News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

A.G._Crockett

Mike Young's Long Shadow GC Opens
« on: October 19, 2006, 07:58:21 AM »
Congrats to Mike Young on the opening today of his new design in Madison, GA.  Long Shadow Golf Club opens 9 holes today, with the other nine scheduled to open in the spring.

For those of you that don't know the area, Madison is the general area of Lake Oconee/Reynolds Plantation/Cuscowilla, etc.  I know that Mike is excited about the property in what is becoming one of the great golf areas in the country.  Also, for those of you that haven't had the good fortune to play any of Mike's courses, they're worth the effort when you are nearby; I promise you will be really happy with the time and money you spent to play.

I don't think there is a website for Long Shadow yet.  Hopefully, somebody (Mike?  Mike?) will post pictures soon.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Anthony_Nysse

Re:Mike Young's Long Shadow GC Opens
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2006, 08:16:18 AM »
AG,
  I was there on Saturday and the place has grown in very well. I visited several times back in the srping and really liked the concept for the course without an rough. I also think that Mike's greens turned out really well. THe back nine might even be better than the front-#12-17 are solid. I have pics from May, but don't know how to post. I know it's been a bit frusterating at times as ther was some snags for Mike, but I think that it will be worth his wait-This one is worth the drive to, especially if one is near playing Cuscowilla.

Tony Nysse
Sr. Asst. Supt.
Long Cove Club
HHI, SC
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Keith Williams

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2006, 08:22:13 AM »
I'll second the congrats to Mike.  I know this course has taken a while to come along and I am sure it is worth the wait.  

Does anybody know who is responsible for the current name?  I always liked the sound of one of the prior names, Morgan County Downs.

Anyway, way to go Mike!

Keith.

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2006, 08:24:14 AM »
Congrats to Mike and all of the crew at Long Shadow. I'm looking forward to seeing the course next month.

BCrosby

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2006, 08:26:32 AM »
I agree with the above.

Mike's new course is very, very good. Lots of width, lots of contour, minimal bunkering and some features you don't see everyday. A couple of fall away greens, some centerline hazards, a couple of skyline greens and a magnificent, long par 3 punchbowl green that has to be seen to be believed. (Much better than the punchbowl at Black Creek, the only other modern version I've seen.)

I look forward to playing the course in the next couple of weeks. Hopefully I'll have earned a kitchen pass by then.

Congrats to Mike. This is a course worth a trip to see.

Bob
« Last Edit: October 19, 2006, 08:37:33 AM by BCrosby »

Mike_Sweeney

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2006, 08:34:24 AM »

Jason Blasberg

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2006, 08:48:53 AM »
That's it Mike S.

Mike Y:  I'm not sure I've seen the cape green-tee to cape tee-shot combo like you've used on 15-16.  Looks very interesting from the routing photo.  Is the water left of 15th green as in play as it looks from the routing?

I'm now definitely getting down to Eatonton soon, hopefully early December!

Will E

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2006, 08:50:37 AM »
I tromped around on this beautiful property a couple of years ago and left thinking that this could really be something cool upon completion.
I'm glad to hear it's completed and will look forward to reading Mike's comments.

RE Blanks

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2006, 09:02:49 AM »
I played the front nine a few weeks ago (thanks Mike) and really liked every hole.  Interesting greens.  The par 4's were very good.  hole 6 was my favorite.  if I remember it was in the 420-*430 range.  I had about 190 a little downhill into a green that looked as if it moved from right to left and front to back.  I hit my shot thin and ran onto the green from about 30 yards out.  lots of options on every hole.  from what i have seen the back nine may be better.

John_Cullum

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2006, 10:41:56 AM »
Was this project known as Madison Lakes at one time?
Raynor was a hack

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2006, 10:55:28 AM »
John,
  It's Long Shadow Golf Club that is in the Madison Lakes development.
  #17 Green-Awesome modern Punchbowl...

Tony Nysse
Sr. Asst. Supt.
Long Cove Club
HHI, SC
Anthony J. Nysse
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Bill_McBride

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2006, 11:16:23 AM »
John Cullum, when we played the first Dixie Cup at Cuscowilla in October 2004, the project was indeed known as Madison Lakes.  Dick Daley and I got lost (we could get lost in a one-car parade) and missed the tour, but you could see there is some very nice gently rolling terrain there.  Looking forward to a visit soon as possible.

