News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tony Petersen

Arizona roll call
« on: November 02, 2006, 03:22:16 PM »
Just putting out some feelers to find out how many GCA'ers we have in the valley of the sun... I spend the winters in Scottsdale, play out of The Desert Mountain Club, and am always looking for new guys to play with around the area ;)
Ski - U - Mah... University of Minnesota... "Seven beers followed by two Scotches and a thimble of marijuana and it's funny how sleep comes all on it's own.”

Bill_McBride

Re:Arizona roll call
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2006, 03:29:23 PM »
Paging Tom Renli, white courtesy phone!  Not to mention Forrest Richardson and his gang.

Aaron Katz

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2006, 04:00:27 PM »
Native Tucsonan -- I usually spend two weeks a year visiting back home.  

grandwazo

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2006, 04:49:09 PM »
Comtngolf....been looking for a vacation home in that neck of the woods for a couple of years now...based on your experience, if you had to do it all over again, would you pick DM or look elsewhere in the Scottsdale area?

Within DM, where do the locals feel the best location/value is?

Thanks!

Jeff

Tony Petersen

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2006, 05:32:36 PM »
Jeff -

Check your mailbox... Not sure what your looking for (location, golf, age, etc.) but let me know if you need anything else... Pretty much played them all, so I can help you with that ;)
Ski - U - Mah... University of Minnesota... "Seven beers followed by two Scotches and a thimble of marijuana and it's funny how sleep comes all on it's own.”

Aaron Katz

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2006, 07:31:14 PM »
I've gotta say, if you are looking to really get away from civilization, I'd look at Payson.  Chaparral Pines is a pretty damn good course up there, and it's only about an hour or so from North Scottsdale.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2006, 09:39:41 PM »
Aaron:

You are spot on / re: Chapparal Pines. Unfortunately, too many people have placed The Rim (it's next door neighbor) as one of AZ's best courses and much of that stems from a stellar site -- for scenery both on and off the course.

Chapparal Pines is indeed a must play and from my vantage point no less tha equal of what you see with Forrest Highlands / Canyon for courses located in similar type areas.

Gary Panks & David Graham certainly did a fine job. One other thing on Payson -- they roll up the sidewalks the minute the sun goes down. Sleepy is certainly the word when going to Payson.

Tom Renli

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2006, 10:47:32 PM »
Comtngolf,
I will continue to live in N Scottsdale until I work my way on to Messer McBribe's bag for his run on the Champions Tour.  I played at DM Chira last Friday, I had forgotten what a nice day that is.  

I play at the TPC or atleast for the next two months.  The latest on the Desert course is that it closes down January 1.  I have not seen the routing but my understanding is that the majority of the work is to be done on holes 1 through 5 and 15 through 18 or those on the south side of the property.  The primary goal is length and to bring the lake to the left of 1, 2 and 18 and the retention mound on the southern border of the property more into play.  I am cautiously optimistic and will be happy with a course we can still walk and for them not to try to recover the $10M immediately in green fees.

I would be very interested in getting the AZ group together.  Or if there is an interest in non AZ vistors the stretch between Tgiving and Xmas might be a great time to host an outing.  Very quiet visitorwise that time of the year.  The C&C WeKoPa course opens in Dec.  A pre renovation TPC Desert round, Apache Stronghold, and/or Talking Stick would more than cover a long weekend.   If there is enough interest, I will do the leg work.

I played Chapparal Pines this summer and was very underwhelmed.  Does not belong in the Forrest Highlands or even a Talking Rock category for me.   Cheers, Tom

Bill_McBride

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2006, 10:52:26 PM »
I am strongly considering a run down to Puerto Penasco in January or February to tackle the Links at LaPaloma (F.Richardson).  The square concrete green in itself would be reason enough for this trip, but the undoubtedly freestyle night life of Puerto Penasco could be an added inducement.

Anyone interested, send me an email or IM.

Regards,

Bill "Peter Pan" McBride

P.S.  Senor Renli, I am already up to Super Senior category and still no prize money.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2006, 10:52:55 PM by Bill_McBride »

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2006, 11:10:33 PM »
There is a definite possibility that I may be spending at least a month in Tucson this winter- probably February.
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Jesse Jones

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2006, 11:41:39 PM »
Hey,

I'm out there for a month each year..
Two weeks in Jan..
One during summer.
And another whenever my wife gets the immediate need to visit her mother.

Tony Petersen

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2006, 11:13:44 AM »
Nice to hear from the AZ contingent... Glad to know that I'm not the only soul in AZ who knows the difference between a Redan and a Cape hole ;) The bottom line is I love to play, and after the middle of Nov. I'm pretty much free and clear for hitting the links in the area (especially afternoons) so if, and when, you guys make it down for the winter, etc. give me a shout and we'll get a game going... Of course, we can always head down to Babes and say Hi to Jenna afterwards ;)

Tony Petersen

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2006, 02:05:48 PM »
 ;) Bump... Figured there might be some locals surfing between games  ;)

Ryan Farrow

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2006, 02:45:01 PM »
I am in south Tempe untill December 11th and get back sometime in mid January. I haven't touched a golf club in months  :-\
« Last Edit: November 05, 2006, 02:45:11 PM by Ryan Farrow »

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2006, 06:22:10 PM »
If you gentlemen (and any ladies, of course) are interested in an outing at The Links at las Palomas, please let me know. I will be happy (I think) to make the course as available as possible, and to host those reasonable enough, for an evening of discussion at our home there. I have quite a travel schedule, but can always slip in a few days if enough advance notice.
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back