News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Robert Mercer Deruntz

World Match Play today
« on: September 14, 2006, 11:25:29 AM »
Is anyone following this tournament.  Some interesting results so far.  US Ryder Cup foundation seems very troubled.  Tiger must be having some fun !

Phil McDade

Re:World Match Play today
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2006, 11:32:09 AM »
Robert:

Amazing number of upsets (based on seedings). Els conceded his match on the TEE of the 17th...for those not watching, any guesses how it happened?

mike_malone

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2006, 11:34:11 AM »
He hit two OB and he lives right there, so he wanted to go home!
AKA Mayday

Robert Mercer Deruntz

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2006, 11:35:47 AM »
This could be IMG's biggest nightmare.  Woods, Els, Goosen, Scott, and Furyk all going home on the 1st day!

Tim Pitner

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2006, 11:38:49 AM »
Obviously, Tiger going down to Micheel is surprising, but the biggest shock to me was Karlsson 4 & 3 over Furyk.  Casey blowing out Goosen is somewhat surprising, but Casey has been playing well and Goosen hasn't.  I love the format, but the field certainly has lost a few names.  

wsmorrison

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2006, 11:52:40 AM »
Woods lost  :-\

Bryce Mueller

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2006, 11:56:30 AM »
tiger's official streak doesn't end today... of course had he won this week, im sure most of us would count it as 6 in a row towards nelson's 11 so...

Phil Benedict

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2006, 11:56:42 AM »
So if Tiger goes on to lose today, does his win streak end at five or go on with his streak at the next "PGA Tour" stop he plays?

I think he gets a pass because it's not a Tour event, although it does count in the world rankings.

Amazing result.  Shawn Micheel has been playing better since he got that steroid patch but laying a whipping on Tiger is a huge surprise, particularly over 36 holes.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2006, 12:47:25 PM »
i would think that's the end of woods' run... he cannot go back and win the next 7 on the pga tour and say "i've just won 12 in a row"... that would be like calling the tiger slam the grand slam...

...maybe nelson was eleven pga tournaments but i'm guessing that's just the way it worked out... or am i wrong?

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2006, 01:14:51 PM »
This could be IMG's biggest nightmare.  Woods, Els, Goosen, Scott, and Furyk all going home on the 1st day!

Good point!

Voytek Wilczak

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2006, 01:15:32 PM »
So if Tiger goes on to lose today, does his win streak end at five or go on with his streak at the next "PGA Tour" stop he plays?

I'd say the streak continues.

Match play is definitely freaky.

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2006, 01:20:41 PM »
i would think that's the end of woods' run... he cannot go back and win the next 7 on the pga tour and say "i've just won 12 in a row"... that would be like calling the tiger slam the grand slam...

...maybe nelson was eleven pga tournaments but i'm guessing that's just the way it worked out... or am i wrong?

Ally,

I am not quite sure about this but wasn't one of Nelson's wins in tandem with Jug McSpadden?

Bob

George Pazin

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2006, 01:29:32 PM »
I don't have the info on hand, but I think Bob Huntley's correct about Nelson's streak including a match play better ball win.

Doesn't much matter if it's official or not, even the greatest golfer ever wasn't/isn't going to win 6 more PGA Tour events in a row to catch Lord Byron.

I said it on one of the other Ryder Cup threads, match play between 2 tour pros is about as close to a coin flip as you have in sports, at least as far as one single round goes. If Tiger played Micheel 20 tmies, I'd expect him to win significantly more than half, but in a one off, almost anything can - and does - happen.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Greg Holland

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2006, 01:31:28 PM »
According to various shows on the Golf Channel last night before the matches started, this would not impact Tiger's streak because it was not an official PGA event, as noted above.  

BCrosby

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2006, 01:33:52 PM »
Bob -

Yes. I think it was the Miami International Fourball or something like that. I think it was the first tournament of the year.

