News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Kavanaugh

Why don't people post under their real names or be deleted..
« on: November 08, 2006, 10:01:14 PM »
I recently played at a course where the pro recognized me by name because of this site.  Luckily for me it was a course that I love...and love even more after that fine day.  Some of my posts also explain why I will not be buying a GCA bag...I don't need the hassle of celebrity.

Someone please explain to me why people, many my friends, are allowed to post without at least using their last names and first initial.

I challenge Ran to offer a two week grace period for those who have yet to pony up and post under their real names and then either change it for them or delete.  The con jobs have gone on long enough.  

Mike_Young

Re:Why don't people post under their real names or be deleted..
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2006, 10:02:48 PM »
agree
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2006, 10:08:05 PM »
John,

In the 2,452 posts that you have made (that I have read) this is the first thing that has made sense.  ;D

Look..RAN ARE YOU LISTENING!!!???...this really needs to be done. It is a cowardly position that people here are not "real". I detest this aspect of GCA. It really annoys me and this is the first time I have heard a pinpointed discussion on the merits.

I hope many others contribute so we can achieve a consensus.
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Mike Hendren

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2006, 10:13:15 PM »
I lose sleep over Barney's angst regarding names.  However, for some reason I cannot change the profile back to Mike.  To appease the founder of the HillbillyTour,Tommy/Ben/Moderator please do this for me.

Note:  If not done by November 30th, I will comply by legally changing my name to Bogey.

Mike Hendren
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

paul cowley

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2006, 10:27:05 PM »
OK ....I'll bite,
 my real name is not what I post under....I was born by...no, I mean my birth mother was Laotian and my father was born west of the Caucasians....we immigrated to Ireland early in my youth.
Upon coming to the states when I had just turned five, my parents decided to change my given name of Luap, to the more easily assimilated and recognizably sounding American name of Paul....and I thank them to this day.

Subsequently, when my father was trying to find another of many new jobs, he reversed our family name, which was Yelwoc, to Cowley, as he felt it sounded more acceptably American.
...and the rest, I am happy to report, is History....good stuff!

paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

Daryl "Turboe" Boe

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2006, 10:43:17 PM »
John, after spending several occasions during Dixie Cup explaining Barney the man and the internet alter-ego.  I have to admit you lost me on this one.  

One of the many topics at DC06 was the state of GCA.com, and I explained how I have gone from a guy that has been here from shortly after it started, a guy that used to struggle to go more than about 3 hrs without checking in here.  To now a guy that maybe checks in once a week and post sparingly.  Well in addition to the fact that my life and spare time has changed over the last 4 years, I explained that I miss the days when this was just a gathering of a bunch of people that loved GCA and wanted to have some fun banter with like minded folks.  Now far too many people take themselves a little too seriously around here, and this topic whenever it comes up is just another example of people being a little too uptight about stuff that they shouldnt be.

So if I am banned please someone just send me an email to let me know.  Because if it was between that and legally changing my name to Tur I think I would just have to find another place to hang out.
Instagram: @thequestfor3000

"Time spent playing golf is not deducted from ones lifespan."

"We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2006, 10:44:36 PM »
oh, jeez, here we go again.  Barney's had a few and he's on his thing again.

I've explained this a gazillion times -- I use this name because this is what I used to use on another board and just ported it over in the first place, if for no other reason than so I wouldn't have a bunch of monickers and they'd be consistent.

Is there anyone on this board that doesn't know my name, where I live, what I do for a living, what kind of putter I use, or even what country my wife is originally from at this point?

If so, please IM me and I'll be glad to tell all ... and give you my cell phone number and home address.

I think this is much ado about nothing - at least once a guy has been here for a while and is not just some fly-by-night crackpot.

What kind of wand do you use, Shivas?

Jordan Wall

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2006, 10:52:47 PM »
Ok, JaKaB ;)

Nah, I totally agree with you.
People should use their real names.
It's nice because that way you at least sort of know who you are discussing golf (golf architecture) with..

John_Conley

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2006, 10:54:20 PM »
This makes sense to me with one exception.  Look who started the thread.

JakaB
Barney
and Lord knows whatever else names you've used

I think to answer your question, "why don't people post under their real names?" you can begin by asking someone who doesn't.

Yourself.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2006, 10:56:57 PM »
I miss Slag Bandoon.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Jim Thompson

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2006, 11:02:14 PM »
Use any name you want!

Just use the signature line to SIGN your work ;).

Cheers!

JT
Jim Thompson

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2006, 11:02:52 PM »
This makes sense to me with one exception.  Look who started the thread.

JakaB
Barney
and Lord knows whatever else names you've used

I think to answer your question, "why don't people post under their real names?" you can begin by asking someone who doesn't.

Yourself.

I don't understand the above.  Ran asked that we post under our real names and I have done so since.  I would also ask that you stop using a woman avitar.  I find it offensive to women and an unnecessary distraction.  

paul cowley

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2006, 11:13:25 PM »
Yea ...and I'm with John cause i sure never understood the carry out the wet sand stuff [ nor did my girl] and I'm sure not understanding the newer!
« Last Edit: November 08, 2006, 11:14:48 PM by paul cowley »
paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2006, 11:16:54 PM »
It comes down to this.  Many of us have profited greatly by being on this site and it is very popular in the golfing world.  When you face a pro across a counter he deserves to know who you are and what you have said in the past...or be able to check and see what you will say in the future. Now many of you are going to waltz in with your GCA bags and pick and choose if you disclose your real name...If you have said good things you are Shivas...if not you are Dave...It is not an honest stance.

note:  I know Shivas would not stoop to such a level...at least unless he was playing a course he was forced to meet a quota.

