News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

ForkaB

Re:World Match Play today
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2006, 01:47:27 PM »
Jug

Your surname is spelled McSpaden, that is if you're the same guy who was the pro at Winchester when my parents met..... :)

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2006, 02:45:52 PM »
I wonder how many of the contestants in this event are represented by IMG?

Bob

Jim Nugent

« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2006, 03:54:02 AM »
If you play and don't win a golf tournament, how can you continue a "Winning Streak"? ???

Look, I am now firmly in the camp that Tiger will go down as the game's greatest (up to his point in time) -  but just like his limited field no-cut tone-a-mints he was in on his "no cut streak" lets' have some standards here, boys & girls!

How the hell do you play in and don't win a golf tournament (with only 16 players yet!), then  continue on  a "Winning Streak" of consecuitve tournaments? ???

Has consecutive lost its relevance?  

Because the record is for PGA events and the HSBC is not that.  It is not an official PGA sanctioned event, any more than the Skins game is, or those other competitions they play in the off season.

Right after Tiger won his last tournament, I read about Tiger's upcoming schedule.  They listed which events he played in next, to rate his chances of winning 11 or 12.  HSBC was not on the list.  This is not an after-the-fact change of the rules.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2006, 06:33:24 AM »
well, i'm 100% with redanman on this one... the record's only for pga events if you decide it to be... tiger chose to play the world matchplay ahead of a pga event and therefore his streak ends... unless you can convince me that byron nelson played a non-pga event in the middle of his run and it wasn't counted...

ForkaB

« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2006, 07:47:05 AM »
So Ally

If Casey goes 5-0 in the Ryder Cup and then wins his next 6 torunaments in the silly season (skins, mixed foursomes, bingo bango bongo, etc.) does he beat Nelson's record? ;)

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2006, 08:27:12 AM »
...my point being that the world matchplay is one of the most respected tournaments in golf... just because it doesn't happen to belong on the pga of america's tour should not undermine its value... to win eleven in a row, you have to do just that...

...ah, you know - obviously every one can have their own ideas about what constitutes the record

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2006, 01:19:11 PM »
Ally, the matchplay was respected this year because it had Tiger and Furyk in the field as well as those troopers who have long supported it, Els and Goosen.  In recent past years it has not had the world stars such as Tiger and i began to worry (as an HSBC account holder) where my money was going and how soon it would be before HSBC pulled out when it realised that it was pumping in an awful lot of money for a very average cast list.  It may have helped that this year's tournament was played a month earlier than normal and that one or two people were happy to use it to get over vtheir jet lag before the Ryder Cup.  Tiger was spotted at Chelsea's football match yesterday.  Federer one week, Shevchenko the next.  Who will it be next?

Jim Nugent

« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2006, 02:20:55 PM »
 Tiger was spotted at Chelsea's football match yesterday.  Federer one week, Shevchenko the next.  Who will it be next?

How about the backside of Sergio walking off the course on the 14th green, after Tiger whips him 5 and 4 in Sunday singles?  (After pounding him in the team events too, of course.)  

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back