News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

A.G._Crockett

Welcome to Chris Cupit
« on: November 07, 2006, 06:05:07 PM »
He doesn't know me, but I'll take it upon myself to welcome Chris Cupit to GCA, as of yesterday afternoon.  

Some of you might know that Chris' family owns and operated Rivermont CC in Roswell, GA, a golf course currently undergoing a relatively sweeping redesign by Mike Riley along lines that many here will find very exciting.  From everything that I have read and talked about with members, the course (which I believe was originally a Joe Lee design) will reopen as a something of a Golden Age course.  I won't even attempt to characterize it further now that Chris is going to be a contributor here, and I hope he'll post soon on the work in progress. :)

BTW, Chris Cupit is a relative of Jackie Cupit (nephew, I believe?), so golf is not only the family business, but it runs deep in the blood.  He'll be a great asset here as a course owner/operator with a passion for GCA, and a "highly skilled" and still competitive golfer as well.

Chris, I have sent you an IM; look at the top of the screen under the logo/masthead.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2006, 06:17:32 PM by A.G._Crockett »
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Chris Cupit

Re:Welcome to Chris Cupit
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2006, 06:29:57 PM »
Thanks for the kind words!  I am excited about being part of the "tree house"  Hopefully no one will want to throw me out any time soon.

I did try and respond to the IM but just in case it didn't go through I wanted to says thanks for the welcome.

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2006, 06:46:43 PM »
Chris --

Don't worry about someone trying to throw you out. It happens all the time, and it's not a very long drop. :)
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Paul Jones

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2006, 08:27:42 PM »
Chris,

Can you talk about what changes Mike is making at Rivermont?

I really liked the work he did at The Standard Club.
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

Lawrence Largent

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2006, 09:31:44 PM »
Chris,

I believe I met you at Camargo a few years back. I hope all is well with you and your family. Have you talked to Boyd on Death row lately?

Lawrence

Chris Cupit

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2006, 09:45:11 PM »
Paul,

I'll try although it is important to know that we were not attempting to "restore" anything.  We had a 32 year old course (and irrigation system), old penncross (and poa) greens and we decided to "blow things up" and start over.

The original course was a good Joe Lee layout.  6600 from the tips but challenging enough to host about 16 USGA Senior Open qualifiers and the 2005 US Open local qualifier (71-1 under advanced to sectionals) as well as a few Atlanta Amateurs.

Anyway, we spent $3.4M and rebuilt every green to USGA specs and installed a sub-air system and fans on every green, we re-did every bunker and removed many.  The re-builds were done as "Billy Bunkers"  drain tile, 1 inch gravel layer and liner.  Completely new irrigation system and 85% of the cart paths were re-done.  We also built a nursery green (something we never had!) and a new practice putting green.

After deciding to hire Mike from a very good group of candidates, we talked and wrote down some "principles/thoughts" about what we wanted.  I know that everyone thinks their course has the potential for greatness and often overestimate their home courses and I tried not to do this.  I do think we had a nice piece of land, a good layout and the potential was to have a very affordable and "surprisingly" good course in Atlanta.  I have also felt that while there is alot of decent golf in Atlanta, very little really gets my blood moving, and even if it meant screwing up a pretty good thing, I wanted to try and do something different.

Some of Mike and my thoughts were:
1.   Absolutely no white sand--nothing looks uglier or more out of place to me.  Brown is beautiful and I like the texture better anyway versus the powdery fluff.
2.  Try and create the most interesting greens in Atlanta.  I don't give a damn about the "Stimpmeter".  I would rather play very undulating greens that were "slow" instead of tiered flat greens that have to be mowed at ridicuousley low heights to get their speed.
3.  I don't care what par you end up with--anything from 69-73 was fine if it meant better golf holes.  We ended up at 72.
4.  Trees suck.  
5.  Bunkers should be hazards--mean, nasty and brutish (apologies to Thomas Hobbes).  Mr. Richardson and Fine's book, Bunkers Pits and Other Hazards was great inspiration.  I actually considered raking bunkers just once per week, but figured that would be too much.  My seniors and ladies would kill me.
6. I love native vegetation and grasses.  I hired Mark Hoban, former superintendent for 33 years at The Standard Club to be my super.  We now have yuccas, sedges, lovegrasses, fescues, scotch brooms all over as well as in many of the bunkers.
7.Absolutely no ornamental trees or annual plantings.  Again, I love the texture of different grasses and for color, well, brown and shades of greens are colorful.
8.  Our tees ended up diamond zoysia, around tee boxes (square) and bunkers is zoysia (toro or emerald? much thicker leafblade).  Greens are 50/50 mix of A-1 and A-4, fairways are 419 bermuda.
9.  We both loved MacDonald and Raynor courses--my top two are, of course, NGLA and Camargo.
10.  Try and be different.  We have greens ranging in size from 4,000 to 10,000 square feet.  We have a redan hole, a punchbowl green, a green with a "half-pipe" in the back right (inspired by #9 Winged Foot East, a green with a false front that covers one third of the green (think #14 ANGC).  
11.  Some bunkers you may have to play backwards from.  We removed most fairway bunkers and/or moved them out of the 240 yard range and into the 270-290 range.
12.  VERY wide fairways--40-70 yards but that demand an approach from the "correct" side or you have a very tough shot.
13.  We took our shortest par 4 of 322 yards and shortened it to 295 to make it driveable.  
14.  While we lenghthend the back tee from 6597 to 7005, we built more forward tees than any other tees and tried to allow a run up shot on every hole.  We have some crossing bunkers but you do not have to go over them--you have room to go around.  The course is 5103 from the most forward and our senior course was shortened as well.
15.  We have bunkers ranging is square footage from 6 square feet!! to over 5,000 square feet.  Not alot of "flashed bunkers" but lots of jagged edges and grasses tumbleing into them.  Some bunkers are 12 feet deep and one or two you could putt out of.
16.  Most difficult problem was convincing the shapers (Medalist Golf--BTW, Joey and Detrick are the best!) to not make the lines so perfect!  At first, Mike had to really explain how the imperfections, mistakes and gouges should stay!  It was hard not loosing many of the bumps and "mistakes" in the sand layer but they did a great job.  Also, had to make the mounding look as "old" as possible--no "ice cream scoops" for mounds.

