News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

RJ_Daley

Re:“CliffsNotes” for more exposure on architects/golf architecture?
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2006, 10:12:59 AM »
Mark Fine, I think your idea is a fine one...  ::) oops... ;D

Honestly, I'm in the camp that it would be a process to help education along, or stimulate interest via a simple emersion into the subject, with the intention of drawing more detailed examination from those that find the subjects interesting.

In a way, didn't Cornish and Whitten start this in their own very short version way with their original biographies and fleeting comments about the architects?  I bet that their simple and entry level examination of archies and the briefest of life histories of them brought more people to enjoy GCA than many other more robust works.

PS:  And I also agree with the multi-media approach.  Particularly with such a visual subject as GCA.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2006, 10:13:48 AM by RJ_Daley »
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

wsmorrison

« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2006, 10:15:45 AM »
Mark,

I have not seen the video.  I'd like to.  I've spoken to Connie Lagerman dozens of times but there may be new information I have not yet heard.  Your interviewing skills are probably a lot better than mine.

Paul Payne

« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2006, 10:16:14 AM »
Mark,

That is a great idea. I hope it catches on, I would like to see some of them hit the air.

On the more basic level (trying to draw new players) I had a thought for you on a series of snippets on GCA featuring comedians who golf. You could place a guy like Ray Romano on say a classic Redan hole. The theme could be "couldn't they have made this easier?". The catch of course being that his dreamed up easier hole is so rediculously easy the viewer gets an understanding of why the original design was good.

Anyway, I wish you well with the video series and hope it gets picked up by TGC if it hasn't already.

Mark_Fine

« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2006, 10:41:39 AM »
Wayne,
Didn't I show an early version to you and Mayday when you were up at Lehigh?  I believe we gave a DVD copy to Connie so if you see her, check it out.  We kid her that she is a natural for TV interviews.

RJ Daley,
The C&W book is great.  But again, how many people are going to buy a book like that?  You can't very well send that out to 400 club members can you?  

Paul,
I don't know if we can post part of our video on this site.  I'll talk to Tom and see what he says.  I think everyone would find it interesting.  
« Last Edit: November 20, 2006, 10:42:03 AM by Mark_Fine »

ForkaB

« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2006, 10:42:49 AM »
Vasari did Michelangelo in 50 pages or so, and he was his hero and so far ahead of any GCA vis a vis talent and accomplishment that it is insulting to even raise the question.

Of course one could do a "Cliff notes" on GCA.  If it were Cliff Clavin it would take about 20 pages, if Heathcliff maybe 600, if the Cliff Course maybe 80.  I'd do it if I weren't so busy.  Go for it, budding scribes!

RJ_Daley

« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2006, 11:28:58 AM »
Rich, while your book is stated to be a momento of time spent at Royal Dornoch, and seems to be intended as an ex post facto reflection of the experience; is it not also a sort of multi-media Cliff's Notes style look at the course?  In that regard, I find it would also serve as a quickly digested appetizer and stimulant to go there and experience it.  Perhaps you are too modest to say that... ;D 8)
« Last Edit: November 20, 2006, 11:29:39 AM by RJ_Daley »
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Mark_Fine

« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2006, 11:44:52 AM »
I have a copy of Rich's book and it is just that!  It is a quick read and very informative.  I recommend it!

Mark_Fine

« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2006, 12:08:15 PM »
Wayne,
I just heard from Mayday and I did show it to you.  You must be having a "senior" moment  ;D

Garland Bayley

« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2006, 12:42:17 PM »
Mark,

Have you looked at RT Jones' book on better golf through understanding architecture? How successful was it? Is it an indicator of what success you might have?
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Mark_Fine

« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2006, 01:40:12 PM »
Garland,
I believe our publisher (Wiley) for our book Bunkers, Pits & Other Hazards probably has access to numbers on titles like that one.  I will check but I suspect it is like most golf architecture books which is fairly low.  

Garland Bayley

« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2006, 01:53:53 PM »
I noticed that after the hardcover some years back, it was reissued as a paperback perhaps last year. Thought that may indicate some success.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

JESII

« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2006, 03:19:43 PM »
Mark,

What would be the plan to actually get this into people's hands?

Mark_Fine

« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2006, 04:10:04 PM »
Jim,
I haven't thought that far ahead.  I'm first trying to convince myself it is worth the time and effort which is why I was looking for some feedback on this site.  The cost of the book/booklet (call it what you want) would be relatively inexpensive which makes distribution options easier and more plentiful.  Forrest and I like to give out our Bunkers book but it is so darn expensive (retails for $80) that it is tough to do.  We might be able to get companies to subsidize it and do mailings to all Tillinghast courses or all ___ courses.  Do you have any suggestions of what might work?  

JESII

« Reply #38 on: November 21, 2006, 01:05:46 PM »
Mark,

I wouldn't want to tel you how to do it, I was just hoping you're not expecting the people who don't read golf architecture today to seek it out because it is shorter.

I think directed mailings to the board and green committees of all (or some, or whatever) Flynn courses (or whomever) would have value as an educational tool on the principles their course was built on.

A DVD sounds more effective to me, but I have not the first clue about production costs.

Emmy

« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2006, 02:30:39 PM »
JES II:

I like the idea of a DVD. I bet you can get a realistic feel for production costs from Mitch Laurance, one of our newest GCA members. He's an accomplished host/producer of a TV Show and DVD "On The Green Golf Video Showcase".

When it comes to producing DVD's it often seems, you get what you pay for.

Mark_Fine

« Reply #40 on: November 21, 2006, 02:52:45 PM »
I like the idea of a DVD.  That could be an interesting way to do it.  

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back