News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom Huckaby

Re:Week 2: The toughest 2nd hole in golf? Oakmont #2
« Reply #50 on: December 05, 2006, 04:58:01 PM »
Well... one thing these great players are not is dumb.  If there's a benefit to going right, you'd have seen most go that way.  So one conclusion is this is a subtle choice that great players are missing... another is that it doesn't really matter where one approaches this green - for them.

But again, how they play the hole doesn't really matter all that much.

The average joe golfer would be better off from the right, correct?

That's good enough for me.  And in fact in a way is kinda cool... playing away from the greater trouble (ditch, high rough) also gives the better angle in... not your standard fare, which would be the opposite.

So OK, I am starting to like this hole more and more, as I thought I would.  The green still scares me though - and I don't mean in a shotmaking way - I mean in a "this seems absurd way".  I like quirk; I don't like goofy-golf.  Hopefully you understand the distinction.

TH
« Last Edit: December 05, 2006, 04:58:24 PM by Tom Huckaby »

wsmorrison

Re:Week 2: The toughest 2nd hole in golf? Oakmont #2
« Reply #51 on: December 05, 2006, 05:12:33 PM »
George,

Believe me, I constantly know I'm walking the razor's edge.  Chunk wedge or hit it in tight.  I never know.  But I was inspired at Oakmont that day and had one of my all-time enjoyable rounds.  Of course, a round with our host couple and Tom Paul made a great venue an even greater experience.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2006, 05:23:52 PM by Wayne Morrison »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back