News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike_Young

Re:Why don't people post under their real names or be deleted..
« Reply #125 on: November 10, 2006, 03:04:18 PM »

The bottom line is I remember very clearly the day Ran limited the board to 1500 members and requested that everyone post under their real names. I am here daily and don't recall that request being lifted....

After watching this board for several years I can say without a doubt posting under real names makes for a much better site.

Over the last year this site has become a joke.

The quality of the discussions is pathetic..

The OT posts are out of control... It is sad what this has become. A little accountability and class goes a long way.

Donnie,

I couldn't agree more.

I will admit to an occassional foray into OT discussions, but, everything you said is on target.

OT topics and threads that ask inane questions should be deleted ASAP.

Like a lot of architecture, this site is being "dumbed down"
Second that...
AND has any one answered the question yet????  WHY DONT PEOPLE POST UNDER THEIR REAL NAME ?
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #126 on: November 10, 2006, 03:04:37 PM »

EUREKA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please someone mark this date for posterity - this is the first, and only time, in the long history of this forum that Mr. Mucci has even hinted at imperfection.

That's because it rarely occurs.

WHEW!  I was getting worried... for a few minutes there I thought you were freaking out on me with this admission.  Glad to see the old Patrick is back.

;D

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #127 on: November 10, 2006, 03:06:19 PM »
Mike Young - it has been answered several times - if you care, go back and read through the entire thread.

I continue to find it much ado about nothing anyway... I met you at Cuscowilla, and enjoyed that... but really, how do I know the guy I met is the guy posting now?  Of course I believe you... but the point is "real" names are as easy to fake as anything else.  I could change mine to John Smith right now....

TH

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #128 on: November 10, 2006, 03:08:34 PM »
In case anyone wants to save this remarkable post from Mr. Mucci, which I've saved as a photo I call Hell Freezes Over.  Limited edition prints will be available soon.

"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Sean Leary

« Reply #129 on: November 10, 2006, 03:13:31 PM »
Huckaby just turned that into his screensaver..

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #130 on: November 10, 2006, 03:13:58 PM »
Kevin - fantastic - put me down for an 16x20 size print - I'm off to get a suitable frame.

;D ;D

And Sean, that is a hell of an idea... only it would take away the pic I now use - Sand Hills #1.  Few other golf holes prove how wrong Mucci is about all of this, so it is a daily reminder anyway of his folly.

TH
« Last Edit: November 10, 2006, 03:15:04 PM by Tom Huckaby »

Mike_Young

« Reply #131 on: November 10, 2006, 03:19:11 PM »
Mike Young - it has been answered several times - if you care, go back and read through the entire thread.

I continue to find it much ado about nothing anyway... I met you at Cuscowilla, and enjoyed that... but really, how do I know the guy I met is the guy posting now?  Of course I believe you... but the point is "real" names are as easy to fake as anything else.  I could change mine to John Smith right now....

TH
TOM,
I READ THE PREVIOUS POST BUT SEE NO REASONS THAT HOLD WATER IMHO.  I ALSO AGREE W/YOU THAT IT IS EASY TO POST UNDER A FALSE NAME.  THAT SHOULD BE EASY TO RECTIFY VIA SOME TYPE OF VERIFICATION...IN MOST CASES IT IS NOT A PROBLEM BUT THERE ARE SEVERAL WITH SEVERAL NAMES THAT SPOUT SEVERAL VARYING OPINIONS JUST FOR CONTROVERSY....
IF THE SITE IS SO OPPOSED TO PEOPLE POSTING UNDER REAL NAMES WOULD IT BE MORE JUST IF EVERYONE WAS REQUIRED TO POST UNDER A MONIKER , NICKNAME OR USER NAME.....JMO
STOP BY WHEN DOWN THIS WAY.
MIKE

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #132 on: November 10, 2006, 03:22:20 PM »
Mike - very cool, that's all understood.  I guess I just don't see the big harm being done... and I say that having suffered personal on-line harm from each of JakaB and Tuco in the past, and Hamilton B. Hearst seemingly continually.  So I'm not blind to how this can suck.  I just don't see it worth complaining about all that much given how this is all a fiction anyway.....

TH

RJ_Daley

« Reply #133 on: November 10, 2006, 05:16:49 PM »
AND has any one answered the question yet????  WHY DONT PEOPLE POST UNDER THEIR REAL NAME ?

Well Mike, I'm sure you have already noticed the answer to this many times over the years, because it comes up so often.  One reason - not the only one is; some of the annonymous or nome d'plumes are "in the biz" or in a position that would compromise them, or someone else.  They want to have a take on issues, but can't afford to become identified as outspoken about a matter.

I personally find reasons some of those who give the "in the biz" excuse to generally be a weak arguement.  But, I'm not in the biz, so what the heck do I know.

This entire thread might be the 10th time the same subject has gone multi-pages...

No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

paul cowley

« Reply #134 on: November 10, 2006, 09:35:32 PM »
....personally I think that those who are afraid to voice their opinions and use their real names because they are 'in the biz', might want to re think why they are there to begin with...especially if they can't express themselves with out fear of repression.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2006, 09:49:03 PM by paul cowley »
paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

Tim Copeland

« Reply #135 on: November 10, 2006, 09:45:22 PM »
....personally I think that those who are afraid to voice their opinions because they are 'in the biz', might want to re think why they are there to begin with...especially if they can't express themselves with out fear of repression.

It is not "fear of repression" for me....it is respect

Ethics is another word for it....golf teaches it and the business demands it if you are to stay in it.