Tim Bert

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2006, 11:26:06 PM »
I should fess up here.  My real name is Timothy.  I really do go by Tim in most circles.  I promise not to hide behind the name Timothy at a pro shop... and I didn't buy a bag, but only because I love my Ping bag and I can't bring myself to switch brands.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2006, 11:40:13 PM »
Me thinkith thath Juan doth proteth thtoo muth. :)

Really John, who and how do many profit on this site.  Do you mean by access for free.  Last I checked, no one gets freebies as a GCA poster.  Oh, you mean raters... they profit by getting some free golf.  Well, all posters (most) are not raters.  

I've faced any number of pros across the counter.  Oh, it isn't all that intimidating.  I just give them my Visa and smile.  Do you think they'd be quaking in there ECCOs if they saw I have a GCA logo bag and my Visa says Da Mare?  What do they fear more; the GCA logo and a nameless face or the Golf Digest Panelist tag?

Most pros I know don't have time to take a crap.  Most of them don't sit there in their PJs or smoking jacket and scrutinize every poster and if they are negative or positive.

Oh, the Pat Ruddy posts do indicate that himself was lurking for a long time, I'll give you that.  But, he got Tiger's name and called him out on it.  It was an interesting if not informative exchange in the end.  So why do you have to set yourself up to somehow look out for the poor pro, committee man at a club, DOG, etc, incase a nome d'plume somehow goes off on their course.  Can these folks not fend for themselves? (quite ably as Pat Ruddy proves)

I seemed to prove today that if something goes to heck, a lot of info can be obtained in a short time about certain posters.  Why the crusade about some colorful monikers, when none of the long time ones have been outrageously out of line?
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2006, 11:41:55 PM »
All this wasn't so funny when Dick almost had to take his buds to King's North...Thank God we knew a member of Yeamans that could save the day and prevent that tragedy.

Could we at least agree that anyone who carries a GCA bag post under their real last name.  I can't wait for bag gate...

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2006, 11:45:54 PM »
Dick,

Have you profited from this site or not...or is the only profit in your life tied to how many dollars are involved.  I have played more golf on more great courses because of this site than I ever could have imagined...and I might have even paid 10% of the time.  What does this have to do with being a rater.

How many people told you I was the scam artist that tricked you.  Just last week I was threatened by another poster on this site because he thought I was slaming him on another web site. It was nice to be able to tell him and you and Shivas that I have only been rude or ignorant under my own name.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2006, 11:49:33 PM by John Kavanaugh »

RJ_Daley

« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2006, 11:49:04 PM »
But that is just it John.  The guy that punked me allegedly posted under his real name, or someone stole his identity.  that didn't prevent anything.  I wasn't bailed out because Ed posts under his real name.  I was able to harken back to meeting Ed in person at Cusco.  

I am not aware of anyone who has attended any semi or official GCA event that hasn't used his own name.  Well, maybe Dan King did come in CB Mac drag once or twice, but still...  ;) ;D 8)

RJ_Daley

« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2006, 11:54:58 PM »
Profit in the sense of access or invites John, yes nice folks have invited me from time to time to some nice places.  But, profit is in my way of thinking is more about $ and that more likely applies to free golf.  I don't ask or want free.  I am more than happy to pay guest fees.  So benefit from the site via invites, yes.  Profit, not really.  Could you agree that raters get a lot more free golf than invitees who if they are real people offer to pay their way?

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2006, 11:57:34 PM »

I wasn't bailed out because Ed posts under his real name.  I was able to harken back to meeting Ed in person at Cusco.  

Hmmmm...I got that the story was that Ed had invited you specifically when he knew you were coming to the Dixie Cup in Myrtle.  The plot thickens.

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2006, 12:00:19 AM »
John,
Aren't you being the holy one today!

You've quit this site, came back, quit again. Been asked to halt posting for a couple of weeks several times--so you could cool down--and then all of a sudden, today your lacy white, as pure as the driven snow!

What balls!

Then you want to act like your offended (on another post) and then won't even return my phone call when I call you to confront you about it.

John, cut out the act. If you don't like it, then simply don't click on it!

Also, go see the Borat movie, which maybe one of the funniest movies ever made. Hopefully it will grant you further insight, more humor to this wonderful life you have gifted.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2006, 12:03:56 AM »
Profit in the sense of access or invites John, yes nice folks have invited me from time to time to some nice places.  But, profit is in my way of thinking is more about $ and that more likely applies to free golf.  I don't ask or want free.  I am more than happy to pay guest fees.  So benefit from the site via invites, yes.  Profit, not really.  Could you agree that raters get a lot more free golf than invitees who if they are real people offer to pay their way?

I don't think raters get any free golf in my sense of free...After mulling over this for many years now I think they pay a price every time they show that card and submit that number.  I do believe that some people  became raters because of this site and if being a rater makes them happy than in that they have profited.  The only free golf is that golf where you are free to keep your opinions to yourself.

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2006, 12:06:37 AM »
John, I'm going to bump this up again to make sure you read my post.

John_Conley

« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2006, 12:17:06 AM »
I don't understand the above.  Ran asked that we post under our real names and I have done so since.  I would also ask that you stop using a woman avitar.  I find it offensive to women and an unnecessary distraction.  

So if Ran told you to jump off a bridge....?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back