News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve Curry

Re: Who Are You Guys(revisited)?
« Reply #125 on: December 12, 2002, 04:55:54 AM »
I went and looked at the old thread, wow, that was 3 years ago, god I have been coming to this have for over 3 years... getting old  :'(

Still Superintendent at Berkshire Hills CC, Pittsfield Ma, Tillie in New England.

For any that can, go to the Winter gathering, its a blast to meet people here.  Looking forward to seeing Pat Mucci, George Bahto, BillV, GeoffryChilds, NAF, Paul Turner... all the people I met at Yale at the upcoming event and especially meeting TEPaul.  Tom we have talked so many times but not met yet?

Thanks to Bob Decker for the kind words.  You are in the midst of a great opportunity and it is great that you are spreading the word here on GCA.

Thanks to all the worldly folk that describe and discuss courses that I only hope to see but may never.  Living vicariously!  ;)

Regards,
Steve
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

RJ_Daley

« Reply #126 on: December 12, 2002, 08:00:19 AM »
You gotta love a guy that calls his buddies at the antipod, from inside the RHB!  Good on ya mate! ;D 8)
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Steve Lang

« Reply #127 on: December 12, 2002, 10:09:25 PM »
:D

Name: Steve Lang.. aka in certain locales, TXSeve and slang

Physical Age: 50.5

Golf Age: 40+  

Education/Vocation: BS Chemical/MS Environmental Engineer.   Playing with big-oil's billion dollar toys.

Journey: Takoma Park, D.C.; Silver Spring, MD; Monroeville, PA; Toledo, OH; Cincinnati, OH; SF, CA; Mesa, AZ; Bowling Green, OH; Lima, OH (Lost In Middle America); State of Houston (The Woodlands), TX..

Favorite Drink:  JD on the rocks

Favorite Arterial Challenge:  French Onion Soup, Porterhouse with fries, broccoli with cheese sauce and a Baileys White Russian on the side with some NY Cheese Cake to top things off.

3 Most Memorable Golf Experiences: 1) Walking TOC on a balmy September Sunday; 2) missing a 7 foot birdie at TOC #17; and 3) Going OB at TOC #18 by 6 inches (arguably one of the widest golf holes in the world?) and later bowing to the crowd's misplaced admiration of my 4 foot bogey putt for a 77.

Avocation/MindlessPursuits:  Golf alchemist.. Turning crap into gold and gold into crap.  Computering golf course wind fields and water balances.  Mining GCA archives and putting in my 2 cents worth.  Attended MSU GCA class summer of 1999 at Boyne, haven't been the same since.

Sporting News: A 7-8 index with D-2M-4M-4-6-8-10-GW-P in the bag.  

Original Home Course: Ottawa Park, Toledo. Vintage 1899, expanded to 18 in 1916 by ???  Site of first US Amateur Public Links Championship 1922

Current Home Courses : WCC Player, Palmer, Oaks, Pines, & TPC

Goal:  Having a Pat_Mucci/TEPaul spectrum mind meld without any bias.  

Most entertaining esoteric quote:  The more precisely the position is determined, the less precisely the momentum is known in this instant, and vice versa.
--Heisenberg, uncertainty paper, 1927  ;)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:01 PM by -1 »
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Gary_Nelson

« Reply #128 on: December 13, 2002, 09:29:00 AM »
Name:  Gary Nelson
Family:  Wife & 2 kids
Home:  Northville, Michigan
Handicap:  7
e-mail:  gnelson@recoton.com
Favorite course: Hickory Hill... a 9 holer where I learned to play the game.   That damn 3rd hole is still my nemesis.  175 yard par 3 with a punchbowl green that I've missed 99 out of 100 times.
Best golf memory:  2nd shot into #8 at Pebble Beach... my new bride watching in the cart.  Stiffed it to 6 feet.
How I found GCA:  Google search for Crystal Downs.
GCA addiction level:  Full and complete.   A lurker who enjoys reading discussions on and maintenance meld.

I'm always eager to meet up with fellow GCA'ers and play a round of golf, buy a few drinks and get to discuss golf with people who gives a damn about this crazy and wonderful game.  

