News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

B. Mogg

Irish golf in November
« on: October 08, 2002, 06:33:20 PM »
Does anyone here have experience with golf in Ireland in early November? Specifically the south-east. I assume temprature is OK but weather will be a crap shoot - the upside is that the courses are less busy?

Trying to plan a quick week there to refresh myself on Irish links characteristics.

Also, I have seen many of the great links of Ireland (BB, Lahinch etc.). If you were wanting to see the wildest and most outrageous links there (not necessarily championship layouts) what recommendations would you have.

Cheers,
Brett
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

Tim Weiman

Re: Irish golf in November
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2002, 06:55:43 PM »
Brett,

On another post I recently wrote that January might be the best time to visit Ireland, but I doubt many people will take my advice.

Typically, American visitors want to run aound in the summer months, though September has also become pretty popular in the last 5-10 years.

But, I'm a big supporter of the winter months because of how much less busy it is. As a consequence, one is far more likely to meet and make friends with locals. To my mind, there is no more important consideration.

But, the weather can actually be quite nice and it is rather pleasant having everything - included the courses less crowded.

Last year I went over in January for a friend's birthday and had a couple nice sunny 55 degree days that were wonderful for golf. This year I'll probably go for a December Christmas party.

So, by all means, go in November.

David_Tepper

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2002, 08:51:51 PM »
The southeast of Ireland generally does have the mildest weather of the whole island at almost any time of the year. However, from a golf course perspective, that part of Ireland probably has the weakest collection of courses. In the southwest, you have Lahinch, Ballybunnion, Waterville, Tralee, Doonbeg, Killarney, etc. In the northwest, there is Rosses Point, Connemara, Belmullet (Carne), Donegal, Cruit Island, Ballyliffin, etc. In the northeast, the leading courses include Portstewart, Portrush, Castlerock, County Down and Ardglass. The Dublin area has Portmarnock, Little Island and County Louth. While I am sure you can find very enjoyable golf in counties Wicklow, Wexford and Waterford, you will not find the best of Irish links golf there (aside from the European Club in Brittas Bay) . On the other hand, it is hard not to have a great time in any part of Ireland, so go and enjoy yourself!    

Paul P

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2002, 02:30:44 AM »
Brett

Our winter months have been much milder over the last 10 years or so. In November you can get cold but fresh days, but you also risk wet and windy ones or foggy mornings. The south east is called the Sunny South East, as it's the warmest place in Ireland.

There are great deals to be had in November. In the east/southeast you can play places like Druids Glenn, Rathsallagh, Arklow, Mount Wolselely... for about half price with breakfast thrown in. Only Arklow is a links, however. It's not a wild links but it's a doozie. Very old fashioned, with some holes that the more uptight would not like, but the rest they would love, I think.

On Mondays and Tuesdays you can get out on the European Club for about one third of the normal price during the winter. A long and hard links - it's a real challenge. I love the place.

Down in the very south east, there's Rosslaire, but nobody has ever raves about the place.

In Dublin, you have Portmarnock Old, Portmarnock Hotel and Golf Links, Royal Dublin, The Island, St Anne's, and Corballis. All these are links. Corballis is little public links with some top notch holes, but also some dull ones. Only 13 euro to play. Portmarnock Old is a must. The Island is v. good, but the membership are not that friendly - you rarely make friends in the bar there.

For the best value, I would recommed the Northwest. Very cheap to play and very friendly golfers. Probably the harshest weather as it is not warmed by the Gulf Stream. Have a look at www.westcoastlinks.com - these are wild links courses and cost next to nothing. The ones David listed are all on this site. Strandhill in Sligo is not on the site, but is very enjoyable.

Enjoy your golf and I hope you get the weather.

Paul

Tom Doak

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2002, 09:08:16 AM »
Brett,

Good to hear you're traveling again.

I'd take the northwest of Ireland over the southeast any time; there is always something new happening in the northwest.  (I hear the latest and greatest is the new work at Rosapenna.)

The weather in November is tolerable with rain gear.  The only problem is that the days are short ... you have to do your driving at night, which isn't much fun on those roads.  This may be a good reason to stick to a region with several courses close by, such as the Dublin courses mentioned above.

When exactly are you going?  I may get over there myself in Nov.

Johnny browne

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2002, 12:45:30 PM »
Brett,
I live in Ireland and agree with Tom. November weather mostly ok for golf - can be cold and wet but not very cold and virtually never snow - all links courses playable and not really busy - condition of greens may not be great as often work done on them.  Let me know if I can give you any advice or help.
Johnny Browne

B. Mogg

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2002, 07:43:52 PM »
Thanks for the good and detailed answers.

I have played many of the courses mentioned and the north west sounds intriguing. Outside of Portrush I havent played much up there, Castlerock etc. sound like fun, maybe even Rossapenna. Also I understand Eddie Hackett built some crazy links somewhere in the northwest not long before he passed away - that might be interesting. Anyone know the name??

The whole course does not need to be good, but a few crazy holes would be critical! I played at Enniscrone and its got a boring start but a bunch of crazy holes in the middle that are well worth playing. Dooks was worth playing just for the one par 3 that has the most unbelievable contour anywhere (including prestwick)

We only have a max of a week so I want to concentrate on one region. Dublin doesnt have enough "mad" links to qualify (its got good ones, Portmarnock, Baltray etc which I have played) but there just not wild enough for what I want to see this time. Then again maybe we'll just have a few guinness before setting out and everything will seem a bit crazy!

