News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tommy_Naccarato

World Golf Atlas Roll Call
« on: September 05, 2006, 05:49:23 PM »
Count me as one that thinks book totally rocks and was the main source of inspiration for my love of golf architecture. How many of you feel the same?

What course do you feel has changed the most architecturally since the opening version?

Which course do you wish most to visit that was featured in the opening versions of the book?

Which course drawing do you feel best represents the course as a whole?

« Last Edit: September 05, 2006, 06:09:57 PM by Tommy Naccarato »

Willie_Dow

Re:World Golf Atlas Roll Call
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2006, 06:05:07 PM »
Yes, Tommy, it is one of my favorite volumes, and I have six revisions (I think) but that may be wrong, as some are in Florida.  David Tepper had in his Dornoch library "The World Atlas of Golf Courses", put together by Bob Ferrier, ISBN 0-792-45284-4 which was also quite good.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2006, 06:09:15 PM »
Tommy, yes it rocks and Augusta National is on the short list of most changed courses.

Dan Moore

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2006, 06:18:56 PM »
Definitely the book that got me interested in architecture more than 20 years ago.  

I was enamoured with Royal County Down which love was unrequited until almost exactly one year ago today.

Most changed:  Medinah.  Even then the title to the Medinah chapter was "Chicago's controversial golfing shrine."  

"Is there any other game which produces in the human mind such enviable insanity."  Bernard Darwin

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2006, 06:33:16 PM »
Ditto. That book and the articles in Golf Digest by Wind and Gary Player circa 1967 or so got me hooked.

I recall that they credited changes for the '74 Open at Medinah to George Fazio, rather than Killian and Nugent, which kinda honked me off.  They noted that he returned to make changes after losing a playoff in '49.  Great story line, not so great attempt at the truth.

Can't say I ever thought a course ought to be replaced in that front section, but I wished that some of the ones in the back were given fuller treatment.....
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2006, 06:48:08 PM »
I liked reading about, seeing pictures of, and mostly PLAYING many different golf courses long before I saw that book.

But that book did catch my fancy more than any other, and held that role for a long time.  It was the Sports Illustrated golf board game that got me interested in "architecture", however.  If I am interested in such an arcane subject, that is.

;D

Sadly my WGA failed to survive one of my moves... that is it was lost long ago.  Never had the heart to buy another copy.

Michael Dugger

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2006, 06:50:20 PM »
Oh totally, I wore one out.  It fell apart on me.

Have you happened to have checked out the latest version yet?  The addition of Sand Hills, Pacific Dunes etc. make it all the better

What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

peter_p

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2006, 07:41:10 PM »
My original copy is in the library at Bandon Dunes, plus a few other books I donated. My beckonings were TOC and Prairie Dunes. It got me started on my pilgrimages.  

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2006, 08:00:05 PM »
Tommy,

It was certainly one of the early lures in interesting me in GCA

Coral_Ridge

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2006, 08:30:43 PM »
Yes, very good and readable book on golf courses.  And the graphics are superb.  I have an old edition (1976) that I love.  The only problem with the older edition is that some of the golf courses change over time which makes the former layout etc... almost useless if following a tournament on television.  Case in point, the recent PGA at Medinah.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2006, 10:12:48 PM »
It was my first and only golf book for years.  I almost memorized it.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2006, 10:13:10 PM by tommy Williamsen »
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Phil McDade

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2006, 10:42:56 PM »
1991 3rd Edition -- given to me by my wife as birthday gift. She probably regrets it, given how much time I've spent with my nose buried in it. Had long been a golf history buff, and 15 years ago this made me a fan of golf architecture. Had only vaguely heard of places like NGLA, Ballybunion, Mid Ocean and Banff, and had never heard of places like Falsterbo, Chantilly, Hirono, and Royal Adelaide. Because of it, I became absolutely fascinated -- and still am -- by two courses: TOC and Merion East. I've bought lots of golf books since then, but it still remains -- by far -- the best in the collection, in large part because the writing is so darn good.

Dan Boerger

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2006, 07:58:25 AM »

A few years ago, someone gave me their dog-eared copy. Since then, I've purchased the latest edition for myself and for some friends. A really great read, particularly for the uninitiated (like myself).

A current fascination I have right now is with Heathland courses. Any suggestions on books would be appreciated! - Dan
"Man should practice moderation in all things, including moderation."  Mark Twain

BCrosby

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2006, 09:11:29 AM »
Are the newer printings worth buying? I heard that some of the graphics have been improved.

