News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Gene Greco

Friar's Head and NGLA
« on: October 28, 2002, 08:03:21 AM »
Played NGLA with Dave "Shivas" Schmidt and Ed Getka on Thursday and Friar's Head on Sunday with Brad "Sneaky Long" Miller and our host Greg.

As always, the gentlemen who I meet who frequent this web site turn out to be just that - gentlemen. Brad and I have played together on occasion prior to our day at FH but it was a pleasure meeting both Ed and Dave.

My experiences at NGLA are always like a childlike skip across the land, wackin' golf balls and laughing all the way. Maybe the most fun I have playing this great game occur at The National Golf Links of America.

However, the fun level didn't seem to faulter much during my first experience at Friar's Head. As at NGLA, I couldn't wait to hit my next shot, see the next hole or putt on those Perry Maxwellian type green complexes. What incredible variety throughout!

Favorite holes were #'s 5,7 and 10. #10 is like a large version of #8 at Maidstone, par 3 about 190 yds (?) (no yardages on the scorecard) with a semiblind look at the giant St Andrews type green. #7 is one of the most beautifully perfect par 5s in the world and #5 is an all-world short par 4 which is my favorite hole on the course and maybe on the east end of LI.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »
"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

Erich

Re: Friar's Head and NGLA
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2002, 09:05:57 AM »
Is it possible for anyone to post pics of Friar's Head?  I am sure a ton of us would love to see what a few of you guys have been discussing.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2002, 10:38:05 AM »
Gene,

I think there is something about both courses that strikes me as sporty, and fun, while retaining their competitive challenge.

I had Dave and Ed to GCGC the day before their visit to NGLA, and found them to be terrific fellows, as you did.  Through golf, one tends to meet some very nice people.  I think playing GCGC a fairly flat course in the middle of densely populated Long Island, and NGLA a beautiful course perched above Sebonic Bay gave them a glimpse of what has spoiled us over the years.  They were a delight to be with.

I find that while GCGC is an enjoyable course to play, once you get past the first five (5) holes, it seems a little more demanding, perhaps a shade less sporty, but it can still be fun to play.

NGLA and FH have some unique greens that can be both difficult and fun.  I find the par 5's sporty, and the variety on the par 4's more than sufficient to hold your interest.  They both seem to be well balanced golf courses.  They also have an abundance of WIND which is the icing on the cake.

I can't imagine playing either course, and not enjoying myself, irrespective of how I play, and I think that is a critical test with respect to a golf course.

Gene Greco

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2002, 05:39:57 PM »
Patrick says:

"I can't imagine playing either course and not enjoying myself, irrespective of how I play, and I think that is a critical test with respect to a golf course."

Well put, Patrick.

And by the way, thanks for your recent offer.
"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2002, 07:02:17 PM »
Gene,

I think great architecture reveals itself irrespective of how your game fares.

I think enjoyment is one of those revelations.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back