News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Kavanaugh

What a compliment to each guy to make this comparison...I don't know the answer and am just asking for a little help by getting your opinion..I like the paths each took to get where they are today.

Mike_Sweeney

Crenshaw - simply stated he seems to care more about the playing history of the game for the obvious reason that he is a player and has two Green Jackets. It is a game that is played over some very interesting playing fields, but the people and not the playing fields come first in history, even though I am personally more interested in the playing fields.

TEPaul

Doak is probably a better historian on golf architecture but Crenshaw is probably a better historian on the game itself.

However, I sort of got the feeling watching and listening to Crenshaw on a site one time that the guy may be able to imagine or visualize more possibilities than most any man alive. You look at him and listen to him and you sort of get the sense that he has the "feeling" of about ten million shots in his bones.

Can you imagine how valuable that could be in golf architecture?  ;)

TEPaul

It's OT and it's definitely not infallible but every now and again you see someone wrap their hands around a golf club and BOOM--you can just see the golf in their bones.

It's sort of like how you could just see music in Louis Armstrong's upper lip and when he put the trumpet to his lips.

I've seen that in my life in the golf grip of Hogan, Palmer, Armour, Glenna Collett Vare and Ben Crenshaw (and actually Buddy Marucci, of all people).

Ben Crenshaw's right thumb alone when he places it on a golf club just screams GOLF!  ;)

Mike_Cirba

Tom,

You've seen my grip, and what...no mention??   :o ;)

TEPaul

"Tom,
You've seen my grip, and what...no mention??"

Forget your grip, I have a hard time just watching you set up to the ball because I can't stop thinking you're trying to go in the opposite direction.  ;)    

TEPaul

From Michael Moore on Harvey Pennick's impression of Crenshaw's golf grip;

"Look at the club in the hands of Ben Crenshaw. His hands and fingers fit so gracefully, so naturally, that I am moved to regard his grip as a piece of art."

Adam Clayman

Ben's putter alone, looks like it's had a million golf shots played.

I'd say since Ben is a big part of the history, and Doak is only now starting to make some....Tepaul put it best. ;)
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

John Kavanaugh

For those that know both...Is it true that Doak is a better listener.  Do you think Keiser thinks Doak is the better historian given his award of Old Macdonald.

I've got to mention how difficult it must be to listen to people who surround you when you are a celebrity.  I thought it was funny when Doak recently said that the people around him tell him all the time that the greens at Pacific are better because he softened the contours.  Crenshaw has been famous for so much of his life you have to wonder how many true opinions he ever hears.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back