News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

mike_malone

Death and Golf
« on: July 24, 2006, 03:20:04 PM »
 There seems to be some relationship between the two.   The obvious physical reality of death can mask its emotional impact. But, surely our emotions are affected by the death of a loved one. We are required to change our relationship with the deceased.

Tiger may have been struggling with that relationship at the U.S.Open but seemed to have it figured it out by the Open. How much was Chris Demarco affected by his mother's death.? I think quite a bit.

The commentators seemed to get close to the "emotional" impact of death, but I think there is more to explore on this topic.

As for myself my dad has been gone for ten years but I still lean on the lessons he taught me about golf as life.
AKA Mayday

PThomas

Re: Death and Golf
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2006, 03:23:28 PM »
Jack has stated that his dad's death helped rouse him from the severe slump he was in....it made him realize that he was just kind of cruising for a few years, not working enough on his game

I envy all of you who have/had good relationships with your father...please don't take them for granted
197 played, only 3 to go!!

Jordan Wall

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2006, 03:36:55 PM »
Jack has stated that his dad's death helped rouse him from the severe slump he was in....it made him realize that he was just kind of cruising for a few years, not working enough on his game

I envy all of you who have/had good relationships with your father...please don't take them for granted

Paul, that is very well spoken.

Dad's are the best!!!!!

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2006, 03:41:29 PM »
My little sister was kidnapped and murdered at a young age so before every basketball or other major sporting event I would go to her memorial and ask for a little help.  If you are going to ask dead people for help you better do it during practice...Before or during a game is too late for them to do any good.

mike_malone

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2006, 04:14:37 PM »
 John,

When a loved one is taken violently it certainly is a different grieving experience than the one Tiger and DeMarco had. I haven't had that experience but have a couple of close friends who are a decade separated from that awful day and still greiving deeply.
AKA Mayday

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2006, 04:23:31 PM »
Mayday,

What I found most interesting was the thought that DiMarco was going to win because of destiny.  I hope that Earl and Norma were up in heaven having a battle royal over which putts would go in until they finally brokered a deal where both came out winners.  One thing about heaven is...you better have patience...

Who knows...Maybe it was my sister who had me go to DQ the day I met my wife..She always liked treats more than sports anyway.

mike_malone

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2006, 04:30:01 PM »
 I'm sorry I have been spelling Chris's name incorrectly.

I don't buy this "destiny" stuff either. But, I do think the emotional aspects of golf are affected by how big life events change us.
AKA Mayday

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back