News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_Roths

World 100 Additions
« on: August 24, 2006, 10:43:28 PM »
Given the massive amount of good courses that have opened this year which ones do you think will find themselves ranked in the World 100?

Bayonne
Liberty National
Sebonack
Ballyneal
Stone Eagle
Colorado Golf Club
Dismal River
Pronghorn Fazio
Erin Hills

Steve_Roths

Re:World 100 Additions
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2006, 10:44:52 PM »
To answer my own question I think two will slide in:

Sebonack (top 75)
Ballyneal (top 50)

The other one I would guess might be Colorado Golf Club.

Wayne Freeman

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2006, 10:54:50 PM »
I would agree with the above post based on what I've read and from some conversations with some of my buddies who have visited some of the courses. I have only played Stone Eagle to this point on the list, and although good, has no chance.

Patrick Schultheis

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2006, 10:57:42 PM »
When's the cutoff date for opening?  For example, the second nine at Tumble Creek opened quite late in 2005.  It's not world top 100, but it's very good.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2006, 07:22:04 AM »
If you are talking about the GOLF Magazine list, it won't be done again until the fall of 2007, and I doubt that many of the courses on the above list will have been played by enough panelists by that time to be ranked.

Sebonack does have a distinct advantage in exposure to most of the others, thanks to the general East Coast bias.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2006, 07:48:12 AM »
Tom Doak,

I've heard, from reliable Easterners, that Ballyneal is even better than Sebonack.

That's high praise and indicative that the Eastern bias can still recognize quality golf courses beyond our region.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2006, 07:56:26 AM »
Patrick:

Were those reliable Easterners +3 handicaps?  Sebonack seems to be rated pretty highly among them, because it was designed for that; Ballyneal was not.  So I expect there will not be a unanimous decision on the merits of the two.

Meanwhile, I got the impression from Mr. Nicklaus' comments yesterday that he might think Dismal River is a better course than Sebonack.  It will certainly be interesting to see how the three play out over time, but I think that the East Coast bias will have its effect.  Which is funny, because two years ago, I'd have told you that being next door to Shinnecock and National would hurt the course's reputation rather than help it.

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2006, 08:04:18 AM »
Ballyneal one the new side, Tobacco Road on the "ignored so far" side, Quarry at Giants Ridge on the "out of the way side", Bayonne on the "best pictures side",
« Last Edit: August 25, 2006, 08:19:46 AM by cary lichtenstein »
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2006, 10:48:20 AM »
Tom Doak,

The individuals who made the remarks aren't within ten strokes of a + 3 handicap.

I've not played Ballyneal, so I can't comment on the relative merits of the two courses.

Hopefully that will have changed by next year.

Tim Pitner

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2006, 10:52:40 AM »
To answer my own question I think two will slide in:

Sebonack (top 75)
Ballyneal (top 50)

The other one I would guess might be Colorado Golf Club.

I'd be surprised if Colorado Golf Club were rated so highly--not because it might not deserve it--but because, from what I've seen, it's high on subtlety.  It's on some beautifully rolling land with stands of pine trees, but doesn't have many "knock your sock's off" kind of holes.  Very different from Ballyneal, for example.  Perhaps I'm underestimating raters' ability to appreciate minimalism, but I'd bet I'm not.  

ForkaB

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2006, 10:55:32 AM »
Since this is a "World" 100, any candidates outside of the US of A?  I can't think of any, but I am travel-challenged these days......

Adam Clayman

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2006, 06:23:43 PM »

Meanwhile, I got the impression from Mr. Nicklaus' comments yesterday that he might think Dismal River is a better course than Sebonack.  

This is interesting. I heard after the opening round at DR, Jack walked off saying how some aspects didn't work. It must be the 13th hole from Matt's review, but it still is a bit confusing that Jack would give that impression.

Rihc, The world will have to wait for Cabot Links to open.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back