News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Chris DeToro

Re: How Many Different Courses Have You Played?
« Reply #175 on: November 07, 2013, 07:30:32 PM »
Sadly, I am one of those that actually keeps track.  Though to be fair, I only recently started really keeping track (I have a spreadsheet covering in) so I'm sure that I've missed some over time, but by my count I've played 220 courses in 30 states and 11 countries

Cory Lewis

« Reply #176 on: November 07, 2013, 07:57:08 PM »
Hoover...why so quick to judge?  It's not as though everyone is belt-notching.  For every top 100 course I play, there are 3-4 local courses few have heard of.  I just love to see new and different courses, just as I love to travel to new places, both here and abroad, try different foods, etc.  we all have different motivations, and like most everything else discussed on this board, there is no right/wrong.  Others want to play over 1,000 courses, play the world top 100, or play in every state. I think those are cool goals to go after.

This is why I love GCA.  People who are smarter than me sum up my thoughts on this subject more eloquently than I am capable of.  Well said Brian!
Instagram: @2000golfcourses
http://2000golfcourses.blogspot.com

BHoover

« Reply #177 on: November 07, 2013, 08:00:34 PM »
Hoover...why so quick to judge?  It's not as though everyone is belt-notching.  For every top 100 course I play, there are 3-4 local courses few have heard of.  I just love to see new and different courses, just as I love to travel to new places, both here and abroad, try different foods, etc.  we all have different motivations, and like most everything else discussed on this board, there is no right/wrong.  Others want to play over 1,000 courses, play the world top 100, or play in every state. I think those are cool goals to go after.

This is why I love GCA.  People who are smarter than me sum up my thoughts on this subject more eloquently than I am capable of.  Well said Brian!

I'm not judging anyone. I only said that keeping track of the number of courses I've played is not something that interests me and my list probably isn't that impressive anyway. I'm not saying don't do it. I just don't have the interest or motivation to do the same.

And Brian, you know that I enjoy seeing new courses too. I just don't have permission to do so as often as I'd like. My wife's view is, we joined a club, so I better use it.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 08:05:45 PM by Brian Hoover »

Nigel Islam

« Reply #178 on: November 07, 2013, 08:09:02 PM »
I went back and counted when I saw the Cory Lewis thread on his 1000th course played which I could not even comprehend. I am at 199 right now. I think 200 is a pretty large sized number............except here.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 09:36:53 PM by Nigel Islam »

Brian Finn

« Reply #179 on: November 07, 2013, 08:19:54 PM »
I went back and counted when I saw the Corey Lewis thread on his 1000th course played which I could not even comprehend. I am at 199 right now. I think 200 is a pretty large sized number............except here.

So true.  I was talking to a friend this summer at a golf outing and he was astonished when I told him I had played nearly 300 courses.  Then I told him about Cory playing 1,000 courses, sometimes 3-4 in a day, and my buddy said something to the effect of, "so, you're not even very good at being a golf nerd, are you?"  I got a good laugh out of that.
New for 2023:  Cheraw SP, Grandfather, Clyne, Tenby, Pennard, Langland Bay, Southerndown, Pyle & Kenfig, Royal Porthcawl, Ashburnham, Rolls of Monmouth, Old Barnwell...

Scott Warren

« Reply #180 on: November 07, 2013, 08:42:26 PM »
Saltzman's tally for a guy of the age I understand him to be is remarkable. I will dip my lid to him when he adds Bonnie Doon to his list in Feb (by which point he'll probably be past 900!).

I played 85 courses from 12-25 years of age and have played another 101 from 26-30.

I love to see new courses, but most of the great and interesting courses of the world are a fair way from Sydney, so when I get there I like to play them a few times and get to know them a bit rather than playing and then dashing off somewhere different.

My main course-related goal has been to play the best course on each major landmass (North America, South America, GB&I, Europe, Asia and Australia). I have four of the six covered - need to get to Japan and Argentina someday. But then my wife went and got me a World Top 100 plaque for my 30th b'day...

BHoover

« Reply #181 on: November 08, 2013, 11:30:16 AM »
I know that I'm going to catch hell for this, but so be it.  I decided to rack my brain and come up with the number of courses that I've played.  I know I'm probably missing a few, but my best guess is that I've played 127 different courses (Ohio - 101; Pennsylvania - 2; West Virginia - 1; North Carolina - 4; South Carolina - 5; Florida - 5; Michigan - 1; Arizona - 7 and the UK - 1).

Pete Blaisdell

« Reply #182 on: November 08, 2013, 12:42:38 PM »
  I spotted this thread this morning and really have never thought about it but going through my score card collection and the USGA member club / course listing and various lists and state by state rankings and having played every course in NH , 11 that no longer exist and the overseas list (31) , it's over a thousand having started playing this great game in 1956(First course, Sullivan GC (NH)-no longer exists--latest Blue Hill-Canton , Ma.).

Been a great trip so far, I have two on my bucket list--Camargo and Fisher's Island.
' Golf courses are like wives and the prom queen doesn't always make for the best wife "

Andrew Hastie

« Reply #183 on: November 08, 2013, 04:43:30 PM »
I sat down one day and wrote down every course I have ever played, with help of the internet and a jaded memory. But I can remember something about all 313 course on my list. However compared to some people's lists it sounds like nothing!

Australia                  152
British Isles.              43
Continental Europe 100 (Holland 57)
USA.                         18

Total =                       313

Joel Zuckerman

« Reply #184 on: November 08, 2013, 05:04:59 PM »
842 to date, including a paltry 32 this year.  Click on the link if you MUST know each and every one..suffice it to say 41 states and  15 countries thus far.)

http://vagabondgolfer.com/lifetime-course-list/

Would like to get to a thousand someday, but now that Cory has beaten me to the magic number (and might I add 20 years younger than I to begin with) apathy is starting to set in!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back