News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Paul Richards

« Last Edit: August 14, 2020, 04:24:24 PM by Paul Richards »
"Something has to change, otherwise the never-ending arms race that benefits only a few manufacturers will continue to lead to longer courses, narrower fairways, smaller greens, more rough, more expensive rounds, and other mechanisms that will leave golf's future in doubt." -  TFOG

John Kavanaugh

Re: The Beverly Country Club @ The Fried Egg video
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2020, 06:20:47 PM »
Great to see you back Paul!!! Do you like Beverly?

Paul Richards

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2020, 10:53:23 PM »
Hi, John.  In all honesty, after getting to play three rounds there in July, it blew me away. 

It is so hard to fathom that this was the course I began caddying at, some 41 years ago.  Back then, it was a 'tree farm' - now, without pretense, it is in the top 10 of Donald Ross courses.  Just amazing what they have done there.  The video is amazing, but it is even better in person!
"Something has to change, otherwise the never-ending arms race that benefits only a few manufacturers will continue to lead to longer courses, narrower fairways, smaller greens, more rough, more expensive rounds, and other mechanisms that will leave golf's future in doubt." -  TFOG

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2020, 08:31:04 PM »
I talked with a Golf Magazine panelist today who played there last week. He said it was a top 50 course and 2nd best in Chicago.  High praise.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2020, 09:17:58 PM »
I talked with a Golf Magazine panelist today who played there last week. He said it was a top 50 course and 2nd best in Chicago.  High praise.

Those types of comments from raters are counter productive.

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2020, 10:52:42 PM »

Those types of comments from raters are counter productive.

I tried to qualify it with Golf Magazine which is more respectable than that pay to play behemoth.

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2020, 11:21:46 PM »
Great work, and a very thoughtful video.
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Terry Lavin

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2020, 09:24:59 AM »
Who knows how the rankings will view the newest iteration of Beverly, but as a member since 1987, I can say that the Ron Prichard/Tyler Rae Beverly is a phenomenal upgrade. It’s tough, beautiful and fun to play. It is clearly one of the very best in Chicago and that is in no way hyperbolic, even though some might suggest built-in bias on my part.

All of the “fat” has been removed, exposing the great bones of the land. All of the “wrong” trees are gone, the four greens that had been flattened out in the 60’s are now full of internal contour and the course is at least four shots harder despite adding only a few new back tees.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Mike Hendren

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2020, 12:00:18 PM »
Very impressive. The course now very much resembles Ross’ typical drawings.  I find this a bit unusual since I have the impression that Ross, and many of his peers rarely built what they drew on canvas where they inked in some degree of hyperbole.   

I could be very wrong here. Perhaps historical pics would be insightful.

Regardless, kudos to the club.

Mike

Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

David Whitmer

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2020, 09:59:37 PM »
I was fortunate to spend a few days last month in Chicago playing Skokie, Shoreacres, Old Elm, Chicago Golf Club, and Beverly in a four-day span. I had never played Beverly before, so am unable to speak of the “before and after.” But I really, really liked it. In that lineup, though, it was probably 4 or 5 out of the 5 tracks. That speaks to how great I think they all are. Beverly was wonderful.

Not the topic of this thread, but I was totally overwhelmed by Old Elm. Absolutely fell in love with that golf course.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back