TEPaul

« Reply #129 on: December 13, 2002, 04:01:31 PM »
Steve Lang:

One of your goals is to have a TEPaul/Pat Mucci spectrum mind meld...?

Ouch, the thought alone gives me a migraine! I might allow my mind to be slightly corrupted occasionally, but never that much.

Steve Lang

« Reply #130 on: December 13, 2002, 04:14:04 PM »
:o

TEPAul

I couldn't resist.. a ying/yang, quantitative/qualitative mixture of substance/style.. internal tension/resolution of mind..

One cannot first know what can be observed, but you must first know a theory, or produce a theory, and then you can define what can be observed.... Or is it the other way around?  Namely, that nature only allows for such situations which can be described with a mathematical scheme?

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:12 PM by -1 »
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

TEPaul

« Reply #131 on: December 13, 2002, 04:32:12 PM »
Steve;

It's the other way around--at least it is for Pat. He comes up with what he thinks will be observed and then he dreams up  some cockamammy theory out of thin air that's by design the opposite of a reasonable consensus of opinion and thought.

Or put in a more colloquial way; The man just loves to argue with people!

I'm about ready to pull my rope-a-dope act on him, though, and just watch him argue until he drops from exhaustion.

Mills Lane

« Reply #132 on: December 13, 2002, 04:48:34 PM »
Tom Paul,

When's the last time that happened ?

Steve Lang

« Reply #133 on: December 13, 2002, 04:51:22 PM »
;)

Then you are Einstein, he is Heisenberg! Amazing..
The voice of Inverness"

TEPaul

« Reply #134 on: December 13, 2002, 04:59:28 PM »
Mills Lane:

It was the same year George Foreman went down from exhaustion at that fight in africka. That was a while ago, for sure, and Pat can sure talk and argue but I figure he's about ready for another dive from a well executed rope-a-dope! That's an excellent term--rope-a-dope, don't you think?

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #135 on: December 14, 2002, 10:36:53 AM »
I just read this thread for the first time (and it is a most impressive read at that) and thought that I would give my info as well:

Name: Philip Young
Home: Alpharetta, Georgia
Email: Philwritesbooks@aol.com

In my early days, I worked as an electrician in a hospital for 12 years, when I left and ended up owning a fire alarm company. After selling that I moved down to Georgia where I helpde open a fire alarm branch for a major security firm, before once again going into business on my own as a consultant offering corporate training services.

About five years ago I closed that business down and became a Mr. Mom and 24/7 caregiver to both of my sons who developed different severe mental illnesses in their late teens. As they improved I started to write a little in my spare time (something I have always loved to do) and my very first short story ended up being published in two different magazines. I have been VERY fortunate in my success, with numerous short stories and poems being published.

My first golf work, a very long poem titled "The Day Buffalo Jack Played the Black" led to my first golf book "Golf for the People: Bethpage and the Black" which was published this past May. That led me to being the only non-media related  person to be given credentials for the 2002 U.S. Open and the 2002 Tour Championship.

I just finished my manuscript for book #2, "Golf's Finest Hour: The Open at the Black" and will soon be starting book #3 which I am planning to be the history of East Lake.

I grew up and lived on Long Island till I was 40. I first swung a golf club when I was 4 and actually played to a scratch when I was in my twenties. I learned my love of the game at Bethpage and have a passionate love of the Black wher my brother holds the course record of 62 shot when he was 17 during a high chool golf tournament. Unfortunately, a car accident and spinal fusion surgery has relegated my game to a lets have laughs and some fun status, and I must confess that it is this type of play I enjoy most of all.

If anyone is interested in my book on the Open and would like an advance peak at a chapter or two, just email me!  

Steve_Fairfax

« Reply #136 on: December 20, 2002, 03:40:28 PM »
Steve A. Fairfax
Hometown: Beaverton, OR
Job:  Salesman for Chip Maker
I have a 6 year old son.

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I have been playing golf all my life and was a member of the Elon (NC) golf team in college.  My golfing highlight is having two holes in one during one round of golf.   8)

I found this website when a friend of mine convinced me to take a trip to bandon dunes to play golf.  I did a google search on Bandon Dunes and found the course profile.  A couple of months later, I found the discussion site and I have been lurking ever since.  