John_Cullum

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2006, 11:25:00 AM »
For those interested, Madison Georgia is one of the most beautful small towns in the South. I hope it doesn't get ruined for the locals.
Raynor was a hack

Geoffrey Childs

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2006, 11:27:58 AM »
Mike

Congratulations.  The course looks to be full of strategic interest.  I look forward to seeing some photos.

A course in Georgia without any rough.  What a wonderful and unique concept  ;)  I hope the membership doesn't want to make it tougher any time soon.

Jason Blasberg

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2006, 03:28:44 PM »
The course looks to be full of strategic interest.  I look forward to seeing some photos.

Dr. if you'd ever get down there to see it you might even have a place to stay somewhere nereby ;)  

Mike_Young

« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2006, 06:36:42 PM »
Any of you guys around stop by.  
Yes , it used to be Madison Lakes ad a few other names.
But final name is Longshadow.....
Routing is different than the one shown in picture in a few places...
Have a good supt and front is ready...back should be around Masters....
Hope you guys like it after playing.
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Tim Copeland

I need a nickname so I can tell all that I know.....

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2006, 12:08:58 AM »
My father and I had the privilege of playing the front nine (invited by Mr. Young), as indicated on the map a few posts up, in late June.  It was a really neat experience, playing part of a golf course while it was getting finished.  I really liked number 3, the first par 5.  Nice bit of visual deception off the tee and from the fairway, and then a semi-skyline green (if memory serves) set way up above the second landing area.  It seemed to be a "full" par 5, not one where one expects to make a whole lot of easy birdies.  Number 9 is neat also, requiring a thrilling little drop shot approach over wetlands and bunkers.

I also liked the big rollicking greens.  If I remember correctly, the green of number 2 has 3 greens-within-a-green, which is the best contour style for big greens, IMHO.

Looks to be another great addition to the golf in that area!
Senior Writer, GolfPass

RJ_Daley

« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2006, 10:31:54 AM »
Mike Y, I'm curious as to whether this project has progressed along the same time line as originally conceived.  When Bill and I were there, I really thought it looked like it was far enough along that it would have opened the following year.  Were there any unplanned delays?  What we saw looked like a fine setting for a course and routing.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Mike_Young

« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2006, 01:48:50 PM »
Mike Y, I'm curious as to whether this project has progressed along the same time line as originally conceived.  When Bill and I were there, I really thought it looked like it was far enough along that it would have opened the following year.  Were there any unplanned delays?  What we saw looked like a fine setting for a course and routing.
RJ,
This course has taken almost 4 years......the owner just did it as he needed and was in no hurry.  It was an interesting time.  
Mike
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Daryl "Turboe" Boe

« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2006, 10:23:23 PM »
Not 100% sure, but I think this might actually be the view of the course.  The previous link took me to Madison, WI

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=l&hl=en&q=madison+lakes&near=Madison++ga&ie=UTF8&z=15&ll=33.524707,-83.455238&spn=0.022253,0.046778&t=k&om=1

You may have to zoom out a little and then zoom back in on the little baloon that I think marks the course from what I could gather.

I am looking forward to seeing it Mike.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2006, 10:26:18 PM by Turboe »
Instagram: @thequestfor3000

"Time spent playing golf is not deducted from ones lifespan."

"We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2006, 01:19:59 AM »
Some images of the site:

I'll post some more later.

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2006, 01:23:21 AM »
Daryl,
Laker tickets on me next time your in town. (More on that one later!) You just saved me a WHOLE lot of time (DUH!)

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2006, 06:00:56 AM »
Just so everyone knows the hole numbers to the pics,
  Pic #1-Hole #5, Par 5
  Pic #2-Hole #12 Par 5 Greensite with #16 fairway in the background.
  Pic #3-Hole #13-Par 3 over the water
  Pic #4-Hole #7-Long Par 4
  Pic #5-Hole #9-Cute Par 4

Tony Nysse
Sr. Asst. Supt.
Long Cove Club
HHI, SC
Anthony J. Nysse
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2006, 11:10:10 AM »
Congratulations, Mike!!! The course looks fabulous. Hopefully, 100 years from now, it won't be 401 on DR's list. ;D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back