News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tiger_Bernhardt

Re:Why don't people post under their real names or be deleted..
« Reply #75 on: November 09, 2006, 06:04:30 PM »
SC has always been my 2nd favorite program. There is so much I do not understand about the ability to play with a manipulate software and programs. It is scary to think what could happen to our election system/democracy now without a true paper trail.Oh I am Spartacus. I would not want to drift off point here. Question?? what is the best golf course within 2 miles of SC?

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #76 on: November 09, 2006, 06:10:25 PM »
As has LSU been my 2nd fave, for many years.   ;D

Now hmmmmm... 2 miles from SC campus doesn't get one very far..... there may not BE a course in that circle.  But expand it to 10 and you get LACC.   ;D

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #77 on: November 09, 2006, 06:15:07 PM »
I guess I was asking does SC have a golf course for the school? aka a Yale, Ohio State, LSU, Stanford etc. You can see I tossed ours in with some very good company.

Mike I cannot think of one good reason not to post under ones name.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2006, 06:16:15 PM by Tiger_Bernhardt »

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #78 on: November 09, 2006, 06:17:14 PM »
 ;D

SC has no school-owned course - no land down there for it.  You've been to the LA Colosseum, right?  SC campus is adjacent... pretty damn awful urban area... not exactly a golf hot-spot.

I'd guess the golf team has no problems though... they must play at LACC or Wilshire or Brentwood or one of those near downtown.

TH

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #79 on: November 09, 2006, 06:17:51 PM »
More 'Football' chat again, boys...tut-tut!
I simply love it when an OT thread is taken beyond the original OT-ness into further OT-territory.
The poor thread originator must wonder what he has to do to keep you boys on the straight and narrow... ;)

Lurve,
The One and Only FAT-BALDY-DRUMMER!!!
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #80 on: November 09, 2006, 06:21:26 PM »
FBD is right - we are bad boys, JB.  But dammit Martin, this is like trying NOT to talk about the European/real type of "football" during the World Cup or Champions League final time... our American college football is REALLY heating up these days.

But we are bad boys.

;D ;D

BTW, you are Martin, but you will always be FBD in our hearts.

;D

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #81 on: November 09, 2006, 06:22:29 PM »
FBD, when a thread has I am Spartacus as a theme, what is OT?

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #82 on: November 09, 2006, 06:26:05 PM »
FBD, when a thread has I am Spartacus as a theme, what is OT?

Very good point.   ;D

BTW, I found where USC golf team plays... they list several home courses... a few of which I got right.  Just shows that it pays to get good at this game early in life.   ;)

http://usctrojans.cstv.com/sports/m-golf/archive/usc-m-golf-courses.html

Daryl "Turboe" Boe

« Reply #83 on: November 09, 2006, 06:27:30 PM »
I have a novel idea for those who are so concerned that someone who doesnt have two proper looking names as their username might actually flame someone on here.  Why not just tell people not to flame people and punish those who do.  Name or no name just punish those who comit the crime not everyone preemptively.

I dont see what having Haywood Jablowme or some other name that no one knows is legit changes a darn thing.  I would think that more people know who Turboe is more so than someone who might just happen to sign up with Larry Smith for his username.  

If you have a problem with someone than take care of it, but dont punish everyone.  I have posted for quite a while with Daryl Boe as my user name then I went back to Turboe just cause I like it.  I didnt consiously think "Oh good now I can flame and defame anyone I want and no one will ever know who I am."
Instagram: @thequestfor3000

"Time spent playing golf is not deducted from ones lifespan."

"We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #84 on: November 09, 2006, 06:34:46 PM »
Huckaby,
that is a transparently PATHETIC attempt at legitimising you and Mr Bernhardt's current thread-jack.

Consider yourselves on double-secret probation until Bishop AkaJaka has time to hear your confessions... ;)

Tafordee Blowhun :o.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #85 on: November 09, 2006, 06:39:06 PM »
Martin, Me thinks kneeling at the box to confess to Barny F is a bit more than I could stand. Turboe, I am sad. I thought your parents gave you a name that would serve you well in life. Who wants to be a Daryl when you can be a Turboe?

Mike_Young

« Reply #86 on: November 09, 2006, 06:42:26 PM »
Turboe,
I understand some of your points but think about this.
A guy post under his real name and has one personality, then has another where he poses under another personality....
He comes to your course to play as a rater or writer or whatever and poses with his real name.....yet bashing the place with his other name...
Why should  owners and architects have to endure this type of stuff.  I am confident there are people on this site with several names and personalities.....
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

John_Conley

Re:-----
« Reply #87 on: November 09, 2006, 06:51:34 PM »
And most people pick up a check without going on the internet and whining about it...

