This thread all but proves that point."

Mark,

Actually, it proves the contrary, namely that this is why rankings as a subjective process biased by individual experience and preference is flawed and of little value.  As an interested party, it is not surprising that you would find the flaws supportive of the process and the participants, however an objective perspective leads to a different conclusion.

John Kirk

« Reply #62 on: December 18, 2006, 09:23:14 AM »
...or this proves that par 3 holes aren't what differentiate good from great courses.  Because they are designed for one shot, par 3s are the simplest and least interesting holes architecturally.

I mentioned Yale and Riviera initially as possessing great short holes, but that's me talking with my head, not my heart.  I'd rather play the par 3s on my favorite courses (Pacific Dunes, Ballyneal, etc.) any day.

wsmorrison

« Reply #63 on: December 18, 2006, 09:45:01 AM »
I think I agree with you that par 3 holes do not, by themselves, differentiate good from great courses.  However, while I think some architects do/did not rout the courses with them foremost in mind and did not emphasize the design par 3s as being important and highly interesting, they are usually more memorable than most holes to average and interested players.  Some architects did not dismiss their importance and some were critical to the greatness of the course.  In my experience, I think Rolling Green, Cypress Point, Shinnecock Hills, Philadelphia Country, Somerset Hills, NGLA (2 out of 3 great par 3s), Maidstone and others are examples of this.  

Phil McDade

« Reply #64 on: December 18, 2006, 10:02:28 AM »
Lawsonia has a very good set of par 3s -- maybe not as dramatically/visually spectacular as Whistling Straits, but varied and full of challenge, for the most part. The five holes go to four different points of the compass, a good indication of Langford's thoughtful approach to short holes.

#4: 203/175 -- a tough redan-esque hole (tho the green lacks the requisite tilt), uphill and often into the wind, surrounded by bunkers.

#7: 161/146 -- a very good short, to a volcano-like green site, supposedly with a train boxcar buried there; a true do-or-die hole.

#10: 239/217 -- a wood for most players, slightly uphill, with deceptive bunkering and visuals.

#12: 183/171 -- over flat terrain, the green makes this hole. A very wide but not very deep green with a huge slope slicing it in half.

#14: 154/139 -- the easiest of the set, downhill (tho not a drop shot); long is dead.

Mark_Fine

« Reply #65 on: December 18, 2006, 10:37:45 AM »
Wayne,
Aren't almost all rankings based on as you say "individual experience and preference".  But that doesn't mean they are of little value as you suggest.  Please explain "an objective perspective" which would lead to a different conclusion?  I'm not sure there is such a thing as we all have our biases and golf architecture is not something that is black and white.  

I've always said, forget whether a course is #30 or #98 on the Golf Digest or Golf Magazine or Golfweek Top 100 lists.  If it is on the list, it is probably worth seeing and you will learn something from it.  That is value enough for most golfers.  

The best courses eventually migrate to the top sooner or later.  There is a reason that all the major lists have probably an 80% or more overlap.  The other 20% makes for interesting discussion.

John,
You make a good point as well.  

Mike Hoak

« Reply #66 on: December 18, 2006, 10:40:59 AM »
Of the courses I have played I would have to put Harbour Town at the top.  

I also like the lineup of par 3 holes at the Golden Horseshoe Gold course .  If my memory serves me correctly, they all play along, across, or in the large bowl depression in the middle of the property, but each hole is very different from the other.  It also has, in my opinion, the most tasteful island hole in golf.  
« Last Edit: December 18, 2006, 10:44:13 AM by Mike Hoak »

William King

Re:What golf course has the best set of par 3s?
« Reply #67 on: December 18, 2006, 10:58:40 AM »
I heard from several people that I really respect about the quality of Harbour Town's short holes.  I'm not sure if it was the day that I caught it, but three of the four short holes were a five iron and the 14th was a 6.  To me a great set of short holes need to be varied in distance and the ones at HT aren't IMHO.  

