News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JC Urbina

Re: Bandon's 4th course & Sandpines
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2011, 11:40:39 PM »
Ally,

If I had to describe it in one word it would be Scale.

The 14th hole at Gearhart is a wonderful example of a Leven hole.  But the width across the fairway is very narrow.  The features are there but everything is much smaller, the green, the hump in front of the green and the total width of the hole.  Now it is  even more compelling based on the Pine trees that they have added along the right side of the fairway.    Fine by me, but just for reference the width of the 16th at Bandon Dunes, the 9th at Pacific Dunes or the 3rd at Trails as an example are much wider in their playability and appearance.

At Astoria a few of the holes are pretty narrow but the way they used the rippled dunes they had to be that way.  A few holes at Ocean Dunes including the double green, fit into a smaller bowl connected by a small dune ridge. The water features at Astoria and Gearhart are tiny ponds.  The lake at Sand Pines is very BIG as are the features.

Now compare those golden age courses  to the 4 courses at Bandon Dunes. 

What will history say about the size of the golf courses being built today.  In a hundred years will the new golf courses be even grander in scale?

Mike Benham

« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2011, 11:39:56 AM »

"... and I liked the guy ..."

Garland Bayley

« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2011, 12:09:06 PM »
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Alex Miller

« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2011, 12:35:38 PM »

Liberty National anyone?

Those untouched dunes at the top of the picture make the misuse of the land just that much more obvious.

Jordan Wall

« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2011, 01:12:44 PM »

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2011, 01:21:50 PM »
Ally,

If I had to describe it in one word it would be Scale.

The 14th hole at Gearhart is a wonderful example of a Leven hole.  But the width across the fairway is very narrow.  The features are there but everything is much smaller, the green, the hump in front of the green and the total width of the hole.  Now it is  even more compelling based on the Pine trees that they have added along the right side of the fairway.    Fine by me, but just for reference the width of the 16th at Bandon Dunes, the 9th at Pacific Dunes or the 3rd at Trails as an example are much wider in their playability and appearance.

At Astoria a few of the holes are pretty narrow but the way they used the rippled dunes they had to be that way.  A few holes at Ocean Dunes including the double green, fit into a smaller bowl connected by a small dune ridge. The water features at Astoria and Gearhart are tiny ponds.  The lake at Sand Pines is very BIG as are the features.

Now compare those golden age courses  to the 4 courses at Bandon Dunes. 

What will history say about the size of the golf courses being built today.  In a hundred years will the new golf courses be even grander in scale?

Jim,
The 14th at Gearhart was one of the holes remodeled in the last 10 years by Robinson. The hole used to be straight in the trough between the dunes (ala Astoria). Robinson cut into the east dune and benched an angled green. And also shorted the 15th by 25 yards.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back