News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Andrew Mitchell

Re:Best Courses I Played This Year First Time
« Reply #100 on: November 30, 2006, 09:32:52 AM »
I think I played about 15 courses for the first time this year - that's pretty good for me.

The highlights were (in chronological order):

St Enodoc

Silloth on Solway - with Chris Kane

Royal Liverpool (Hoylake) - Buda Cup

Royal Lytham St Annes - with Mike Whitaker post Buda

Turnberry (Ailsa)

I'm grateful to this website for the fact that three of those rounds were with GCA members and that without this discussion group I wouldn't have flown my clubs down to Cornwall just to play St Enodoc whilst holidaying in the area!
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

Pat Ruddy

« Reply #101 on: December 01, 2006, 11:56:16 AM »
Just under 100 posters on this thread give lists of places they played in 2006.
Only 13 of these give British courses as places they visited.
Amazingly, only 3 have been to Ireland?
Do they know what they are missing?

Sean Leary

« Reply #102 on: December 01, 2006, 12:25:07 PM »
Pat,

My larger jet that I share with Hammy was out of commission for most of the year so I had to take the smaller one to travel around the country but can't go TransAtlantic. ;)

It should be fixed by next summer, and I will be visiting your fine course at the end of June.....

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #103 on: December 01, 2006, 12:33:31 PM »

Pat,

People that go to Ireland usually have a greater understanding of architecture than bravado.  You will note that we have threads like this every couple of weeks and the winner gets to wear a red tie.

Joe Hancock

« Reply #104 on: December 01, 2006, 12:34:58 PM »
Hasn't this contest ended yet? I'm up to my ankles in urine already... :P

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Kirk Gill

« Reply #105 on: December 01, 2006, 01:05:14 PM »
I've lived in and around Denver my entire life, and so many times I have driven past the walls of The Denver Country Club, and this year I had the opportunity to play there. In stark contrast to many of you on this site, I've had no opportunities to play at the heralded private clubs of the world.  But this year, opportunity knocked for the first time, and it was a wonderful experience on so many levels.

From the graciousness of my host to the gentlemanly welcome I received from the members at the club to the quality of the course itself, it was an experience I cherish.

In particular, I remember the 6th and 16th holes, the former most memorable for the tee shot and the latter for the approach, bunkering, and green.

And Mr. Ruddy, to answer your question, and speaking only for myself, "I think I do."
"After all, we're not communists."
                             -Don Barzini

Andy Doyle

« Reply #106 on: December 01, 2006, 01:29:02 PM »

Pat:

My response to this thread in 2004 would have been:

Lahinch, Waterville, and your very own European Club.

Can't wait to get back.

Andy

Jason Blasberg

« Reply #107 on: December 01, 2006, 01:46:15 PM »
"Don't you people have jobs?"

Tim Pitner

« Reply #108 on: December 01, 2006, 01:54:31 PM »
"Don't you people have jobs?"

Currently . . . no.  

Robert Emmons

« Reply #109 on: December 01, 2006, 02:01:24 PM »
Jason, thats the correct question

ForkaB

« Reply #110 on: December 01, 2006, 02:04:22 PM »
Pat

What were the best courses you played for the first time this year?  That was the question, was it not?

Any of them in Ireland?

Rich

Doug Braunsdorf

« Reply #111 on: December 01, 2006, 02:11:54 PM »
I have had the good fortune to play several great courses this year, as well as discover some hidden gems.  

Glen Ridge-One of the most thought provoking courses I have played; along with Gulph Mills, the most difficult greens I have ever played on.  Just kills you with papercuts.  It all starts with placement of the tee ball and goes from there.  Not a lot of room for miscues here.  Finding the incorrect quadrant of the green will almost guarantee a three putt.  A course that gets passed over because of its more famous neighbors; people would benefit from seeing this and appreciating what Willie Park Jr. contributed to Golf Course Architecture more.  Clearly should have won 'Restoration of The Year'.