If this is a stab at me I find it feeble.  I pick up plenty of checks for friends and will gladly rehash the details of the evening where I told my tablemates I had less than $30 in my pocket and would be leaving early to watch a basketball game... most likely before the check arrived.

I'll admit, sometimes I do go out of my way to make a point when others may just ignore it.  I'm willing to be accountable.  My goal in life isn't to do what somebody else would in every situation.

Feel free to hit me with a Private Message if you care to recount the evening 22 months ago.  Surely I'm the only one that found the behavior of the wine drinkers insensitive.  Oh, I forgot.  Eric also couldn't believe the boorishness of those running up a check and then asking us (he had water with his pasta) to pay part of their share.

Now for you, Jaka.  You have cast baseless aspersions that I'm gay, a friend is as well, and miss no attempt to assail my character.  In fact, you'd cross the street to do it.  Your recently self-appointed position as the arbiter of message board protocol struck me as laughable.

Most of the folks on here post under their own name.  I confess, I don't know why someone wouldn't.  Ask Barney, maybe he knows.

John Kavanaugh

Re:-----
« Reply #88 on: November 09, 2006, 07:17:08 PM »
And most people pick up a check without going on the internet and whining about it...

If this is a stab at me I find it feeble.  I pick up plenty of checks for friends and will gladly rehash the details of the evening where I told my tablemates I had less than $30 in my pocket and would be leaving early to watch a basketball game... most likely before the check arrived.

I'll admit, sometimes I do go out of my way to make a point when others may just ignore it.  I'm willing to be accountable.  My goal in life isn't to do what somebody else would in every situation.

Feel free to hit me with a Private Message if you care to recount the evening 22 months ago.  Surely I'm the only one that found the behavior of the wine drinkers insensitive.  Oh, I forgot.  Eric also couldn't believe the boorishness of those running up a check and then asking us (he had water with his pasta) to pay part of their share.

Now for you, Jaka.  You have cast baseless aspersions that I'm gay, a friend is as well, and miss no attempt to assail my character.  In fact, you'd cross the street to do it.  Your recently self-appointed position as the arbiter of message board protocol struck me as laughable.

Most of the folks on here post under their own name.  I confess, I don't know why someone wouldn't.  Ask Barney, maybe he knows.

I can't believe anyone would pay $7 to see a movie when you can read posts like the above....not that there is anything wrong with that.

Are you delusional...first brushfires and now you think I called you a homosexual because I said once that you would prefer to stay at a gay friends mansion rather than with us at Cuscowilla.  Who ever talks about staying at a mansion with a friend when we have a package deal of $100 per night including golf at a top twenty golf course.  I am sorry that I went over the line with the gay reference but hell, who lives in a mansion anyway...and calls it that.  I was wrong for using that language.  Just more proof that we need to post under our real names if I wasn't already doing so by then.  What more proof do you need.

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #89 on: November 09, 2006, 07:50:07 PM »
I find Borat funny, and I'm Jewish.  I also find Woody Allen funny, even though his humor may be construed as anti-Semitic (even though he is Jewish himself).  Sacha Baron Cohen is Jewish.  He would not make his character an anti-Semite without an objective.  We see, through Borat's interactions with people, that his objective is to demonstrate how truly stupid and prejudiced some Americans are.  There's one skit where he visits a ranch in Texas whose owner is clearly anti-Semitic.  The juxtaposition of Borat's false, humorous anti-Semitism with this guy's genuine hatred of Jews is proof of Cohen's project with Borat.

Anyway, I post under my real name, and it would be nice if everyone did so as well, which would put us all on level footing.  Someone using a pseudonym as a shield for making silly/controversial/mean-spirited comments seems a bit cowardly to me.  But I don't see the problem with a "pen name" in this case, unless people have some paranoid notion that they aren't safe by broadcasting their real names along with their posts.  A pseudonym worked for Mark Twain.  Works for Bob Dylan.

I do like the occasional obvious fictional characters who appear on here, though.  Our Borat comes to mind here.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #90 on: November 09, 2006, 07:54:36 PM »
I'm so naive...I didn't know Freddie Mercury was gay until the day he died and didn't know Woody Allen was an anti-Semite until just now.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2006, 07:55:51 PM by John Kavanaugh »

Bill Shamleffer

« Reply #91 on: November 09, 2006, 08:21:57 PM »
I would not feel right insisting that one either post under his/her real name or be deleted.  Besides, how could we be sure the name was real?  However, I will state that this is the only site on the internet in which I post comments and one of the reasons I think that this site is so good is because most posting is signed off under the poster's real name.  Try reading posting on sites where all post anonymously or under silly nicknames.  The postings are predominantly ignorant, bombastic and irrational.  (Especially try reading the trash posted on political sites of all sides.  I really believe postings would rise in quality if everyone posted under their given names.)