Every time I drive to work I am trying my best that day to construct that course or do renovations....every time Doak designs he is doing what he thinks is best....Nicklaus, fazio and every design associate that works for them are doing the same I am sure.  When you are in the battle of building a course it doesnt always turn out the way you wanted....but you tried.  I refuse to second guess decisions when I dont have all of the facts.

Who am I to question the circumstances that each architect worked under or each golf course superintendent works under to make their course the best it can be.

Sure I have my opinions just like everyone else......but my respect for the game and the business is greater

Thats just how I roll
I need a nickname so I can tell all that I know.....

paul cowley

« Reply #136 on: November 10, 2006, 09:56:10 PM »
Tim .....I modified my original post for clarification.

You are using your real name [well, maybe  :)], and expressing your views......so what is your point about what I have said?

Actually, having re read your post, it seems you are just defining your views as well.........so, welcome aboard.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2006, 10:01:54 PM by paul cowley »

Mike_Young

« Reply #137 on: November 10, 2006, 10:00:08 PM »
....personally I think that those who are afraid to voice their opinions and use their real names because they are 'in the biz', might want to re think why they are there to begin with...especially if they can't express themselves with out fear of repression.
Paul,
I thought repression was not a concern anymore with the new balls.....I used to use a 90 in the winter and a 100 in the summer but I thought repression was just for wound balls.

Tim Copeland

« Reply #138 on: November 10, 2006, 10:05:50 PM »
My point is....I dont slam architects or courses or Superintendents....period

I will not hide behind a name to express my feelings.  Others can do it if they wish but it is not my style.  I have my opinions about architecture but it is something for me to practice and hone in the field.....not at a computer screen.

I am here to see photos of courses and read the comments of people here that practice ethical behavior.....the other stuff here is just drivel from people that have never strapped on boots and gotten in the mud

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #139 on: November 10, 2006, 10:07:53 PM »
Mike,

Just look at who protests posting under their real names...I don't see any architects or supers.

paul cowley

« Reply #140 on: November 10, 2006, 10:19:14 PM »
tim....u got strap on boots?....damn i can just only find lace ups.

Tim Copeland

« Reply #141 on: November 10, 2006, 10:26:42 PM »
tim....u got strap on boots?....damn i can just only find lace ups.

Pull ons...strap ons.....dont have time to lace up while kicking guys out the door in the morning... ;D

8)

James Bennett

« Reply #142 on: November 11, 2006, 12:36:37 AM »
I like Hamilton B Hearst!  I enjoy his posts.  He makes me consider my point of view from the view of others.  Not necessarily all others, but others.  Hamilton is a part of the great world of golf's opinions.  Just like many of us posters/know-it alls.

I like to think Hamilton B Hearst exists.  I would be very surprised if Hamilton existed that he keyed in his own comments onto this web-site.  I expect he uses his personal secretary.  I'm fine with that, and I expect his personal secretary (he or she) is ok with that as well.

By the way, my middle name is William (as was my grandfather's first name).

Oh, and thanks Hamilton and Borat for the invite for a game soon.  Much appreciated.  I'm really looking forward to it.  I can't make it for a few months, but if you are visiting down under this summer please call (the marina has some spare berths in Adelaide).   ;)

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Kyle Harris

« Reply #143 on: November 11, 2006, 10:34:00 AM »
Apparently, Kavanaugh's reputation preceded even me.

I've heard of much discussion at Dixie Cup v. 2005 as to whether or not I was actually John Kavanaugh.

I assure you, I'm not.  ;D

Brock Peyer

« Reply #144 on: November 11, 2006, 02:00:34 PM »
Big deal, who cares, post under whatever name you post under but just make it interesting and don't talk about anyone's Momma.

Also, I guess that I am not creative enough to give myself a nickname.

Tim Copeland

« Reply #145 on: November 11, 2006, 02:26:45 PM »
don't talk about anyone's Momma.

I love most of the courses I have done as much as I love my momma

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #146 on: November 11, 2006, 11:30:47 PM »
Now we have someone posting as Racetrack George.
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Sean Leary

« Reply #147 on: November 12, 2006, 01:07:22 PM »
What about posting under a fake name if you are a member of a very private, prestigious club and you

A) don't want people asking for (or hinting around for) access

and/or

B) disagree with work being done there, but don't want to very publicly denounce such changes (say ANGC, for example)..

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #148 on: November 12, 2006, 01:16:12 PM »
Sean,

If you are a member of a private club and have trouble with what they are doing you shoud air your troubles to the club.  If you want to take it to the next level you can air your problems here but only under your real name.  Anon bashing of a club where you are a member may be the most cowardly thing of all.

If you are a member of a private club and don't want to be bothered just say no...You will be found out anyway no matter what name you use and the private IM's will fly much like they did when one of our friends got into Merion...I think Huck and Paul Thomas got the news before he did.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #149 on: November 13, 2006, 09:58:38 AM »
One of the greatest pleasures of belonging to a prestigous club is introducing guests, I for one am delighted to offer fellow golfers a day at my club. Saving them 70% on the visitor fee is a bonus, my usual request is we play for the wine over lunch and as the majority of my guests aren't "gentlemen" I usually lose. If I get an invitation to visit their club it's a bonus but not an expectation.

Maybe it's a British thing but who wants to join an exclusive club and play with the same fellow members all the time. Surely one of the greatest pleasures is taking a guest for the day and seeing how they enjoy the experience. Or am I just old fashioned??

Stand up and be counted on GCA, save the false name for the rating visits.
Cave Nil Vino

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back