GolfClubAtlas.com > Golf Course Architecture

Golf Plaques

<< < (5/7) > >>

Bob Jenkins:

I recall two at Cherry Hills. On the first tee there is a plaque mentioning Arnie's drive to the green in the last round of the 1960 Open.

Also on the back side, I think  on 14, there was a plaque saying something to the effect it was one of Ben Hogan's favourite holes.

Finally near the 4th tee at Bandon Dunes is a plaque praising the virtues of that fine hole.

Bob Jenkins

PThomas:
a plaque on the second hole at The Golf Club remembers Mr. Jones, the founder

wsmorrison:
There is a plaque on the current 17th (it used to be the 4th) hole at Philadelphia Country Club where Byron Nelson holed out a 1 iron for eagle on the very difficult dogleg right par 4 during the second playoff in the 1939 US Open; perhaps one of the greatest shots in US Open history--certainly better than Hogan's 1 iron to the fringe of 18 at Merion.  Nelson told me the plaque was in the wrong place, he said he was in the center of the fairway and not left.

Jay Flemma:
Here's my favorite plaque story.

My colleague Steve Czaban who normally is spot on when it comes to sports made fun of Both payne stewart and david toms, calling them woosies for laying up even after laying up won them the tournament.  he said "they don't sink plaques for guys who lay up."

My response was "they don't give out trophies to guys who take their shot and miss."

Plaques are fine...but it better be a worthwhile achievement.

Mark Bourgeois:
Philip,

That would be the terrifying 12th. The plaque reads:

March 11, 1982
Playing a singles match
L.D. Henshaw holed in one
J.A. Wilson holed out for a half

That's a smack down for the ages.

Mark

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page