News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Doug Ralston

Courses in Loconia or Concord NH area.
« on: July 20, 2006, 09:14:42 PM »
I have a friend going to that area, he asked if anyone could recommend courses. I expect they would have to be public, since his relatives there do not play.

What is good?

Doug

Brad Tufts

Re:Courses in Loconia or Concord NH area.
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2006, 09:50:20 PM »
Doug-

I have not played Laconia CC, but I've heard it's decent.

My recommendation among those I have played is Kingswood.  9 holes of Ross, 9 much newer.  Its a fun course that is surprisingly good.
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Mike Policano

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2006, 11:10:34 PM »
Doug, Laconia CC is a fun course and a good walk if your buddy is staying in the area.  It is usually in good condition, the greens are pretty good with good speed and it lacks the "mountain" lies in the fairway like other courses in the area.

Stonebridge in Goffstown near Concord is pretty good for the area.  Also Lochmere in Tilton.

Brad Tufts

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2006, 08:58:38 AM »
I thought Lochmere, after playing it once, was not really worth a second play.

It was well-conditioined, but it doesn't seem like there was enough room for some of the holes.  There are some too-severe doglegs out there, and one of them especially.  This hole doglegs right down a hill so severe a bell must be used to indicate when the fairway is clear.  The shots must be played over woods and a ravine, and there really is no good place to hit your ball.

Mike Policano

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2006, 09:15:49 AM »
Brad, I agree with you Lochmere comments.  I have been going to NH for 20 years, but never for the golf.  I was just giving choices to one who was visiting relatives as opposed to great golf.  Generally I just look for something close.  I am not aware of a course in NH that is worth much of a drive.

Cheers

Brad Tufts

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2006, 12:44:23 PM »
Yeah, the real good ones are up in the mountains...like the Balsams...or private...like Lake Winnepesaukee, Manchester CC, Bald Peak....Portsmouth CC is fun, but that's down on the coast of course.

-Brad

Doug Ralston

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2006, 02:04:17 PM »
Brad;

I found on 'golfcourse.com' a public one in the mountains, as you suggest, called 'Ragged Mountain'. Looks pretty but VERY tough. Anyway, the friend who is going up there is a '3' so I will make him work!  :D

Thanks for everyone's input.

Doug

Michael Moore

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2006, 02:15:45 PM »
Doug -

I played Ragged Mountain on my way home from Vermont one afternoon. The course was designed by the late Jeff Julian.

I have fond memories because there was a persistent fog and there was noone else on the course. A friend and I carted around in about 150 minutes and continued on our way.

Like many New England mountain courses, some holes going straight up and down, some transition holes, and some flat ones down in the valley.

Very enjoyable.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2006, 02:16:13 PM by Michael Moore »
Metaphor is social and shares the table with the objects it intertwines and the attitudes it reconciles. Opinion, like the Michelin inspector, dines alone. - Adam Gopnik, The Table Comes First

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back