News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom Zeni

Summer In Monterey - At MPCC
« on: August 14, 2006, 01:22:35 PM »
We're just back from visiting two of our favorite people in Monterey - Bob Huntley, who has been our host on several occasions, and Tom Huckaby who drove to meet us.

As it is with Carmel Bay, it has atmospheric conditions unlike any other, and where you'll find temperates as much as 20* warmer just a short distance inland. Carmel is unique by any definition, and these photos from August 3/4 will show that.

Welcome to Monterey and MPCC:

As we found, summer in Monterey, as depicted by the Hoganesque swing of Bob Huntley, is not all sunshine and crystal blue water.

Below are Bob and Tom on one of the many picturesque greens of the Shore Course.

From the very next hole, Bob and Dick stand on the back "gold" tees and prepare to take aim.

The view from that tee is an awe inspiring vision.

As we await the group in front of us, here are two photos from that tee box. The first is of Bob and I.

Then Sir Huckaby and I...

This from the tee, once again depicting the capricious climate of Monterey.

And if you were wondering who was the overall winner in the game of "Wolf", this swing finish will tell you the rest of the story.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2006, 01:24:02 PM by Tom Zeni »

Tom Huckaby

Re:Summer In Monterey - At MPCC
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2006, 01:35:03 PM »
One hopes that Cary L. sees these pics.  There is no colder winter than a summer in Pebble Beach.   ;)

As for the wolf winner, well... you caught me in the one good part of my swing.  But you'll also notice that Mr. Huntley, having played with me far too often, has perfected the proper watching technique re my medusa-like golf swing.

;D

TH
« Last Edit: August 14, 2006, 01:35:58 PM by Tom Huckaby »

George Pazin

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2006, 01:53:13 PM »
Thanks for sharing.

I would've thought a proper Pittsburgher would laugh at the California notion of cold.

:)
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Tom Zeni

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2006, 01:57:49 PM »
George,

This proper Pittsburgher knows cold. But here, the season is defined as "winter." At Monterey, it's defined as "Summer."  ;
« Last Edit: August 14, 2006, 04:55:55 PM by Tom Zeni »

peter_mcknight

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2006, 02:12:08 PM »
Tom...

What, the wife wouldn't let you splurge for a sweater complete with the gunners' badge?  Where's the Fly Emirates logo on the sweater??

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2006, 02:15:45 PM »
Peter:

Perhaps if Mike Benham sees this, he can post pics of the round we played at MPCC with Messrs. Huntley and Pieracci.  If so, you will see PLENTY of Arsenal regalia.  On that much warmer day, the attire was indeed Arsenal travel polo shirt + hat.  It had to be done to tweak that Chelsea man.

Sadly I don't have a sweater or jacket - YET.  But that's about all I don't have.  In fact for today's first practice of my son's U9 team that I coach, the garb will be the new Fly Emirates jersey, with Rosicky 7 on the back.

;D ;D
« Last Edit: August 14, 2006, 02:16:17 PM by Tom Huckaby »

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2006, 02:29:46 PM »
Tom,

Great photos. It was a pretty dismal day, did you need to enhance the light with Photo Shop?

Thanks again, you made a welcome addition to the party.

Bob

Tom Zeni

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2006, 02:49:46 PM »
Bob,

As with your usual keen eye, I did need to upgrade the photos by creating an overall improvement in the contrast. Regardless, the company overwhelmed the atmospheric conditions of the day.

As always, my appreciation for hosting us.

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2006, 04:24:08 PM »
There is no colder winter than a summer in Pebble Beach.   ;)

I think I'd rather have the chance to play golf on the MPCC Shore Course in a blizzard than spend a sunny day on Miami Beach. I remember driving along 17 mile drive when the Shore Course was still growing in and being somewhat dissappointed that I was relegated to playing Poppy Hills.

Does the course play like something you would expect from Strantz? It certainly shows some of his visual hallmarks.

Do you think the MPCC membership would ever consider allowing the AT&T onto their hallowed grounds?
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2006, 04:29:54 PM »
There is no colder winter than a summer in Pebble Beach.   ;)

Do you think the MPCC membership would ever consider allowing the AT&T onto their hallowed grounds?

Kyle,

I certainly hope not.

Bob

Nick Church

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2006, 04:30:39 PM »
Thanks for sharing!

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2006, 04:47:14 PM »
Nick,

I am not quite sure if you are being quizzical or just snotty, I think I do a fair bit of sharing.

My point is that the Shore course is much too short to host any professional tournament due to the run on the ball. The width of the fairways are enormous and to grow in rough would alter the architects intent. I played in a precursor to the AT&T proper in February, on the Shore, with Barry Jaeckel who is about 54 years old. He hit every par five in two with the exception of the 12th hole which is 598 yards and shot a seven under 65. Can you wonder what sort of scoring would take place with the big boys out there? In addition, the crowds at the AT&T would leave Cypress Point in a sorry state
when they were in the rota and I am sure they are delighted to be out of it.

We already host the California Girls Championship and there is talk going on about hosting the Trans-Miss, but that's about all the spectators that could be handled there.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2006, 05:36:42 PM »
Don't want to butt in here, but I think Nick was thanking all concerned for the great photos of a good day.  At least that's the way I read it.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2006, 05:52:16 PM »
Bob, You swing and finish looked like the one move swing is working for you.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2006, 05:57:38 PM »
Tiger, what is the "one move" swing?  Is this something I need to look at?  Cary L told me I need to fire my right shoulder at the ball and finish horizontally.  I almost dislocated my shoulder.   ???