My favorite course in the Portland area is Eastmoreland because of its wild greens.  I wish someone would come in and do a proper restoration of Eastmoreland because I think the course could be something special under the right care.  Shinnecock is the best course in the US that I have played and I really enjoyed its championship qualities.  One of my favorite modern architects is Rees Jones.

texsport

« Reply #137 on: December 21, 2002, 09:28:06 AM »
 Internet Name: Texsport

Real Age:     60-and have earned every grey hair

Residence:   Sugar Land, Texas

Vocation:     Research Director for a food company

Education:    PhD-Piled higher and Deeper

Non-Golf         Collector of everything/Houston Astros fan
 Hobbies:        LSU sportsfan/Fishing/Photography/Orchids

Married well: 3 grown children and 1 spoiled grandson

Pets:           3 grown Catahoula Leopard Hounds/ 1 confident
                    Chartreaux cat

Favorite courses I've played in alphabetical order:  
            Black Wolf Run                Medinah #3
            Champions G.C.               Olympic Lake                  
            Colonial C.C.                   Pebble Beach
            Durban C.C.                    Pinehurst #2
            Harbor Town                   Royal Johannesburg G.C.
            Hiroshima G.C.                 The Quarry@Giants Ridge
            Montevedeo G.C.

Most memorable golf experiences: Watching my 10 yr. old    
                                                son make his 1st hole-in-1
                                                and watching him make
                                                another in the NCAA
                                                Championship finals.

Glad to be living in the Houston, Texas area where we
  have more than 100 golf courses playable 365/yr. and
  the best sports stadiums(if not the best teams) in the
  world.

Glad that I can spend summers in Minnesota fishing and
  playing golf 17 hours a day. (As I said, I married well). 

John Kendall    

nandoal

« Reply #138 on: December 23, 2002, 11:47:11 AM »
Name: Allan Hernandez

Home: Pittsburgh, PA

e-mail: nandoal26@aol.com

current index: 13.2

Fav teams: Steelers, Penguins, Pirates, Penn State Football, Duke Basketball, Celtics, and US Mens soccer team

Fav golfer:  Phil Mickelson

Fav golfers wife:  Amy Mickelson

Fav courses I have played:
 1. Bel-Air CC
 2. Monterary Peninsula Country Club, Dunes course
 3. Riveria CC
 4. Pittsburgh Field Club
 5. Fox Chapel Country Club

Fav architect: Seth Raynor

Best golfing moment:  One day while I was working at Bel-Air Country Club, playing alone trying to finish before dark.  Having my best round ever.  On the 18th as I could hardly see.  I hit my second shot to the green. As soon as it leaves my club I have to idea where it is at.  No where to be found, as I walk by the hole I peak in it.  Yes I had knocked it in from the fairway for an eagle.  To break 80 for the first time.  An eagle on the 18th @ Bel-Air is my greateest golfing memory.

Matthew Mollica

« Reply #139 on: January 09, 2003, 07:45:53 PM »

Hi Scott,

This new reply should help you reinvigorate this thread...

Matt
"The truth about golf courses has a slightly different expression for every golfer. Which of them, one might ask, is without the most definitive convictions concerning the merits or deficiencies of the links he plays over? Freedom of criticism is one of the last privileges he is likely to forgo."

Craig_Rokke

« Reply #140 on: January 09, 2003, 07:46:29 PM »
Pulling this forward for Scott Wood and Alpine group

JohnV

« Reply #141 on: January 10, 2003, 07:26:11 AM »
Updated 7/22/2010 since George pestered me.  ;)

John Vander Borght
Manager, NCGA Junior Tour
Poppy Hills Golf Course

Living in Pacific Grove, CA

Not a member anywhere other than our employee club and a nice little course in Dornoch Scotland. 

Index is now 6.6.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 02:55:21 PM by John Vander Borght »

Raymond Newberry

« Reply #142 on: January 10, 2003, 09:48:05 AM »
Hello everyone!

Jeesh, has it been three years since the original thread ? Time is wastin' away. Too many courses I haven't played and time and money is running out!

