News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Carlyle Rood

Golf Plaques
« on: November 20, 2006, 01:50:57 PM »
What is your take on plaques commemorating events/persons on a(n) historic course?

Generally, if it can be done modestly and it's not a distraction, I don't think it detracts from the experience.

I remember being surprised where Hogan's plaque was at Merion.  I started to appreciate Hogan's course management more when I recognized how much he throttled down off the tee to allow for a flat lie for his approach to the green.

Of course, I recall we had a plaque commemorating John Daly's win at Atlanta Country Club during the BellSouth Classic.  I think it lasted a week before it was either stolen or tossed into the 18th lake.  No one ever had enough enthusiasm to replace it.  Historically, it wasn't especially eventful anyway.  Perhaps there should be a 10-year moratorium before you can add a plaque.  Sometimes I think we're in too much of a hurry trying to elevate an event to "all-time greatest" status.

Isn't there a plaque by the 17th tee at Cypress Point?  I'm trying to recall what it said.  I think I remember photographing it because I liked it; but, I'm drawing a blank.

Merion, Hole 11

Merion, Hole 18

Eric Franzen

Re:Golf Plaques
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2006, 01:56:40 PM »
My favorite plaque is the one on Rancho Park's (LA muni) 18th.
Wish I had a picture... it gives a stroke-by-stroke account of the 12 that Arnold Palmer scored there during the 1960 L.A. Open.

mike_malone

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2006, 02:22:49 PM »
 There is also a plaque at the back of #1 tee at Merion which speaks to the course's historic designation. This plaque along with the one at #11 is simple and not prominently displayed.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2006, 02:27:46 PM by mayday_malone »
AKA Mayday

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2006, 02:48:59 PM »
I messed up, go to the Sleeman Honeymoon thread for a photo of the CPC's 17th hole plaque.

Bob

Voytek Wilczak

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2006, 02:53:24 PM »
They are awesome, if done discreetely and in good taste.

They connect us to the history of the game, and are a great thrill to see.

rjsimper

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2006, 03:05:41 PM »
My favorite plaque is the one on Rancho Park's (LA muni) 18th.
Wish I had a picture... it gives a stroke-by-stroke account of the 12 that Arnold Palmer scored there during the 1960 L.A. Open.

Just for you, Eric.

James Bennett

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2006, 03:44:46 PM »
I messed up, go to the Sleeman Honeymoon thread for a photo of the CPC's 17th hole plaque.

Bob

Cypress Point #17 tee

Plainfield #1 tee

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Eric Franzen

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2006, 03:58:01 PM »
Thanks Ryan!

On a completely different note...

David_Tepper

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2006, 04:04:16 PM »
There are two British Open plaques that come to mind. One is at Royal Lytham & St. Anne's, marking the spot of a famous Open shot by Bobby Jones (on the 17th hole, I think).  The other marks an Open shot (the "rocket from the gorse") by Arnold Palmer at Royal Birkdale. As both are in the rough, neither are especially easy to find.  

rjsimper

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2006, 04:06:59 PM »
What contemporary discussion of golf plaques would be complete without at least mentioning the Phil Mickelson "I bet this'll make Sportscenter" moment in Baltusrol's 18th fairway...

« Last Edit: November 20, 2006, 04:18:25 PM by Ryan Simper »

Chris Cupit

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2006, 04:21:02 PM »
Thanks Ryan!

On a completely different note...

Pathetic :(

JSlonis

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2006, 04:27:40 PM »
Here's one from Carnoustie:

That Trump Plaque is an absolute JOKE! I think I'm going to be sick... :P
« Last Edit: November 20, 2006, 04:30:01 PM by JSlonis »

wsmorrison

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2006, 04:35:19 PM »
The only thing that Trump plaque is good for is taking a leak on.  What a pompous fool that guy is.  Does anybody believe that garbage?  If so, that would is a sad commentary on America.

That coat of arms is about as ugly as his orange comb-over.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2006, 04:36:08 PM by Wayne Morrison »

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2006, 04:39:03 PM »
That Trump is a piece of work. I would not live in one of his buildings for free.

