News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brad Klein

Re:Name 10 Ross courses that are pure Ross restorations...
« Reply #100 on: October 08, 2006, 06:42:33 AM »
That is true, I did resign the Board last Friday, Sept. 29, out of concern over policy and direction. I am convinced that the best way to support the cause of Donald Ross restoration is to contribute directly to the Tufts Archives in Pinehurst.

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #101 on: October 08, 2006, 03:29:02 PM »
Brad,
With your resignation and Ran's last year, both ironically after GCA postings on ramblings and rhetoric on threads concerning the DRS has me thinking that this would undoubtedly be the very best way to support the memory of Donald Ross. Forgoe the Society and just donate to the Tufts.

It's ashame that this is what it has come to. It really is.

With all regards to the Society and respect to its volunteers and their valuable time, the more the Society allows itself to be put into controversial, if not questionable situations as seen here on Golf Club Atlas, as well as the threats, slander and bullying tactics as such from previous posts--and to continue to allow it to happen and not do anything about it then it is my opinion the society will not only crumble but eventually disappear.

This is what membership dollars have accomplished: pure inaffectiveness with the valuable people who do have the Society's best interest at heart. But they welcome it by writing-off the bad behavor of their titan co-founder who has done as much as tried to ruin the careers of certain architects--good people he didn't favor.

What a horrible place and situation for a society to be in.

But ultimately its the Board's decision and lack of action to stiffle-it, suppress it and to fix the problem, and who just allow this to continually happen which will eventually render the Society a joke.

This is also the reason why I refuse to join for such nonsense as much as inaffectiveness. I've stated to several members of the DRS board, the minute order is restored, I will not only get my check in, but I'll also volunteer my time to personally go to every golfer I know and get them to join as well.

Mike_Young

« Reply #102 on: October 08, 2006, 06:54:04 PM »
Brad,
With your resignation and Ran's last year, both ironically after GCA postings on ramblings and rhetoric on threads concerning the DRS has me thinking that this would undoubtedly be the very best way to support the memory of Donald Ross. Forgoe the Society and just donate to the Tufts.

It's ashame that this is what it has come to. It really is.

With all regards to the Society and respect to its volunteers and their valuable time, the more the Society allows itself to be put into controversial, if not questionable situations as seen here on Golf Club Atlas, as well as the threats, slander and bullying tactics as such from previous posts--and to continue to allow it to happen and not do anything about it then it is my opinion the society will not only crumble but eventually disappear.

This is what membership dollars have accomplished: pure inaffectiveness with the valuable people who do have the Society's best interest at heart. But they welcome it by writing-off the bad behavor of their titan co-founder who has done as much as tried to ruin the careers of certain architects--good people he didn't favor.

What a horrible place and situation for a society to be in.

But ultimately its the Board's decision and lack of action to stiffle-it, suppress it and to fix the problem, and who just allow this to continually happen which will eventually render the Society a joke.

This is also the reason why I refuse to join for such nonsense as much as inaffectiveness. I've stated to several members of the DRS board, the minute order is restored, I will not only get my check in, but I'll also volunteer my time to personally go to every golfer I know and get them to join as well.
DITTO
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

SPDB

« Reply #103 on: October 08, 2006, 11:27:20 PM »
How about we get an article about what's going on here, instead of innuendo and allegations? I have no idea what's going on at the DRS, and this thread, as illuminating as it may be to some, does a poor job of illustrating it. Everybody is making this sound one-sided and I can't tell why.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #104 on: October 09, 2006, 07:51:09 AM »
How about we get an article about what's going on here, instead of innuendo and allegations? I have no idea what's going on at the DRS, and this thread, as illuminating as it may be to some, does a poor job of illustrating it. Everybody is making this sound one-sided and I can't tell why.

Sean,

Why don't you lift the rug while the remaining board members of the DRS sweep the problems under.  Who are the remaining board members and how do you explain their silence or lack of action after Brad's resignation.  It is hard to deny that this thread does not have the ear of 90% of the people in the world who care if restoration work is done properly and ethically.  If not discussed here than where...It's too late for any more behind door meetings..

Mike_Young

« Reply #105 on: October 09, 2006, 07:55:09 AM »
SPDB and Sean,
I don't think you will see an article.
I think most have chosen not to respond to "proof" in a public forum.
There are people in the DRS Board that have very good intentions..several have made significant contributions to the betterment of classical architecture...
There is nothing wrong with a group of people that study a particular architect and have social functions or other events to mix and mesh...
For me the problem comes when the perception of clubs is that a group is a "clearinghouse" or an authority.  Is there an endorsement out there somewhere for this from any of the golf associations?
I agree with Tommy above but out of respect for a few that are involved I will keep it at that.  

Mike_Sweeney

« Reply #106 on: October 09, 2006, 08:21:38 AM »
Brad Klein once wrote in Golfweek about the USGA, "Listening to these USGA fellows explain themselves, I never get the sense their answers are entirely convincing. Nor do I think they are comfortable having to account for such things. Not that anyone is at ease when put on the defensive.