Raymond Newberry
Happy Valley, Oregon
Hdcp: 7 at my home course, 15 evrywhere else
Course: Columbia Edgewater

Took up the game 30 years ago but just got serious about playing decently in the last 5 years.
Born in Ohio, but spent most of my adult life in the Baltimore/Washington area and Houston. I lived at the Woodlands for about 10 years and have a real fondness for that area.
I've been lucky enough to play in Scotland and Ireland along with many of the great "public invited" courses in the States. My favorites in no particular order include Cypress and Pebble,
Dornoch, Cruden Bay, TOC, Royal County Down, Tralee, Portrush, Cabo del Sol, Kapalua, and Harbour Town. I'm lucky to have 2 of the worlds best right here in my own back yard, Pacific and Bandon Dunes. I've been there on a number of occasions. I'm sure I've left off a few but the memory gets worse every day.
I love to lurk here often but my architecture knowledge isn't where it needs to be to be much of a contributor but thanks to all of you who have given me a start. Keep up the good work and if you're ever in my vicinity shoot me an E-mail.

texsport

« Reply #143 on: January 10, 2003, 12:22:24 PM »

Hey Texsport, I thought I was the oldest guy (maybe second to Track) who visits Bombsquadgolf.... ;D  My handle over there and other equip sites is carrera.  But I'm one of the few that doesn't hit a PW from 150.  :P

Thanks so much for reminding me, that, as my tee shots get shorter and my never existant putting stroke deteriorates even further-I'm the oldest guy in this internet world.

Texsport

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:01 PM by -1 »

Jim Sweeney

« Reply #144 on: January 10, 2003, 03:01:15 PM »
James E. Sweeney
Crescent Springs, KY (greater Cinci. - go Reds!)
Hdcp: 0

Golf activity: KY. Golf Associaition Board, Larry Gilbert Foundation (for jr. golf) Board, USGA Mid-Am Committee

Formerly Exec. Dir. of Sun Country and Connecticut Golf Associations, and a USGA Regional Manager. Currently brokerage manager at New England Financial.

Golf age:36. Learned to play at CC of Waterbury in CT. University of New Mexico Golf Team 1980-83. Currently home course is Kearney Hill Golf Links in Lexington, KY, (Pete and PB Dye, 1990). Courses I have played and would love to play every day: Fisher's Island, Crystal Downs, SF Golf, Yale, Somerset Hills, and NGL.

Unfortunately no experience across the pond yet, and with my daughetrs lined up for college over the next 8 years, it may be a while.

I've enjoyed reading the postings and promise to jump in only when  I have something constructive to add, which probably won't be very often. Nice meeting you all!

"Hope and fear, hope and Fear, that's what people see when they play golf. Not me. I only see happiness."

" Two things I beleive in: good shoes and a good car. Alligator shoes and a Cadillac."

Moe Norman

Jeff Shelman

« Reply #145 on: January 10, 2003, 03:39:19 PM »
I was recently pointed toward this site by a co-worker and I've found it both interesting and a great way to kill time when I'm supposed to be working  ;D

Name: Jeff Shelman
Home: Minneapolis
Handicap: 3.4 was the last index, though I struggle to play to it.
Occupation: Sports writer at the Minneapolis Star Tribune. I cover mainly college basketball, but will do a bit of golf in the summer.

I started playing golf when I was young, riding my bike to a 9-hole course in my hometown and it's been an addiction ever since. I currently play most of my rounds at Mendakota Country Club, a private club in the Twin Cities suburbs. With my job I travel a ton and have lived in a number of places. Before moving back to Minnesota (where I grew up) I lived in Raleigh, NC and played at Raleigh CC, the last Ross-designed course. While I had architects and styles that I enjoyed more than others before that, living in Raleigh and playing RCC and places in the Pinehurst area made me much more interested in it.

Not surprisingly I'm a sucker for Ross courses (I played the wonderful Northland CC in Duluth, Minn. this summer for the first time and loved it). I like the strategy and the classic design and the compactness of his routings. But I also like some of the modern designers and courses.

