News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Robert "Cliff" Stanfield

Re: Who Are You Guys(revisited)?
« Reply #50 on: April 26, 2002, 12:12:58 PM »
R. Cliff Stanfield
Home: Don't really have one but I call Americus, Georgia home because of family....currently reside in Edinburgh, Scotland
Email: rcstanfield@hotmail.com

Graduated from Auburn University with a Landscape Architecture Degree.  Started with Landscapes Unlimited in Georgia at Hawks Ridge Course-Cupp and Hampton Village-Johnston.  Moved on to work for the late Arhtur Davis, ASGCA at nights and construction during day.  Later worked for Cupp Design and moved to Birmingham to project manage for Glen Day-Alan Blalock....then decided that I needed more design knowledge and packed up for Scotland MSC Golf Architecture Program at Edinburgh College of Art.  Before leaving I worked the summer with Love Enterprises and enjoyed living on the island before coming to the windy cold island of Scotland.  Best decision I have ever made!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:04 PM by -1 »

Joe Hancock

« Reply #51 on: April 26, 2002, 02:38:14 PM »
Joe Hancock
Home: Grand Rapids, Michigan
Email: jhancock42@attbi.com

I'm back at Grand Island GC in Belmont, MI after developing my career in both NC and Northern MI. Active in local GCSAA chapter, and busy making changes on my own course(always!). From the Shameless Name Dropping Dept.: Grew up spending summers with Mike DeVries chasing crawdads in Crystal Lake(Crystal Downs) as our family cottages were 2 doors down. Mike and I still keep in touch and we played golf with Steve Smyers in February at Southern Dunes(Smyers kicked our butts). Also, early in my career, I was asked to spend a couple days with a photographer working for Pete Dye, while I was an Irrigation Tech at Landfall Club, NC. He was asking a lot of questions about fescues being used on putting surfaces in Northern MI., apparently one of his first solo designs. I'm sure Mr. Doak doesn't remember me, but I remember thinking it could be a big break for me as a Super to rub shoulders with such a young talent.

As I grow older and still loving the game, I find my desire to understand more and more keeps growing. Thanks Mike, for showing me this site and doing some wonderful design work right here in my own back yard so to speak.

Joe
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Brad Swanson

« Reply #52 on: April 27, 2002, 12:06:40 AM »
My first post to the forums (I've been lurking for awhile)

Name:  Brad Swanson
Residence:  Denver, CO
Profession:  Postdoctoral Research Fellow
Education:  B.S. Biochemistry, Iowa State University
                Ph.D. Cellular and Molecular Biology, U of  
                Wisconsin-Madison
Started playing:  8 yrs old.  

Played for Iowa State for a year.  2001 Club Champion at Green Valley Ranch GC, Denver (not much to brag about)  current handicap 3-4.

I was seriously interested in golf course architecture all the way back to my high school years in little Ottumwa, IA.  I grew up playing maybe one of the worst courses anyone on this forum has ever played.  No range, no pro, hence I'm self-taught.  The course that really sparked my interest in golf course architecture was the TPC at Sawgrass back in the mid 80s.  My background growing up only allowed me to experience these and other great courses either in print or on TV.  I've come to appreciate courses designed by Ross, MacKenzie, Flynn, Wilson, Maxwell, etc., but in all honesty, have only played a couple of courses designed by these architects (Bendelow/Ross Lakewood CC in Lakewood CO and Perry Maxwell's Veenker Memorial at ISU) mainly due to financial reasons  :-* (Ph.D scientists are highly underpaid, especially as graduate students and postdocs).  Luckily the universities I attended had nice courses associated with them (ISU's Veenker Memorial was a Perry Maxwell design that's been sliced and diced into disrepair, and University Ridge in Madsion/Verona cost a whopping $17 for a round as a grad student  :).  To be completely honest, I find the # of people here that are members of outstanding clubs to be somewhat intimidating, considering by background as a muni-rat, but I'll try to get my 2 cents in now that I've officially registered.  

Any members in the Denver metro area (either residing or visiting), I'd love to arrange a round and talk golf and golf courses, anytime.

Brad Swanson
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:04 PM by -1 »

ian

« Reply #53 on: April 27, 2002, 05:27:42 PM »
Ian Andrew
Born in England, Living in Toronto, Ontario

Golf Architect with Carrick Design for last 12 years
I try to stick to renovations mainly
Currently working with: Capilano, St. Georges, Rosedale
Hcp. 13, my kids will always keep my rounds below 20 (for now)

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:12 PM by -1 »

Larry Rodgers

« Reply #54 on: April 27, 2002, 07:10:32 PM »
Name: Larry Rodgers
Handicap: 19
Home courses: Bear Creek, Golden, CO
                     Fox Hollow, Lakewood, CO

I have been monitoring and enjoying the posts and many times very reluctant to comment on some of the subjects. Current public projects can be found at LRDG1.com and can be downloaded for those in search of irrigation designs.
Other notable current projects include "La Reve" Las Vegas, "Jerry S. Rawls Red Raider golf course" Lubbock, "The Yellowstone Club", Big Sky and "Talking Rock", Prescott.

