News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

W.H. Cosgrove

SW Ireland Gems
« on: October 17, 2006, 12:19:28 PM »
Planning a trip to SW Ireland next year.  Group is convinced Lahinch, Ballybunion, Old Head are the ONLY places to go.  

Any ideas on off the beaten track courses to blow their minds?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2006, 01:28:32 PM by W.H. Cosgrove »

Ally Mcintosh

Re:SW Ireland Gems
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2006, 12:29:02 PM »
i'm not an expert on the south west but killarney is definitely worth a visit if you fancy a break from the links (especially now the killeen course has been upgraded)...

links-wise, waterville is a great course, there are lots of doonbeg fans and tralee is spectacular (although i know some are not fans)... lesser known traditional links courses that are supposedly lovely include dooks and ceann sibeal (dingle)...

does this help at all?... too simplified?

W.H. Cosgrove

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2006, 01:25:02 PM »
Simple is good.

Simple answers for a simple man! 8)

Sean Leary

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2006, 01:29:38 PM »
Cos, please tell me you aren't going to need a break from links courses.

Old Head is definitely worth playing, no matter what some people here may think of it as a golf course.

W.H. Cosgrove

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2006, 01:46:46 PM »
No Break from Links required!!  Just trying to get off the beaten path a little.  

Darren_Kilfara

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2006, 02:22:52 PM »
Old Head is SE Ireland, not SW Ireland, isn't it?

Geoffrey Childs

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2006, 02:26:10 PM »
Cos

I can't help you with the Southwest but I can assure you that if you start at Lahinch, head up to Ballybunion and then make a run up the Northwest coast you will have some spectacular golf and scenery.

Enniscrone
Conamara
Rosses Point
Donegal
Carne
Ballylifin
Rosapana
Portsalon

finish up at Royal Portrush and you have a great trip.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2006, 02:26:33 PM by Geoffrey Childs »

John Goodman

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2006, 02:26:39 PM »
no definitely SW Ireland.  

D_Malley

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2006, 02:43:15 PM »
a see someone recomended the golf course in dingle, i have not played it but stayed in dingle at a bed and breakfast owned by the club secretary.  i can not speak for the golf course, but the dingle penisula was one of our favorite spots in ireland.  great little fishing village, with charm and culture.

Dub_ONeill

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2006, 02:56:33 PM »
If you are going to play Old Head you will be just down the road from The Cork Golf Club also known as Little Island.  It is a MacKenzie course routed along an estuary and through an old limestone quarry.  It does not qualify as a great course, but it is different than links golf while also being different than almost anything you will have played back home.  It is off the beaten track and provides an enjoyable round in an unusual setting with several really interesting holes.  It even features a plaque on the course noting some heroic shot Seve hit on his way to winning some Euro tournament.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2006, 03:05:47 PM »
If you are going to play Old Head you will be just down the road from The Cork Golf Club also known as Little Island.  It is a MacKenzie course routed along an estuary and through an old limestone quarry.  It does not qualify as a great course, but it is different than links golf while also being different than almost anything you will have played back home.  It is off the beaten track and provides an enjoyable round in an unusual setting with several really interesting holes.  It even features a plaque on the course noting some heroic shot Seve hit on his way to winning some Euro tournament.

Here's hoping Padraig Dooley see's this thread, he's a member there and would wellcome you.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2006, 06:12:26 PM by Tony Muldoon »
Let's make GCA grate again!

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2006, 04:56:35 PM »
Tralee is worthy. I am a critic of Waterville but the ride to the course makes it worth it. The ride out to Old head is even better.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2006, 04:57:05 PM by Tiger_Bernhardt »

Steve_Lemmon

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2006, 05:04:15 PM »
Dooks has some great golf.  Dingle (galfchursa cheann sibeal) is a lot of fun. Very unpretentious.  

If you are staying anywhere near Spanish Point, pay a few euros to play the  100+ year old 9 hole course.

Doonbeg is really something, but had the worst greens on the trip.  Killarney Club is a lot of fun.  

Dan Boerger

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2006, 05:21:19 PM »

I second Dooks! A really neat track, great charm and it was one of the highlights of our trip (which included Old Head, Fota Island, Waterville, Lahinch, Ballybunion (old), Tralee, Killarney. -Dan
"Man should practice moderation in all things, including moderation."  Mark Twain

Padraig Dooley

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2006, 05:45:22 PM »
For the South West the must sees are Ballybunion, Waterville, Tralee, Lahinch, Doonbeg, Old Head -the golf course is ok but the views are something else.

For some gems off the beaten track Dooks has just finished a remodeling by Martin Hawtree this summer, haven't played it yet, but heard good reports. Ceann Sibeal is worth a look as well.

There is a new course open at Waterville called Skellig Bay ,also worth a look.

