News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

Revised Royal County Down profile is posted...
« on: October 24, 2006, 01:10:08 PM »
...under Architecture Timeline and Courses by Country.

County Down doesn't have the same relentless sense of perfection that Pine Valley or Sand Hills or Merion enjoys. Perfect visuals don't exist whereby the golfer is trying to carve a tee ball just past a certain bunker, etc.  HOWEVER, its very own idiosyncrasies separate it from all others, and when combined with its unmatched challenge and staggering beauty, the player is reminded of no other course in the world.

The architecture student delights in studying its 'high demand architecture' (a phrase coined by the legendary Tom Paul  8) in regards to both Oakmont and here) and in understanding its design evolution. To that end, the book available at the Club Office entitled Royal County Down Golf Club: The First Century by Harry McCaw and Brum Henderson is a must read.

To me, there is something almost unnatural about courses where everything fits perfectly. Nature is random and courses should reflect this randomness. My two favorite architects are getting dangerously close to perfecting their art to the point where this randomness is being reduced to an uncomfortably low level.

Indeed, is architecture at the highest level today becoming too perfect/too well thought out? I don't know and its all very brainy stuff, which gives me a terrible headache.

Great courses must have great holes and RCD has at least 12 of them (the entire front plus 13, 15 and 18.) The other supporting holes like the 11th (which is technically flawed in the eyes of modern golf architecture) help make the course a one of a kind, which is a GREAT attribute.

In short, RCD's lack of perfection may make it the perfect course, at least to me.

Cheers,

Garland Bayley

Re:Revised Royal County Down profile is posted...
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2006, 01:16:39 PM »
Wonderful Ran!

I have a buddy organizing a group trip to the area and I referred him to your previous reviews. He will be glad to see the updated ones.

"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

John Shimp

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2006, 01:24:38 PM »
Ran included all of the first 9 in the category of great holes.  

Is the front 9 at RCD the best 9 holes in the world?

Dan Kelly

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2006, 02:24:37 PM »
To me, there is something almost unnatural about courses where everything fits perfectly. Nature is random and courses should reflect this randomness. My two favorite architects are getting dangerously close to perfecting their art to the point where this randomness is being reduced to an uncomfortably low level.

Indeed, is architecture at the highest level today becoming too perfect/too well thought out? I don't know and its all very brainy stuff, which gives me a terrible headache.

From a GCA perspective, this is the most interesting thing I've read here in a long, long time.

I don't think you go quite far enough, Ran. Perfection isn't "almost unnatural." It IS unnatural -- unless, of course, it's nature's own perfection. (How's that headache coming along?)

I wonder: Is there such a thing as purposeful randomness?

Maybe every architecture firm needs to have a Jackson Pollock on staff.
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2006, 02:27:34 PM »
Thanks for the new profile.  Whenever I think of playing golf my thoughts wander toward RCD.  I can't think of many places I would rather play.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

JSlonis

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2006, 03:04:26 PM »
Thank you very much for the updated profile.  The descriptions and photos are outstanding.  After reading this, RCD is definitely on the top of my list of "MUST PLAY" courses.

I've heard so many great things about the golf course and this profile really brings them to life.

JESII

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2006, 03:09:55 PM »
Just make that Walker Cup Team next year Jamie.....

You might even get to stay in the Slieve Donnard.

JSlonis

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2006, 04:34:53 PM »
Just make that Walker Cup Team next year Jamie.....

You might even get to stay in the Slieve Donnard.

Sully,

With the way my game stunk during my match with Buddy at this year's Crump...I'd have to do a helluva job to even be considered as a caddie at the Walker Cup! ;)  Somehow, I don't think my victory at the "Bud Lewis" is going to garner any attention from the crowd in Far Hills. :)

Mark_F

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2006, 05:14:58 PM »
What a fantastic new profile.  

Misty October or not, the photos are terrific.

The worst thing about RCD, surely, however, is not the blindness from the tee - it is the number of people on them, as the picture of the 13th hole testifies.

Tom Dunne

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2006, 07:19:39 PM »
A brilliantly cogent analysis, Ran. One of your very best. THANK YOU.

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2006, 07:40:42 AM »
An excellent analysis Ran, that's certainly whetted the appetite for a visit to Northern Ireland.

I assume that there are new profiles of Hoylake and Wallasey to follow?
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

Paul_Turner

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2006, 11:38:34 AM »
Ran's highlighting of the green complexes at RCD is interesting.  I've never read/heard anyone claim that the green complexes are of the very best quality.  (Ballybunion, Lahinch and Portrush are usually cited for Ireland).  I couldn't remember much about them and wondered if they were a bit boring; but Ran's photos prove they aren't.

My favourite course.
can't get to heaven with a three chord song

Will E

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2006, 04:12:53 PM »
A fantastic profile again Ran. The pictures are outstanding and bring back wonderful memories.

If there is a better course than RCD I have yet to see it.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2006, 04:14:56 PM »
A fantastic profile again Ran. The pictures are outstanding and bring back wonderful memories.

If there is a better course than RCD I have yet to see it.

I assume you haven't played Sand Hills?

And I ask that an a VERY big fan of RCD.  It's in my world top 10 without a doubt.

TH

ward peyronnin

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2006, 04:29:50 PM »
Ran,

That those pictures turned out so well in the less than ideal conditions of that day is no doubt another tribute to the golf course ( surely not the photographer).

The greens are indeed masterpeices of visual deception on approach shots- landing areas and fall offs etc. as well as possessing internal subtleties.

Mark-We played on a members saturday when there is a large chooseup on at 9:00;my understanding os the course is not a crowded during week.

JES- the slieve D is all booked Walker Cup week- probably by USGA types.

Ward P

"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2006, 05:06:21 PM »
Tom, I really enjoyed Ran's discussion and it is in my top 10 in the world. There are days when it is my number 1.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2006, 05:10:19 PM »
Yeah, that makes sense.  Right after playing RCD I believe it was my #1 also... and it's never far away.  Ran's text and pics are fantastic as always too.

Philip Gawith

« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2006, 05:16:31 PM »
Thanks Ran -  you have sure made me keen to return. The course looks much more majestic in your presentation of it than I recall from my visit a decade ago.

That must be Ward looking bemused in the background of some pictures. Maybe he was dreaming of Angela....

Will E

« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2006, 05:27:44 PM »
Huck,
You're right, I haven't made it to Nebraska yet.

I played RCD the day before Ran took these photos. It was my first time back since 1996 and the course has improved dramatically over the last decade. I liked it a lot 10 years ago, but I can assure you it is WAY better today than it was.
I still think I haven't seen a better course.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2006, 05:34:49 PM »
Hmmmm... plans are afoot for me to play RCD in August 2007.

Perhaps I will have a new personal champ.  Last time I played there was 2000, well before the new 16th.  I liked the old 16th though.  

I do have quite a love for Sand Hills though... it would take a LOT to remove it from its perch.  One thing's for sure - RCD is on the short list of courses that has a chance, if such exists.

TH

JESII

« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2006, 05:41:47 PM »

JES- the slieve D is all booked Walker Cup week I would assume so.[/i]- probably by USGA types. that's why I think he ought to get on the team.[/i]

Ward P

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back