Although postings on this site can get heated, there is a certain amount of civility which one retains when posting under your own name and accountability.  I do mean this as to be interpreted as a judgment upon those who feel a need to poster under a nickname, but just as a reflection of why I think this site is so good.  Also, for those who are now better known under their nicknames, I like Shivas' idea of listing his given name at the bottom.
“The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet.”  Damon Runyon

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #92 on: November 10, 2006, 03:02:34 AM »

Now hmmmmm... 2 miles from SC campus doesn't get one very far..... there may not BE a course in that circle.  But expand it to 10 and you get LACC.   ;D

Tom,
Sunset Fields, the once grand and dynamic 36 hole facility for public, Pay-as-you-play golf was located not far from USC on the Eastern edge of the Baldwin Hills.

Also, still somewhat close to USC was the original site for The Los Angeles Country Club, located just off of Western and Pico. To this day, that area is still called the Country Club district.

Here is a link to Google Maps showing the old LACC site:

The Los Angeles Country Club

Just so you know, Country Club drive still runs in the same manner as the original road into the club. However Arlington was added much later!

Ted Kramer

« Reply #93 on: November 10, 2006, 08:45:12 AM »
I don't want shivas to change his screen name.
Ted Kramer is my real name.
No middle name, just Ted Kramer.

-Ted

Voytek Wilczak

« Reply #94 on: November 10, 2006, 08:48:31 AM »
I find Borat funny, and I'm Jewish.  

A few questions:

1. Would you also find Borat's character funny if you were Kazakh and told that your sister is a pig?

2. Would you also find the character funny if Borat were not named Borat, but Melvin, was a Jewish character with all the trappings and stereotypes, and the film made crude fun of Israel and Jews, not Kazakhstan and Kazakhs?

3. If #2 were the case, would ADL scream antisemitism?
« Last Edit: November 10, 2006, 08:50:20 AM by Voytek Wilczak »

Daryl "Turboe" Boe

« Reply #95 on: November 10, 2006, 08:49:40 AM »

Tom,
Sunset Fields, the once grand and dynamic 36 hole facility for public, Pay-as-you-play golf was located not far from USC on the Eastern edge of the Baldwin Hills.

Also, still somewhat close to USC was the original site for The Los Angeles Country Club, located just off of Western and Pico. To this day, that area is still called the Country Club district.

Here is a link to Google Maps showing the old LACC site:

The Los Angeles Country Club

Just so you know, Country Club drive still runs in the same manner as the original road into the club. However Arlington was added much later!

Thats pretty cool to look at.  It would be great if someone had the information and could overlay a rough layout of how the holes ran back then over the top of the currentday map.  It would be interesting to see what was where.  But alas I am sure that kind of information is probably hard to come by from that era.

Daryl
« Last Edit: November 10, 2006, 08:51:10 AM by Turboe »
Instagram: @thequestfor3000

"Time spent playing golf is not deducted from ones lifespan."

"We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #96 on: November 10, 2006, 09:53:39 AM »
Tommy - that was cool... and it is fun to imagine how the area was at one time.

But everything you referenced is moved or NLE... are there really any golf courses within two miles of USC?  From my knowledge of that area, well.... I kinda hope not.   ;)

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #97 on: November 10, 2006, 10:00:04 AM »
Isn't Chester Washington, right alongside LAX, the closest 18 hole course to the USC campus?
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #98 on: November 10, 2006, 10:12:49 AM »
Isn't Chester Washington, right alongside LAX, the closest 18 hole course to the USC campus?

Must be.  That's sure what I was thinking of.  I just don't think that's within two miles... but now I am really curious and I am off to check....

answer - whoa!  Way off.  Surprised me - it seemed closer - but it's 13.7 miles from USC campus to Chester Washington.  Several courses would be closer than that I think.

TH
« Last Edit: November 10, 2006, 10:18:02 AM by Tom Huckaby »

Steve Lang

« Reply #99 on: November 10, 2006, 10:18:12 AM »

1. recognized because of this site.  
2. enjoyed celebrity and retained an afterglow
3. a GCA bag...creates the hassle of celebrity.

4. Uncertainty on an internet site of noble objectives

5. A challenge to the originator/absentee moderator of same internet site to change for the good or better path
6. A sense of indecent behaviour by some rotten apples ruining the greater purpose  

Frankly, the chemist in me chuckles when i see an AgMan and the collegiate fan in me chuckles when I see the LSU Tiger realted moniker .. and the environmentalist in me chuckles when I see a good Kingdom related acronymn like Shivas..  I celebrate the platonic individual spirit that lives on, that some catch and ride into the sunset, lest we forget TUCO..

One might as well ask why OT threads can be allowed to continue past 1 page..
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back