Five favorite courses I've actually played (in alphabetical order):

Camargo Club
Interlachen CC
Minneapolis GC
Muirfield Village
Pinehurst No. 2

The next five:
Hazeltine National (where I worked in college)
Minikahda Club
Northland CC
Oak Ridge GC
Raleigh CC

Feel free to message me or e-mail me if you're going to be in the Minnesota area. I can certainly give you ideas on where to play (or, more importantly, where to avoid) and I might even have time to play.

Jeff

Pete_Pittock

Who Are You Guys(revisited)?
« Reply #146 on: March 06, 2003, 04:22:10 PM »
Peter Pittock
74 years old. Single, no kids. Graduate of Oregon State University. Always lived in Portland, Oregon. Retired from 28 years with Portland Police taking and looking at fingerprints. Was a posse member at Sagebrush in Quilchena, BC until it closed. Usual trip was a 1 day drive up, double rounds each day, then the one day drive back, about three or four times a year. Previous was member at Tualatin CC for 23 years, left the year after it experienced back to back 100 year floods, hasn't flooded since . Business card reads  "Had game, will travel."

Handicap has inched up to 13.3, but had to keep moving forward. Relegated to riding a golf cart. Closed the rules book for officiating at the end ov 2019 after 28 years of volunteering with the Oregon Golf Association . Started golfing with my father when I was about five, then he dropped membership at Portland GC when I was old enough to join him on Sunday afternoon. First extended golf trip was 1975 when dad and I went to Scotland and have loved links golf ever since. Also found out it was easier getting on good GB&I courses than in the states. Now know that also applies to Australia. At least ten overseas trips. Played about half of the world top 100.

Have about 38 shelf feet of golf books, including first editions . Collect logo golf balls (400+). Wear logo golf shirts everywhere and don't feel ashamed Long time participant in the King's Putter, and have enjoyed many other GCA outings in MI, BC, NC, GA. VA, FL.

Worst golf related decision: In 1975, passed up a chance to get on the waiting list to become a patron (two tickets) for the Masters. Would have vested about 1995.

Was a member at Tualatin CC 1975-1997. Then moved to Reserve Vineyards &GC (back to back 100 yr floods at Tualatin) and am still a member. This morning put in an application at Astoria G&CC (The St Andrews of the Pacific), which is more relatable as the Prestwick of the Pacific.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2019, 06:47:51 PM by Pete_Pittock »

John Nixon

« Reply #147 on: March 06, 2003, 08:25:56 PM »
John Nixon
Family: Wife and 3 kids (18, 15 and 7)
Live: Carmel, Indiana
H'cap: 16ish

Not a prolific poster, usually keep up on what's going on around here.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 04:26:06 PM by John Nixon »

Jeff_Lewis

« Reply #148 on: March 07, 2003, 08:58:24 AM »
Jeff Lewis
index: 6.0 ( and going up every month)

I expect to complete the GOLF world list sometime in the next two years. 5 to go.

Very happy that GCA DG is going to return to the wonderfully civil tone and constructive dialogue that we had several years ago.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2003, 01:29:11 PM by Jeff_Lewis »

Carlos_Febres

« Reply #149 on: March 07, 2003, 09:58:18 AM »
Strange- I feel like I'm bearing my soul here, but sensibility tells me it's really not a big deal.  Anyway, here you go.  

Name: Carlos Febres
Born: Caracas, Venezuela
Raised: Ft. Washington (Philadelphia), PA
Current Residence: North Palm Beach, FL
Education: BS Landscape Architecture, University of Maryland

Occupation:  I will reveal that I work in the golf course design business, but I won't say for whom.  (Anonymity in this respect will protect me from your respective claws, admonishments, and accountability.) ;)  

I will say that the most interesting thing about me is that I owe a tremendous debt to the game of golf and the J. Wood Platt Caddie Scholarship Trust.  Those of you from Philly may understand how important the Trust is, so please contribute!!!  I have caddied at length at Manufacturer's G&CC, Galloway National GC, Congressional CC, Caves Valley GC, and most recently Merion GC.  I was pleased to see that all five fell into the GOLFWEEK rankings last week.  I would love to hear from or play with any of you, so be in touch!!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back