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2006, 06:04:46 PM »
Nick Church,

Two stalwarts here, Bill McBride and Kevin Reilly, have written to me that I misread your post. They pointed out you were thanking Tom Zeni for the posts and here I thought you were razzing me for NOT wanting to share the course with the AT&T crowd. I mistook the exclamation point at the end of the sentence to mean more than it did.

I do aplogize and now I am grovelling in mortification, well, maybe not that bad, but hope you understand.

Bob

Chris Kurzner

« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2006, 06:52:17 PM »
Wow,

Great pictures, beautiful course.  Thanks for posting the pics!

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2006, 07:08:50 PM »
Okay, enough of the lovefest. I'm feeling all JakaB here, for some reason.

Every time I see a photo of that oft-photographed hole at MPCC, my overriding thought is: it's too busy.

I've never played MPCC (driven through it a time or two), and like any other sane person, I think it looks like a fantastic golf course. But on this particular hole, there is so much going on -- rocks, roads, paths, bunkers with grass islands -- that distracts my eye from what is obviously a fantastic view of the ocean. In this case, is more actually less, or am I off my nut?
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Tom Zeni

« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2006, 07:20:22 PM »
I understand your thinking. However, and you knew they'd be an however, when on that "gold tee" the sweeping vista that your senses are drinking in, including parts of Spyglass hill in the far left and Cypress Point in the far right background, command your complete attention.

If you feel there is a misdirection, and added clutter, due to the lower tees on the left, and rocks to the right of that, it's not the case. It all fits. All of the elements you mentioned are in proportion and only add to the luster.

Once you tee it up, your focus narrows to the fairway. Therefore, from this visitor's eye, we have two separate visions taking place, but not silmutaneously. The panorama is wondrous to any golfer's senses. As you pick up your ball's flight toward the fairway, the view only improves.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2006, 07:33:56 PM by Tom Zeni »

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2006, 12:21:10 AM »
Tom Zeni

do you have any pictures of Sir Bob's follow-through after he has hit a golf ball?  He does have a wonderful follow-through on his practice swings.

James B

James,

And you think you are coming back to Monterey? How could you expose me thus?

Bob

James Bennett

« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2006, 01:55:13 AM »
Sir Bob

how silly of me.  I am obviously too stressed to think.  I have deleted the offending thread.  My apologies.

PS  Your level of flexability in the golf swing is admirable  :D

Humbly, James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Mike Hoak

« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2006, 09:09:20 AM »
I happened to be playing Pebble on that same day .  Is that typical weather for Monterey in the summer.  We were in town for 3 days and the the sun never peaked out even once.  

You guys should have come out to Pebble.  Bill Clinton was playing in the group directly behind us--along with a fleet of golf carts carrying what I assume to be security personnel.  They hopped on the course at #2 and played through #10 and then hopped over to play 17 and 18.  They said they were going over to play the front at Spyglass after finishing Pebble.  

Bill_McBride

« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2006, 09:54:27 AM »
I happened to be playing Pebble on that same day .  Is that typical weather for Monterey in the summer.  We were in town for 3 days and the the sun never peaked out even once.  

You guys should have come out to Pebble.  Bill Clinton was playing in the group directly behind us--along with a fleet of golf carts carrying what I assume to be security personnel.  They hopped on the course at #2 and played through #10 and then hopped over to play 17 and 18.  They said they were going over to play the front at Spyglass after finishing Pebble.  

::) ::)   I have this vision in my mind of that flotilla of golf carts driving through a bunker at #18, circumnavigating the Lodge, hopping onto the 17 Mile Drive admidst much honking and fist-shaking from the tourists, Clinton giving them all the finger  ;D and then swerving down to the first tee at Spyglass.

RHIP: Rank hath its privileges!  :P

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2006, 10:03:33 AM »
Rick:

That "too busy" comment did come up before re this wonderful golf hole, and I addressed it before.  What you have to keep in mind are a few things:

That picture is taken from the back tee - perched high in the rocks - and as 2-D pics are wont to do, it flattens things tremendously.  You really don't see all those rocks and grass islands nearly as prominently as they do appear in that pic - and yes, it does look too busy in that pic - it just doesn't at all look too busy as you stand there and play it.  The rocks and grass islands and the like are all quite below you and your eye really takes in just the greenside bunkers and the green itself for the most part, with the very cool view behind also.

I'm not gonna go all Mucci on you and tell you not to judge a hole simply by pictures - I'd never do that.   ;)

But this is a golf hole that is indeed WAY WAY WAY better in person than in that pic.

TH

Tom Zeni

« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2006, 11:17:25 AM »

Mike, the day Clinton played Pebble was one day prior to our playing at MPCC. And, you missed it by one day, as the sun did come out on Friday afternoon. Glorious as always.

However, I was at Pebble when President Clinton was there.
In my opinion, he was a great President. But, as I watched him on the 18th, and four out of the greenside bunker into the rough, chunked it from the rough to the fringe, then swiped at the ball with his putter to have the ball end 12 inches from the hole - his golf game, ah, needs work.

Pres. Clinton held court afterward, and said he arrived at 3AM. He wasn't even shaven, but stayed to answer most questions, and instantly connected with the gathered throng.
Regardless of your political affiliation, maybe you'll agree, he may arguably be the best politician of the 20th century.

Below are the photos I snapped including the final pic where I was fortunate enough to have my photo taken with him.

I was over there. How did I end up here?

Yep, Finally got that one out.

Chipping for a snowman. Whoops...Chunk

Shaking hands...

Holding Court....

More...

Bill and Me...

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back