Bob

T_MacWood

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2006, 09:14:48 AM »
Tommy
I love the book. Wasn't it one of the main inspirations for this site?

ANGC has changed quite a bit, and Medinah, Casa de Campo...hasn't Royal Montreal been revamped.

I think the Oakmont drawing is pretty accurate.

I'd like to visit St. Andrews, Hirono and Royal Melbourne

Chris_Clouser

« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2006, 09:19:26 AM »
It was the first golf book I ever got.  What a treasure.  I'm amazed the first version has held up as much as I have looked through it.  

I'm also partial to the current version, having contributed to it and all.  The current version is also much more up to date, but some of the maps are still out of date.  Mark Rowlinson can probalby go into more information about why that is.

Kirk Gill

« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2006, 09:25:51 AM »
I wouldn't know how much courses have changed since the early versions of this book, as I only had my one copy. Somehow the paintings/drawings of the courses stuck in my minds-eye more than photographs would have, I think. It created the list of courses that I had to play in my lifetime. Had me talking about playing Banff Springs and Royal Dornoch when I was in high school and hadn't played anywhere outside of Denver. Loaned it to my former wife's father and never managed to ask for it back (hey, he was former CIA).
"After all, we're not communists."
                             -Don Barzini

Tom_Doak

« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2006, 09:58:58 AM »
Count me in there, too.  One golf writer somewhere printed that I had "memorized" the book, which was not too far from the truth.

I haven't seen the latest edition or the write-up of Pacific Dunes.  Have not been in the bookstore much lately but I have not seen it on the shelf anywhere I have been.

Matthew Rose

« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2006, 10:06:07 AM »

Oh I love this book. My copy is 10,000 miles away at my parents house on the other side of the globe, and is falling apart at the seams. I'm not sure what version I have but it would have to pretty old; it doesn't refer to anything after 1976.

I didn't know there were new, updated versions with newer courses in it. Methinks I need to check this out pronto.
American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Willie_Dow

« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2006, 10:18:31 AM »
Did Mark change the comment about the sixth hole on Merion West in the current edition ?  It isn't a par four, and it is the only hole in one I ever made within 73 years of golf.

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2006, 10:32:59 AM »
Kirk, who knows, maybe it ended-up in a safe house in Beirut or something! You know how those former CIA guys work! So tell me, did you ever have any Gaylord Focker-type experiences with him? ;)

Tom Doak, So what course inspired you the most in the book? which drawing represents the course best, or what is your favorite drawing of all of them?

For me the obvious was the Old Course. I can't begine to tell you how much I've studied that thing! So much when I open the book each time it directly goes to that opening page!

The course I most would like to see is, and get this! Kennemer! I can't begin toi tell you how many times I've looked at Kennemer! Royal Melbourne however looks to me to be my favorite drawing.

Scratch_Nathan

« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2006, 12:34:38 PM »
The maps have mesmerized me since the first time I looked at it.  Especially the Pine Valley map.  Can't count how many times I've studied that spread.  Definitely my favorite book on architecture and the one I still consult most often before visiting the courses it covers.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2006, 12:45:18 PM »
I did not know there was a latest addition.

Kirk Gill

« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2006, 01:21:25 PM »
Kirk, who knows, maybe it ended-up in a safe house in Beirut or something! You know how those former CIA guys work! So tell me, did you ever have any Gaylord Focker-type experiences with him? ;)

I'll tell you - asking for his daughter's hand in marriage was one of the most intimidating moments in my life. It actually caused him to spill his vermouth while making a martini. He allowed the marriage, which in retrospect was probably a mistake on his part.  ;)  If he'd hooked me up to a polygraph, everything might have turned out differently.

He used to ride to the golf course on his BMW motorcycle, with his clubs strapped on the back. He used to tell me "Move your ass lad ! If I had an ass like yours I could hit it 300 yards every time !"

He gave me his daughter, his advice, and his Powerbuilt sand wedge. I couldn't begrudge him my copy of the World Golf Atlas.
"After all, we're not communists."
                             -Don Barzini

JMorgan

« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2006, 08:31:29 PM »
A treasure indeed.  Nothing like this one when you can't have the real thing.  

I recently went on a buying binge on Amazon.  One title that arrived today that I would highly recommend is Scottish Golf Links (Lowe;Joy;Phillips).  Incredible photos -- esp. some of the aerials of the Old Course -- w/historical and architectural perspectives.  I think I paid $4 for a used copy in very good condition. ;D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back