News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Garland Bayley

Has Tom Doak ever ...
« on: April 18, 2013, 06:13:03 PM »
used the 9th at Westward Ho! as a template for a short par 5?

If so, where?
What merits?
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tom_Doak

Re: Has Tom Doak ever ...
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 07:49:42 PM »
Not entirely ... I try not to use ideas from elsewhere if there is something on site to run with instead.

But, I believe that my sixth hole at High Pointe (a short par-5) was partly inspired by the 9th at Westward Ho!  It had a single bunker at left front; the right side of the green was higher so you could steer balls in, and then it fell away to the back left, behind the bunker.  There was a bit more going on with the right side of it, but that was the general idea.

Matthew Essig

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2013, 08:20:43 PM »
Tom has hinted at it by using the name Westward Ho! for the 15th at Old Mac.  ;)
"Good GCA should offer an interesting golfing challenge to the golfer not a difficult golfing challenge." Jon Wiggett

Garland Bayley

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2013, 08:33:24 PM »
Tom has hinted at it by using the name Westward Ho! for the 15th at Old Mac.  ;)

I'm thinking that is more for rumpled fairway, than similarity to #9. E.g., similarity to #6. Besides it goes westward.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Bill_McBride

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2013, 08:45:45 PM »

That's the par 5 up the hill?   No similarity to the green Tom himself described above. 

Matthew Essig

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2013, 08:48:26 PM »
I said he hinted it with the name... I never said that the 15th had any resemblance to the original Westward Ho!....... I was hoping the winkie face helped send that message across...
"Good GCA should offer an interesting golfing challenge to the golfer not a difficult golfing challenge." Jon Wiggett

Tom_Doak

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2013, 08:57:14 PM »
I christened the 15th at Old Macdonald Westward Ho! because

a)  Macdonald was a fan of Westward Ho!, and
b)  The hole plays straight west into the setting sun   :P

But, there is more elevation change on that one hole than on all 18 holes of Royal North Devon put together.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2013, 08:22:57 AM »
But, I believe that my sixth hole at High Pointe (a short par-5) was partly inspired by the 9th at Westward Ho!  It had a single bunker at left front; the right side of the green was higher so you could steer balls in, and then it fell away to the back left, behind the bunker.  There was a bit more going on with the right side of it, but that was the general idea.

This one?  I really enjoyed the holes on the flattish part of the site.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2013, 10:22:54 AM »

This one?  I really enjoyed the holes on the flattish part of the site.

Those must be the great sea rushes in the background. ;D

Seriously. Do you see similarities in the play of the two holes John?

Tom_Doak

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2013, 12:41:46 PM »
The similarity was that the hole at High Pointe was designed to receive a running approach shot and turn it left to a portion of the green that was difficult to hold with an aerial approach.  The green at Westward Ho! sits up more and the hole location on the left is much shallower.

Just remembered, I had proposed a green based on that one for our Rio design, too.

Dan Moore

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2013, 01:14:33 PM »
Old Mac Westward Ho

"Is there any other game which produces in the human mind such enviable insanity."  Bernard Darwin

Tom_Doak

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2013, 01:58:32 PM »
Great photo, Dan ... I love the colors.  Throw in a few sheep and it could almost be Westward Ho!

Garland Bayley

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2013, 03:18:42 PM »
Just as a side note, there are quite a few golf holes named Westward Ho! around the world. The ones I took time to look at were all par 4s. I presume that they were named Westward Ho! at least in part, because they head west, especially I ran across on named Southward Ho! that had the explanation that they couldn't name it Westward Ho! like the others, because it headed to the south.

Dan Moore

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2013, 10:57:10 AM »
Thank you Tom.  I was lucky to have some nice light that day and the day prior at Pac Dunes.  A few more of Old Mac's Westward Ho.

"Is there any other game which produces in the human mind such enviable insanity."  Bernard Darwin

Jud_T

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2013, 11:05:51 AM »
Dan,

Pretty sweet, except it looks like you happened upon some Croquet players...   8)
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back