I asked Driver if he was having fun this week, and as is often the case when talking with a USGA official I didn't get a direct answer to my question. "I'm working hard this week, 16-hour days," he said, "and I'll be doing it for 10 or 11 days."

I took that as a "no."

---------------------------------------------------

That is true, I did resign the Board last Friday, Sept. 29, out of concern over policy and direction. I am convinced that the best way to support the cause of Donald Ross restoration is to contribute directly to the Tufts Archives in Pinehurst.

-----------------------------------------------

So Brad, why did you resign?

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #107 on: October 09, 2006, 01:21:14 PM »
Sean,
Speaking for all of GCA, Thanks for protecting us from ourselves.

I'm officially designating you as my very favorite GCA Superhero. I suggest trying to find a copy of Tom Simpson's cape and beret for your costume.

Sean Arble, WHO disguised as mild-mannered eccentric, Tom Simpson is fighting a never-ending battle for truth, justice and the GCA way...

T.J. Sturges

« Reply #108 on: October 09, 2006, 02:09:39 PM »
What the hell happened to this thread?

I made a fairly basic question that I thought would generate some healthy debate, some good information for Ross enthusiasts, and (hopefully) generate some interest for many of you to come and see my beloved Broadmoor.  4,400 views and 115 posts later, this thread is both out of control and inappropriate.  This is a complete train wreck.

This is a reminder to me of why I lost interest in the discussion group 2 years ago.  

TS
« Last Edit: October 09, 2006, 02:11:33 PM by Ted Sturges »

SPDB

« Reply #109 on: October 09, 2006, 02:57:25 PM »
I have no interest in stirring things up, it just seems like one side gets to fight freestyle while the other side is held to the Marquis of Queensbury rules.

Mike_Young

« Reply #110 on: October 09, 2006, 05:01:36 PM »
I have no interest in stirring things up, it just seems like one side gets to fight freestyle while the other side is held to the Marquis of Queensbury rules.
SPDB,
Check post #62 ....seems like there is a lot of freestyle going on there.  
Why is this thread any different than any other thread?
Both sides are free to state opinons here.  

John_Cullum

« Reply #111 on: October 09, 2006, 08:20:18 PM »
So after all this fascinating reading, have we ever come up with the ten?
Raynor was a hack

Noel Freeman

« Reply #112 on: October 11, 2006, 07:38:05 AM »
Michael Fay-

What ever happened to the request for the Donald Ross Society Financials?

Moreover, I have a question.. How many dues paying members are there of the society and if so what percentage of revenues go to the travel budget/stipend you mentioned earlier for your renumeration?

I am solely inquiring and not trying to stir up the pot, but much was promised here that I have not seen.

john_stiles

« Reply #113 on: October 11, 2006, 08:54:52 AM »
Any member of the DRS can obtain the DRS and DRS Foundation financials by contacting me.

John Stiles (5)
Knoxville, Tennessee

jstiles@demaximis.com
800-424-5099
865-251-3174

Geoffrey Childs

« Reply #114 on: October 11, 2006, 10:58:28 AM »
Why are the financials NOT on the website?

The website says there are 1400 members which would result in an income of some $105,000.  Then we are told that number is not current and there are less tehn 400 members.  With a membership of <400 and the financial information revealed by Mr Fay then virtually every penny of the dues would go towards his salary and travel expenses.

If this information (less then 400 dues paying members) is accurate and not made public then why does the website continue to state the 1400 number?

Geoffrey Childs

« Reply #115 on: October 11, 2006, 02:54:16 PM »
John

I appreciate the IM's but the details are still really murky.

I don't know why the true number of dues paying members and the distribution of funds from the dues is such a guarded secret when it is public knowledge with a bit of digging for the forms.

john_stiles

« Reply #116 on: October 11, 2006, 03:13:36 PM »
Geoffrey,

There is no digging for the forms except for about 1 minute of digging.  About as much as it takes to log into GCA.  Shorter than it takes to read a reply from MacWood to Paul or vice-a-versa on why Sir Habbersham should get credit for all parkland golf course architecture. ;)

As I explained in my IM,   it has all been fleshed out above.

Go to Guidestar.org my friend, guidestar, as those above have pointed out.   You can see it all from DRS to Shivas to whatever you want to seacrh for.

As I mentioned in my IM,  I will personally email you the information by Friday, even though you are not a DRS member and are a fine outstanding chap.  ;)   Give me a few days.

John Stiles (5)
Knoxville, Tennessee

Geoffrey Childs

« Reply #117 on: October 11, 2006, 03:31:02 PM »
Thanks John

MJF did say it was on the website.

PS - Its taken me years of thought and I still think I need therapy after reading MacWood to Paul or even me to MacWood on Bethpage.  TEP to Mucci is why I lost my hair  ;D
« Last Edit: October 11, 2006, 03:32:01 PM by Geoffrey Childs »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back