Ridgewood (West/East) -Simply a magnificent golf course and club.  Along with Gulph Mills and HVCC, the most demanding tests of ball-striking of the year.  I thought it played more difficult than Bethpage Black.  Room to play, but again, not a lot of room for miscues.  One error can compound itself quickly.  The tree removal is outstanding.  

Huntingdon Valley (Toomey/Flynn)- Probably the highlight of the year.  A wonderful setting, plenty of room to play.  Such a strong test of golf and so maddeningly difficult, but appealing at the same time in wanting to go back to the first tee after holing out on 18.  Extremely consistent from 1 to 18.  A 3&2 win was sweet as well  ;)

Lehigh-A great routing by Flynn over difficult terrain and a good host ;) I prefer HVCC and RGGC over this Flynn, specifically due to conditioning and my opinion that it's not as consistently good 1 through 18.  

Merion West-Great hosts and a great day in a difficult time for me.  Just a fun course to play--all these little things going on.  

Reading-I KNOW IT'S NOT PRIVATE, but it's so much fun. so quirky.  A great venue for a casual late-afternoon match.  Short, yes, but it's still a good test of golf.  It would be a shame if this course went under the plow.  My first Findlay as well.  A 1-up win here  ;)

Gulph Mills-Is it really, really difficult or is it just me?  A tremendously hard test of golf.  Approach shots are at a premium.  I preferred the more consistent bunkering of LuLu, to put it in perspective of courses Ross designed around the same time, but preferred the playing demands of GMGC.  

Manufacturers-No, I didn't ask for access...only played the front nine, but a good test of golf.  Good par threes all around, requiring a different club and shot each.  Tree removal is ongoing, but course is still grossly overtreed.
 I prefer HV and RG to here, but I want to give it another shot as it was extremely wet the afternoon we played.  Good use of the Sandy Run in different ways throughout the course.  

Philadelphia Cricket (Wissahickon) -Only played a few holes on March 10 of this year before darkness, but very enjoyable.  Best flags in Philadelphia.  I need to see all 18 before making a proper call.  

The three courses I wish I could add to here are the Dixie Cup III courses, which I was not able to participate in.  
« Last Edit: December 01, 2006, 05:32:29 PM by Douglas R. Braunsdorf »
"Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction."

PThomas

« Reply #112 on: December 01, 2006, 02:15:05 PM »
Douglas:  I love your line "Just kills you with papercuts"!
197 played, only 3 to go!!

Lawrence Largent

« Reply #113 on: December 01, 2006, 02:29:12 PM »
Merion East
Plainfield
Aronimink
Rolling Green
Atlantic City C.C.
Burning Tree
Elkridge Club
Cliffs at Walnut Cove
Pete Dye River Course at Virginia Tech
Greensboro C.C. Iriving Park Course

Brock Peyer

« Reply #114 on: December 01, 2006, 09:56:30 PM »
I have only played two courses that were new to me this year and I loved them both (12 rounds so far this year):

1.  I was pleasantly surprised with Osyter Bay in MB.  It's nothing great but it is alot of fun and has become one of my favorites on the Redneck Riviera.  It has a good mix of holes and is quite fun to play.

2.  I played The River Club (Norman) in Suwanee, GA a few months back and really enjoyed it.  It was in great condition and quite challenging.  I know that Norman isn't a big favorite here but I thought that it has some beautiful fairways bunkers along the course and it plays tighter than it looks.

I am trying to play Cateechee sometime before the end of the year but I plan on playing quite a bit more in 2007.

William King

« Reply #115 on: December 09, 2006, 08:28:28 PM »

Yes, Money!  :o

Jeff Shelman

« Reply #116 on: December 10, 2006, 03:04:01 PM »
Just went through my book and didn't play quite as many brand new courses this year.

The list of best ones (in chronological order):
-- The Trophy Club (Lebanon, Ind.) -- first round of the year
-- Texas Star (Euless, Texas) -- with Lou Duran
-- SunRidge Canyon (Fountain Hills, Ariz.)
-- Eau Claire G&CC (Eau Claire, Wis.) -- played John Conley's favorite with Evan Fleisher
-- The Club at Pradera (Parker, Co.)
-- Capstone Club (Brookwood, Ala.)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back