BTW our course is private but affordable--ID is $7500 and mnthly dues are $259 for full family.  Before the project we were about 90% full, now we have a 4 1/2 month waiting list to join!  I can't thank Mike Riley or credit him enough.

Sorry the post is so long.  I'll jump off now.  Please let me know if you want to take a tour sometime and I will also try and get some pics up to look at.  The course will re-open for play December 1.    

Chris Cupit

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2006, 09:49:22 PM »
Lawrence,

Good to hear from you.  I was at Camargo a few years back--pretty cool place to shoot 80 on!!

I was up at the honors the other day and Boyd is still on "death row"  I hope he can get a commuted sentence but the boy just ain't right!

I will tell him hello for you--when did you last see him?  He hasn't been playing much--some health issues--but I am hoping he gets back into the swing of things this spring.

Mike_Young

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2006, 10:46:42 PM »
Chris,
Best of luck with your opening.....
I am assuming the "boyd" you guys are speaking of is charlies uncle???
Course sounds good.
Mike
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Chris Cupit

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2006, 11:03:23 PM »
Thanks--heard great things about your course in Madison--best of luck with it as well.  How about we trade off giving each other a tour?

Yeah--the one and only Boyd Dethero!!

Jim Nugent

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2006, 03:27:20 AM »
Welcome, Chris, your course and club sound cool.  Can you or anyone else post pictures?

Darren_Kilfara

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2006, 08:03:21 AM »
Chris - welcome! I saw your name for the first time in another thread this morning and immediately wondered if you were related to Jackie.

I grew up in Atlanta and played a lot of golf at Rivermont - I was on the golf team at Marist, and we played there quite a bit. I always tended to view the course as something to be endured rather than enjoyed, probably largely because of that darn walk from the ninth green back to the clubhouse and the 10th tee. (What is it, about half a mile between the two?) The property is a bit hilly for my tastes, but then, the older layout perhaps didn't do it much justice, and I can certainly see how tree removal and adherence to Golden Age design principles could make a big difference. Your list of "16 thoughts" is most impressive indeed! I'm coming back to Atlanta from Scotland for Christmas (between Dec. 16-30), and I'd love to see the course if you're around - send me an IM, will you?

Jim (and others), you can see pictures of the construction work in progress via www.rivermontcountryclub.com - click on the "Renovation Update" link on the left side of the main page and scroll down a bit.

Cheers,
Darren

PThomas

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2006, 08:05:31 AM »
welcome Chris!
197 played, only 3 to go!!

Paul Jones

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2006, 09:23:22 AM »
Chris,

Thanks for all the details.  

When do you expect everything to be completed?

Paul
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

Chris Cupit

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2006, 11:23:45 AM »
We hope to re-open for play Dec. 1

Darren,

I also played at Marist--'86  Was Bud Murray your coach?
Yeah the walk from 9-the clubhouse/10 sucks--actually right at 450 yards (but at least it's downhill!)

I'm new to the site and while I have figured out how to respond to IMs I haven't yet sent one!?  Marist and 5 years of college didn't seem to help my technical illiteracy!

Anyway, I will be here in December and would be happy to show you around--tomorrow we open holes 1,2,3,4,5,8,9,10,11,12,17 and 18 and I hope by Dec 1, the rest are ready.

If I still haven't mastered the IM, try and e-mail me from the contact page on the website.

Darren_Kilfara

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2006, 12:15:26 PM »
Chris - I sent you an IM. I hope it works on your end... ;)

JohnV

« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2006, 12:17:13 PM »
Hey Chris, welcome to the funny farm.

Chris is also a member of the USGA Mid-Amateur Committee with me.  You can now take on some of the load of defending the USGA. ;)

Chris Cupit

« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2006, 05:44:43 PM »
Thanks John!

Kinda throwin' me in the fire aren't you!  As soon as I figure out how to post a picture, I'll be ready to mount a spirited defense--should be ready for that in a few years!

Garland Bayley

« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2006, 07:17:15 PM »
Hey Chris,

When are you guys at the USGA going to do something about the ball?

How's that for a welcome?
 ;D
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Chris Cupit

« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2006, 11:32:54 AM »
Personally, I'm a hickory and Haskell kinda guy; but, I've always kinda swam upstream!?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back