Chris Cupit

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2006, 04:40:05 PM »
Alright, I'll be the crank that says it--I don't like commemorative plaques on the course.  

If you are going to have commemorative plaques, trophies, etc., isn't that what clubhouses are for?

Why clutter up the golf course?

Carlyle Rood

« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2006, 05:06:25 PM »
There are two British Open plaques that come to mind. One is at Royal Lytham & St. Anne's, marking the spot of a famous Open shot by Bobby Jones (on the 17th hole, I think).  The other marks an Open shot (the "rocket from the gorse") by Arnold Palmer at Royal Birkdale. As both are in the rough, neither are especially easy to find.  

I dropped a ball in the bunker on the 17th at Royal Lytham & St. Anne's to attempt the "same" shot as Jones.  I clipped it perfectly off the sand and watched the ball sail lazily and gracefully onto the green...only to discover I didn't hold the green once I got there.  Even with a modern ball and modern equipment it didn't hold the green.  That must have been some shot Jones hit.

Carlyle Rood

« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2006, 05:11:13 PM »

He does earn points for using the term "ensuring" rather than "insuring."

The Beardon plaque is perfect when considering the holiday this week.

rjsimper

« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2006, 05:17:43 PM »
Personally, I like plaques that are done to commemerate history.  Golf is a game so shaped by the history and rich tradition that acknowledging it where appropriate is a valuable exercise.  

Determining the definition of "appropriate" is more of the challenge - I think that plaques have a place on a golf course if done properly.

Philip Gawith

« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2006, 05:24:48 PM »
There is a fantastic plaque on a short hole at Woodhall Spa (maybe 13 or 14?) along the lines of: in a match  between x and y, x holed his tee shot and was followed into the hole by y to halve the hole. What are the odds on that? It is nice that you can find a reason to celebrate amateurs with a plaque as well.

James Bennett

« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2006, 05:38:38 PM »
Words fail me on the Trump plaque.  He operates in a different world to mine.

Just doing some sums, if the numbers are real.  $64 million to build one hole.  At 6% financing, that is about $4M pa.  Assuming rounds of 20,000 PA (probably a lot less) that is $200 in financing per round just to build that one hole.  

I know the numbers from Trump International are probably 'trumped-up' ;) but it redefines 'loss-leader' to me.

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Bob Jenkins

« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2006, 07:36:15 PM »

I recall two at Cherry Hills. On the first tee there is a plaque mentioning Arnie's drive to the green in the last round of the 1960 Open.

Also on the back side, I think  on 14, there was a plaque saying something to the effect it was one of Ben Hogan's favourite holes.

Finally near the 4th tee at Bandon Dunes is a plaque praising the virtues of that fine hole.

Bob Jenkins

PThomas

« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2006, 07:59:49 PM »
a plaque on the second hole at The Golf Club remembers Mr. Jones, the founder
197 played, only 3 to go!!

wsmorrison

« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2006, 08:02:27 PM »
There is a plaque on the current 17th (it used to be the 4th) hole at Philadelphia Country Club where Byron Nelson holed out a 1 iron for eagle on the very difficult dogleg right par 4 during the second playoff in the 1939 US Open; perhaps one of the greatest shots in US Open history--certainly better than Hogan's 1 iron to the fringe of 18 at Merion.  Nelson told me the plaque was in the wrong place, he said he was in the center of the fairway and not left.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2006, 08:10:54 PM »
Here's my favorite plaque story.

My colleague Steve Czaban who normally is spot on when it comes to sports made fun of Both payne stewart and david toms, calling them woosies for laying up even after laying up won them the tournament.  he said "they don't sink plaques for guys who lay up."

My response was "they don't give out trophies to guys who take their shot and miss."

Plaques are fine...but it better be a worthwhile achievement.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2006, 08:11:47 PM by Jay Flemma »

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2006, 09:09:05 PM »
Philip,

That would be the terrifying 12th. The plaque reads:

March 11, 1982
Playing a singles match
L.D. Henshaw holed in one
J.A. Wilson holed out for a half

That's a smack down for the ages.

Mark

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back