If your base is Killarney, the courses there are worth a look as well, Killeen has just finished a remodelling as well, again haven't played since it reopened, but have heard good reports as well. Mahoney's Point is a nice course, not too taxing but good views of the lake, unusually large greens can put a bit of pressure on the putting (or approach play)

I live up the road from the Old Head and am a member at Cork GC, I think it fits your description ideally, off the beaten track of the southwest and would blow their minds. It's in an old quarry running along the Lee estuary. MacKenzie came along in the 20's and put his fingerprint on the course, a lot of variety and some really memorable holes, especially in the quarry stretch, plays really firm and fast in the summer as well.

Fota Island is just down the road from us, slightly more modern but worth a look as well.

If you tell when you are planning to come, I might be around.
There are painters who transform the sun to a yellow spot, but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun.
  - Pablo Picasso

Andy Doyle

« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2006, 06:50:05 PM »
I played Waterville for the first (and only, so far) time 2 years ago.  At that time 8 & 9 were closed as part of the front 9 remodeling.  Anybody have a report on the changes?

Andy

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2006, 07:21:40 PM »
Ceann Sibeal in Dingle is in a beautiful place but I think you might be disappointed in the golf.  Dooks is worth the trip.  I am not a big fan of Waterville. It is also in a beautiful place but the grass is wrong for a links course.  I have yet to play it when the conditions are fast or firm.
Cashen is definitely worth playing.  Just don't expect to have your career round.  
Old Head is a long way to go for a round of golf, even though it is on one of the most beautiful locations in Ireland.  
Lahinch, Tralee area all worth playing.  
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

W.H. Cosgrove

« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2006, 09:38:13 PM »
I love this place!!!  The ideas are wonderful.  Should get us off the beaten path at least once or twice!

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2006, 12:03:53 AM »
I agree Dooks is worth it if the greens are cut better than a 6. It is like the Momterey/Carmel area, just being there is as good as this earth gets. Cean Sibeal on Dingle is a really cool area but pretty average golf.

Jack_Marr

« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2006, 02:33:31 AM »
Dromoland Castle has been redone (by Ron Kirby) - has anyone played it since? There were always some interesting holes there.

Also, I have nevery played it, but there's a nine hole links in Castlegregory.
John Marr(inan)

Jonathan Cummings

« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2006, 06:33:07 AM »
Bill - call me, I can give you a ton of info...  jaycee

Will E

« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2006, 03:44:38 PM »
I played Waterville for the first (and only, so far) time 2 years ago.  At that time 8 & 9 were closed as part of the front 9 remodeling.  Anybody have a report on the changes?

Andy,
I played Waterville a couple of weeks ago and can report that it is among the finest courses I've seen. Of the courses I've seen in Ireland I'd consider Waterville to be second only to Royal County Down. Another surprize was Doonbeg, much better than I had anticipated; not among the world's best, but none the less highly recommended. Like some others that have posted here our group was very let down (in relation to our expectations) by the Dunluce Links course at Royal Portrush.

Andy Doyle

« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2006, 04:08:40 PM »
Andy,
I played Waterville a couple of weeks ago and can report that it is among the finest courses I've seen. Of the courses I've seen in Ireland I'd consider Waterville to be second only to Royal County Down. Another surprize was Doonbeg, much better than I had anticipated; not among the world's best, but none the less highly recommended. Like some others that have posted here our group was very let down (in relation to our expectations) by the Dunluce Links course at Royal Portrush.

Shooter:

Thanks.  I really enjoyed Waterville as well.  I thought the back 9 had more dramatic ground with bigger dunes, etc.  I think this was the issue they were attempting to address with nos. 8 & 9.  It looked to me like they were trucking in lots more dirt to build up the more flattish ground.  I was just wondering how that work turned out.

I hope to get back soon to find out for myself.

Andy

Will E

« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2006, 04:30:15 PM »
andy-
I can't comment on the changes having only seen the finished product. The ninth green is a bit of a push up, though if you hadn't have mentioned it I would have never known Fazio had touched the hole. I'd be very interested in the comments of someone who had seen the course in the pre Fazio state as well. I'm alarmed that Waterville doesn't enjoy the recognition it deserves. Perhaps it's a bit tough, though how could anyone argue that it isn't fair? Our foursome compared Waterville to Shinnecock, if you don't like Waterville you wouldn't like Shinnecock. Irish golf is a wonderful experience, I can't wait to get back.

Bill Gayne

« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2006, 06:44:44 PM »
The only suggestion that I could add to the comments above would be to pick-up the Golf Week from a couple of weeks ago. Some stuff has been posted on the website and here are the links.

http://www.golfweek.com/destinations/resort_report/287225672165399.php

http://www.golfweek.com/destinations/features/299288208986008.php

http://www.golfweek.com/destinations/resort_report/287172446650155.php

http://www.golfweek.com/destinations/features/287279107924457.php

I played Waterville prior to the changes and came away frustrated. I've heard nothing but positive comments about the course changes.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back