Tom, it looks like we will be there first week of November, co-ordinating schedules of 3 GCA can be pretty difficult but that's what we are blocking out for now. Being Australian I don't mind the night driving on the left side of the road and once you've hit a few kangaroos, running into a few sheep in the middle of the night is no problem!!!!

David_Tepper

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2002, 08:50:34 PM »
Brett-
The Eddie Hackett course you might be thinking of is called Belmullet, aka Carne, in Count Mayo. I have not been there, but I understand it is a wild one. If you do go to the northwest, I highly recommend a course called Narin & Portnoo, in the village of Narin, Country Donegal. The first 3 or 4 holes are across a cow pasture or two, but then things start to get VERY interesting. The other place maybe worth a look is Ballyliffin (now 36 holes), about as far north as you can go in Ireland. There is another 36-hole complex near there as well. It is called St. something. Johnny Browne is the man to contact for more details and suggestions.

Paul P

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2002, 01:36:48 AM »
bmogg

The course you're referring to is probably Carne (I'm a member there), as mentioned by David. It's in the very far west of the country and, needless to say, I think it's great. Has one of the best finishes I have ever played.

The other 36-hole complex is St Patricks, which is a pay-and-play course. It is not in good nick but is supposed to be a great layout. Hackett designed one of the 18s.

Enniscrone used to have a boring start, but no longer. It's now almost all routed through the dunes and I would recommend it to anyone. The new holes are excellent, some of the best on the course.

Don't forget Murvagh, which is an excellent course in Donegal. This course killed me last time I played it. It used to be the longest course in Europe.

Rossapenna is now 36 holes. I think Eddie Hackett developed nine holes and Pat Ruddy some more. It used to be nine links holes and nine inland holes designed by Vardon, I think.  Now there are 27 pure links holes.

If you go to play Connemara, don't play the original first nine. Play the old back nine and the new nine. Excellent links in a beautiful part of the world.

Here are some more websites you might find useful

www.carnegolflinks.com
www.enniscronegolf.com
www.countysligogolfclub.ie
www.donegalgolfclub.ie
www.rosapenna.ie/index1.html
www.ballyliffingolfclub.com/aboutus.htm

Portsalon has built/is building new holes too. This will take away the quirkeness but they are supposed to be good holes. I don't know if they are open yet.

Roger

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2002, 03:01:31 AM »
Donegal town, Sligo, or Balina would be places to stay if you decide to visit the Northwest. In Balina, you'd be beside Enniscrone, and halfway between Carne and Rosses Point. I would move base to make things easy. Towns like Bundoran are resort towns and will be dead this time of the year.

The disadvantage of going this time of year is the weather is "less" predictable and the towns won't be as lively. Also, golf in this area is never overcrowded. However, Novermber is still an ok time to go.

B. Mogg

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2002, 08:53:58 PM »
I think the north west it is. Ballybunion have told me they are closed to "green fees" play in November - I guess "resting" the course or members after a busy season. Frankly after checking out those websites I am thinking the north west looks more exciting anyway. These sure to be some crazy stuff there to provide inspiration.

Thanks for the responses.

Brett

Buck Wolter

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2002, 09:37:43 PM »
There was a special on the Golf Channel earlier this evening called "Ireland's Hidden Gems". Included profiles of Carne, Enniscrone and Ballyliffin to name a few. I checked the web site and it's on again Wed Oct. 23 at 3 pm (eastern I think). Renton Laidlaw hosted and while it's obviously paid for by the Tourism council it would be an hour well spent. I watched it with my wife and it may have convinced her to take a trip there, "would 2 weeks be enough time?" was her quote.

Be great to hear back about your trip and the advantages/disadvantages off an off-season trip.
Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

tmb

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2002, 10:45:00 AM »
I have just returned from playing Carne, Enniscrone and Connemara. Carne's back nine are all in the dunes. Nine holes of shot making in some of the wildest terrain. 15-18 are as challenging finishing holes that I've played. Enniscrone is just as special. It's not as remote as Carne. Connemara's back nine is wonderful. The front is a little ho-hum. Their clubhouse is great to spend some time in after the round. We staye d in Westport. We had a bit more driving, but their nightlike is well worth the extra driving back and forth.

B. Mogg

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2002, 06:30:50 PM »
I played Enniscrone before they got rid of the dull starting holes - what are the new holes like and are they different enough to warrent visiting the course again?

I am thinking of Carne, Rosapenna, Enniscrone, Ballyliffin and maybe a couple up near Portrush (Castlerock?). I have played Donegal a few times and will give that a miss (not crazy enough). Don't want to book too much and just see how it goes.

The hospitality in the northwest will be without peer I assume!

Brett

David_Tepper

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2002, 08:05:26 PM »
If you get up to Portstewart/Portrush, I would recommend: Royal Portrush(Dunluce Course), Portstewart & Castlerock, in that order. The 2nd course at Portrush is not too bad either!
Again, I highly recommend Narin&Portnoo as a very solid course in a beautiful spot a bit off the beaten track. I have not played the 9-hole course at Cruit Island, but I have heard good things about it.  

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back