Bob

George Pazin

« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2006, 01:49:02 PM »
Damn, everyone's gonna start ripping my reading comprehension skills again.

:)
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Voytek Wilczak

« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2006, 01:59:22 PM »
I said it on one of the other Ryder Cup threads, match play between 2 tour pros is about as close to a coin flip as you have in sports, at least as far as one single round goes.

George

Check out above, this was a 36-er.  ;)

Does not matter. During the next 36 holes Tiger would have likely demolished Micheel.

That's why match play results have, let's say mildly, a lot of volatility to them.

It's certainly fun to watch, but decidedly lightweight in the long run.

HEADLINES: Micheel beat Tiger Woods in match play.

ME: Who cares?

Voytek Wilczak

« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2006, 02:10:04 PM »
Voytek

It still counts, just like Kubica got 3rd because Alonso done blowed up! on Sunday. :)

The streak stops at 5.

redanman - touche!

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2006, 02:25:40 PM »

Ally,

I am not quite sure about this but wasn't one of Nelson's wins in tandem with Jug McSpadden?

Bob

Maybe it's me but how did I ever miss that there was once a golfer called Jug McSpadden.   Phillip if I get my name changed by deed poll is it too late to change the entry forms to the Buda cup?

Gooogling reveals..

"Q. Tommy, this year's Hall of Fame ballot, who would you vote into the Hall of Fame, who is on the ballot this year?

TOMMY BOLT: I'm on the ballot.

Q. I know that?

TOMMY BOLT: I hope so. I hope I get in. I'd like to get in before it's all over with. And it's great to be nominated, even, for the Hall of Fame. I just hope to get there.

Q. What other old-timers on that ballot --?

TOMMY BOLT: I think Jug McSpadden. Jug was a good golfer, too. I think he finished second to Nelson about 15 times or something like that."

an untold story?
Let's make GCA grate again!

mike_malone

« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2006, 02:36:22 PM »
 I'm sure Tiger will be veeeerrry upset if he wins the next seven in a row and it isn't seen as a record  :o

It would be over two years so the naysayers would discount it for that reason.

The fact that we even discuss the POSSIBILTIY that he could do it speaks to his place in golf.

AKA Mayday

BCrosby

« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2006, 02:45:26 PM »
Q. What other old-timers on that ballot --?

TOMMY BOLT: I think Jug McSpadden. Jug was a good golfer, too. I think he finished second to Nelson about 15 times or something like that."

an untold story?

The story has been told. At the time Nelson and McSpadden were called the "Gold Dust Twins". They were friends, travelled together and Nelson almost always beat him like a drum. They pretty much were the Tour until Snead got out of the Navy and started playing again in the spring of '45.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2006, 03:17:31 PM »
So our aces took the gas.  Big whoop.  A full week to rest before they open up a can and git-r-done.

Bobby socks
Knee socks
Nylon hose
Here comes Europe
Hold your nose.  

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

George Pazin

« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2006, 04:47:07 PM »
The keeper of the record decides the criteria, so the PGA Tour only counts PGA Tour events. For sure, if he won 12 events in a row, 2 of them being European events, and then lost whatever Buick event he then happened to play next, plenty of people would say that isn't the record, so it cuts both ways.

It's up to everyone else to decide if they see it as a record. I personally am one of the few that consider his 4 majors in a row to be a Grand Slam, so what do I know? :)

However, I will say I wouldn't consider it a streak if he lost a Euro event.

Man, I getting confused. Does Tiger even play 11 PGA Tour events in a year? Of course he does, but for him to get the streak all in the same calendar year, he'd have to start early - and of course skip Riviera.

:)

Phil Benedict

« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2006, 05:08:23 PM »
I think the media has decided the streak is over.

http://msn.foxsports.com/golf/story/5965010?FSO1&ATT=HMA

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2006, 01:27:38 PM »
Thanks Bob

can see short highlights from yesterday and today via this link.

Click on Full screen

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/golf/5349016.stm

Let's make GCA grate again!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back