Adam,

I'd have to agree with your statement wholeheartedly. It happens all to often that I get to the final par 3 on a course and I'm picking the same club or another in the same subset (mid-iron for example) out of my bag and all I can do is YAWN! :(  I would go further and say that not only variety in clubbing, but in trouble and nature of the challenge is also needed to hold my attention. No course does this for me like Cobblestone GC (ackworth, GA) (GD 100 Best You Can Play). Varied and challenging that's the ticket.

JESII

« Reply #68 on: December 18, 2006, 11:09:27 AM »
I think a bland, repetitive set of one-shotters can leave a stronger negative impression than bland two or three-shotters...that is, in the context of your standard good solid golf course.

In other words, give me a good course, by whatever standard you prefer, and break it down into three classes (one, two and three shots) and weak par 3's will stand out to me more than the other two classes.

Does that mean great par 3's stand out above and beyond great par 4's and 5's? I don't know. When I think of Pine Valley I don't necessarily think of the par 3's first. While the 3's are very good and diverse, I think of the 5's and the variety of the 4's. For Shinnecock, I think of the 3's first and foremost. I think they are as good as it could be.

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #69 on: December 18, 2006, 11:20:30 AM »
I think a bland, repetitive set of one-shotters can leave a stronger negative impression than bland two or three-shotters...that is, in the context of your standard good solid golf course.

In other words, give me a good course, by whatever standard you prefer, and break it down into three classes (one, two and three shots) and weak par 3's will stand out to me more than the other two classes.

Does that mean great par 3's stand out above and beyond great par 4's and 5's? I don't know. When I think of Pine Valley I don't necessarily think of the par 3's first. While the 3's are very good and diverse, I think of the 5's and the variety of the 4's. For Shinnecock, I think of the 3's first and foremost. I think they are as good as it could be.

Complete agreement. Camargo is a good example of this. I like the par 3's there a lot, but strangely, I find The Eden being the 'worst' of the bunch.

The Honors Course has a solid and diverse set of par 3's.

Huntington CC. The par 3's here are fantastic.

Miami Valley Golf Club (Ross) has some good par 3's.

JESII

« Reply #70 on: December 18, 2006, 11:27:03 AM »
The notion that...

quoted from John Kirk:
...or this proves that par 3 holes aren't what differentiate good from great courses.  Because they are designed for one shot, par 3s are the simplest and least interesting holes architecturally.

...rings false with me.

I think a well done set of par 3's are all too rare and are an opportunity to elevate a course to another level of quality.

What would be the keys? Variety in length, setting, green complexities, challenge level etc...

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #71 on: December 18, 2006, 11:33:08 AM »
The par 3's are the first thing that I think of at Crooked Stick. I think they are the best 4 that I have seen on one golf course, potentially. NCR has a really good set as well. #2 at this course is one of the best 175-185 yard holes in the world, in my opinion. I am not sure that another shot in golf has ever made me so nervous about making double. If you miss the green and catch the wrong lie, it just becomes harder and harder to hit the green. Nicklaus called 15 one of the best in the world. 13 is rock solid and 8 is not bad at all, but it is by far the ugly duckling. The other 3 are really, really good.

JESII

« Reply #72 on: December 18, 2006, 11:36:30 AM »
Are there any real good to great courses that do not have a solid (if not great) set of 3's?

It seems there is a thread going on right now listing great courses with less than great 5's...due to the numbers (usually at least 10) it would be pretty impossible to have medicre 4's on a great course.

Jason Topp

« Reply #73 on: December 18, 2006, 11:36:49 AM »
The Australian courses I played had the best par threes I have ever experienced by a fairly wide margin:

Royal Melbourne West
Kingston Heath

Best I've seen in the US - Sand Hills

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #74 on: December 18, 2006, 11:59:10 AM »
Crail, Bandon Trails, TOC, Cypress Pointe, Pebble Beach, NGLA

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back