News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Troy Alderson

Re:Haney on Rough
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2006, 10:54:44 PM »
And I understand that everything I just wrote is what is wrong with the game...but that is the game we are faced with.  I'd be an idiot to play it any other way.

Careful with that comment, I may have to report you to the moderator.   ;) ;) ;)  But I understand why you play that way.  We have to play with the clubs we have in the bag.  BUT, and its a big BUT, some of us still try to make the game more challenging by taking only the odd number clubs or play with hickorys.  Maybe we are the odd ones.

Troy

James Bennett

« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2006, 10:57:08 PM »
I was curious how many fairways the winners this year on tour actually did hit.  So I compiled the stats.  This includes all PGA events in 2006, except the Match Play tournament...

Ave:                  67.8%
Ave first 3 majors:     68.7%
Highest:        85.7% (Tiger Woods, Open Championship)
Lowest:      46.4% (TW, Doral and Torrey Pines; and Sabatini at Riviera)
Above 80%      6 tournaments
Above 70%      13 tournaments
Below 60%      7 tournaments
Below 50%      3 tournaments

Courses where winners hit over 80% of fairways:  Pebble Beach…Hoylake…Muirfield Village…TPC Sugarloaf…TPC Southwind…TPC Avenel

Courses where winners hit under 60%:  Riviera…Doral…Torrey Pines…Colonial…Winged Foot West… Waialae CC…TPC Scottsdale

Tiger Woods has both the highest total and the lowest.  His first round at TP North he hit 7% of the fairways.  

Corey Pavin hit 23% of fairways when he shot 61 last month.

Corey Pavin's round looks like 'the exception that proves the rule'.  Unbelievable, a great round.

Jim Nugent, thanks for the analysis.  How did the field go on % of fairways hit at the events won with over 80% fairways hit, and with less than 60% fairways hit?  That is, did the winner do better/worse than the field?  

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2006, 01:11:41 AM »
Are there tour stats for percentage of fairways hit with the driver vs. with 3-woods, irons, etc.?

Jim Nugent

« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2006, 02:29:04 AM »
James -- I only have stats for the entire field for three tournaments: Masters, and U.S. and British Opens.

At ANGC, Phil hit 63.6% of fairways, while the field averaged 66.74%.  He made up for that by hitting 70% GIR.  Far better than the field, that hit only 58.36% GIR.  

At WFW, Ogilvy, the winner, hit 57% of fairways.  He tied for 21st out of 63 players.  Sluman hit the most fairways, 68%.  Median was around 52%.  Slu also led GIR with 67%.  Ogilvy tied for 13th, with 58%, as did Phil.  Monty hit 54% GIR.  

At Hoylake, the field averaged 67.3% fairways hit.  Tiger hit 85.7%. He also hit 80.5% GIR.  The field averaged 66.6%.    

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back