News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

DMoriarty

Re: Not Enough Challenge For Skilled Golfer
« Reply #150 on: May 31, 2003, 10:04:51 PM »
Tim, sounds then like we have a bet!  A win/win for the rest of these guys, no doubt.

I had guessed that the day you had your eagle putt, the pin was in the front half of the green, and that your ball was either barely on the front of the green, or actually on the fringe. Am I correct or incorrect?

You may be right about more long hitters fading the ball.  I really have no idea, I had just always heard that better golfers hit a draw to get more run.  But I guess with today's technology they dont need run.  

Do you believe that three drivable par fours, all with hazard left and bailout right is design variety?  Do you want to make our bet on #3 as well (I will use a 3-wood)?
I've always thought that the tee shot on 3 felt a little too much like the tee shot on 12, but consider this a minor blemish.  As for 7, it doesnt have the same feel at all, and doesnt present the same type of risk reward calculation.  Not many even consider going for it on 7, and of those that do, not many make it.  
  No, I don't want to add No. 3 to the bet.  I have noted in the past that 3 just doesnt quite work as intended.  
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

THuckaby2

« Reply #151 on: June 02, 2003, 06:39:31 AM »
Several comments:

a) mission accomplished:  Tommy is back posting.  JakaB's "he'll be back within three days" proves to be right on.  This thread proves its worth for this alone.

b) I'd kill to caddie for David W. in this "match", if it occurs, not that he needs my help, just that I'd love to be there.  Interesting thing is, I WILL be in the area and playing golf Fri June 20 - seemingly 5 days too late - oh well... But just as fodder for the "raters get everything" take that seems to come up here from time to time, I won't be playing Rustic - I'm gonna be playing Moorpark CC.  So close and yet so far... gotta do it for GD "best new" rating.

c) I never said I drove the green on 12 - I said I got close.  I was short right - as I recall I had a pitch of 25 yards or so.  How it got there I don't recall - I just remember it being not all that tremendous of a shot.  In any case my take remains that that green is so wild, it doesn't matter where your 2nd comes in from, there's no signifcantly better or worse way.  The regulars there likely can and will refute this, though I haven't read a good refutation of that yet... I still can't see how 80 yards back is gonna be better than right next to the green... but hey, I too hope to find this out more in person some day.

d) to me "interest" off the tee is required for greatness, "challenge" off the tee might not be (for the top echelon), taking into acccount what Mr. Lewis said re Pine Valley.  Obviously that is a great course that doesn't - for him - hold challenge off the tee.  I'd be surprised if it didn't hold his interest, however, one way or the other.

e) I am DAMN glad I have no working home computer and thus was out of this argument for three days!

TH

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #152 on: June 02, 2003, 10:06:30 AM »
Tom, The reason I was back in four days (so quite obviously Jackassabee was wrong:)) was because there was some stimulating architectural disscussion, not the same old, I'm going to bend them till they break stuff that seems to be the norm here nowadays. The constant confrontational attitude of some actually is tiring, and I think you would even agree with that. Do you see me arguing or knocking any particpants character like John does with me, in any of my posts?

Nor do I see it in yours. And that thankfully is somewhat of a relief. At least someone else isn't arguing. Your discussing--big, huge difference.

And if you think I was swearing off the site for good, go back and read what I was saying in my original thread.

THuckaby2

« Reply #153 on: June 02, 2003, 10:21:04 AM »
Tommy:

I'm just happy to have you back one way or the other, bottom line!

So my apologies for giving credit to your "rival".  If that offended you that was surely not my intent.

Just got the word I shall be playing Moorpark CC, early am June 20... oh the things I do for the good of Golf Digest Magazine.   ;)

TH

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back