News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bob_Huntley

O/T Google....
« on: November 21, 2006, 02:00:25 PM »
With a market cap of $150 billion, does anyone think that in its grab for revenues, the one time superb search function has become compromised?

Bob

Bob_Huntley

Re:O/T Google....
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2006, 02:02:24 PM »
I started this because I have searched for a bunch of Golf Course architecture features with limited success......unless I got down to page twenty,

Bob

JESII

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2006, 02:04:50 PM »
Bob,

I have not noticed what you have, but my confidence in markets means if you are correct there will be a replacement at somepoint.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2006, 02:07:10 PM »
Compromised implies some expectation??

The end result is one will just have to search further, past the paying clients links. No?
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Eric Franzen

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2006, 02:08:04 PM »
Please expand...

Google quite frequently change their search algorithm to deal with various fraud attempts releated to their search ranking. So sometimes search results may differ from time to time. This sounds a bit extreme though.

Search is still Google's core business and their team of engineers are as big as ever. But sure, things can start to slide when you least expect...

Try the same search query on www.live.com and report back.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2006, 02:09:26 PM by Eric Franzen »

JohnV

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2006, 02:11:39 PM »
I haven't noticed too much problem unless I was searching for a course in an area with lots of resorts and hotels like Florida which seem to clog things up anytime you put the word Golf in the search.

Lou_Duran

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2006, 02:23:23 PM »
I just did a Google driving directions search for Rustic Canyon and it couldn't find it.  I tried Mapquest next with the same information and had no problems.

OT- Golfcourse.com

Do the folks here like the new format?  Is there a way to get the information under the previous format?

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2006, 02:32:29 PM »
To Bob's question, I've found that the majority of search results that come up are commercial in nature....you really have to dig hard to find a (relatively) non-commercial site with the information you need.
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

John Keenan

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2006, 02:35:31 PM »
Bob

my guess is the sites on the first first 19 page did not pay so they are "found" later in search.
The things a man has heard and seen are threads of life, and if he pulls them carefully from the confused distaff of memory, any who will can weave them into whatever garments of belief please them best.

Eric Franzen

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2006, 02:56:23 PM »
You can certainly pay to expose your business in google's search engine. Those ads are either displayed before the search results (marked as "sponsored links") or on the right side of the page.

Why does so many commercial sites receive high rankings? Because they in many cases apply internal or external knowledge about search engine optimization for their pages.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back