I truly am a golf architecture junkie and am amazed at the boundaries that are being explored today by the deasign professionals many of you post. I can say that Mr. Doak and his staff are creating one of the most unique projects I have ever seen in Lubbock. This course is sooo good that I will not let my staff do the site visits unless I am out of the country. I consider it an honor to have been selected on this project and all who are reading this need to put Lubbock Texas on your travel schedule early next year, Late May/June should be perfect for the bermuda to becoming alive.

Thank-you again for all of the good posts, when I can I will make every effort to post as appropriate.

Larry Rodgers

Paul Daley

« Reply #55 on: April 27, 2002, 09:22:00 PM »
Paul Daley: Left the pharmaceutical industry after 20 years of flogging pills for Wyeth (American Home Products) in Melbourne, Australia.

Nowadays, life revolves around being happily married to Penne, doing a little golf writing and publishing, plus rolling around the carpet with 'Pepper' and 'Heidi' - our two miniature Schnauzer's to take my mind of bouts of 3-putting.

Member of Huntingdale, Yarram, and the National (Cape Schanck) golf clubs. H'cap: 5

I enjoy plugging in to GCA, and reading how golf enthusiasts from all over the globe view their favourite pastime.

My favourite Australian courses: Royal Melbourne (West), Kingston Heath, New South Wales, Newcastle (Stockton),
and Royal Adelaide.

Email: fswing@bigpond.net.au

Looking forward most to my 1st game at:
(1) Cypress Point (2) Woodhall Spa (3) Pine Valley

Congratulation to the Morrissett family for setting this website up and inspiring much discussion. At the end of the day, anything that distracts from the harsh realities of life is a good thing. Golf is not really 'life and death' ... but lets not tell anyone!

Jason, you have joined a Sandbelt club: one that just so happens to be among the most under-rated of them all.

Donnie Beck

« Reply #56 on: April 28, 2002, 09:06:43 AM »
Donnie Beck
Home: Fishers Island, NY
Email fisupt@hotmail.com

I got started in the golf business in the spring of 1987. The superintendent of a local public course asked if anyone on the high school golf team wanted a summer job. At the time I had no idea of what I wanted to do, but $7 hr and free golf sure sounded better than flipping burgers or working in the mall for the summer. I worked as the starter on the 1st tee evenings and weekends (it is amazing what you see watching that many people tee it up on a public track, but that is another story). Once school finished I moved over to the grounds crew and this is were I found my real calling. I worked for Superintendent John Allen, and if it wasn’t for him I know I wouldn’t be where I am now.  I continued working for John while going to a local JR college. After a few years I was offered the assistant superintendent position. We worked for New England Golf Corporation, which managed 4 courses at the time. It was a great opportunity because I got to go from course to course whenever they had any big projects going on. I continued working for them for about 5 years until I decided to go back to school. I ended up at Grayson College a small turf school in TX. The reason I choose there was after a few scholarships and pell grants I went to school for free. My time down there was great. I got to see another part of the country and our school wasn’t too far from the Dallas/Ft Worth area, so we took many field trips to courses in that area. While I was there I worked part time on the school’s golf course, and worked for a short time at New London Country Club when I was back home in Connecticut in the summer. Once I graduated from Grayson I ended up where I am now The Fishers Island Club. I worked 6 years as the assistant superintendent, and I am now starting my 3rd year as superintendent. You can usually find me on here looking around a few days a week.

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #57 on: April 28, 2002, 07:51:15 PM »
Home: I live in the sleepy hamlet of Burlingame, California in an old Spanish split-level with wife Amy, 4-year old twins Nicky and Katie, three cats and a mentally retarded golden retriever who thinks he is a cat.

Why Fred?: The reason for Fred Flintstone is that my kids insist I resemble him - which I'm hoping only means they watch too much television.

Occupation: I'm president of an international agriculture commodities marketing firm and the subject of a government study on the long range effect of nepotism in the workplace.  

Occupation Part #2: Another idiot stupid enough to invest in, help design and serve on the board of a B-to-B Internet company. . . . 3 years later we are still going.

Occupation Part #3: Somehow, in 1994 I managed to convince an otherwise saavy managing editor of a 108 year old newspaper to actually pay me for a weekly rant about golf. My views are a bit much for the looney-leftist culture of the Bay Area, but my wife has agreed to let me continue until the hate mail turns into credible death threats.

Occupation Part #4: George Bahto's editor, valet and president of his fan club. Buy our book "The Evangelist of Golf" on August 1st or else.

Occupation Part #5: Neal Meagher's side-kick in which we are currently interviewing for design jobs. He brings years of experience and membership in the ASGCA. I channel the ghost of Seth Raynor and suggest where to put the Principal's Nose.

Occupation Part #6: (Unpaid activity?) GolfWeek panelist. Tommy Naccarato is on my telephone speed-dial. We both need help . . . . paging Dr. Katz. There is no point in mentioning coaching golf at my high school alma mater, we failed to advance to sectionals last Thursday by one shot. If the coach was worth a damn, we would have smoked them like a chimney.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 01:38:23 AM by Gib Papazian »

Brad Tufts

« Reply #58 on: April 30, 2002, 06:08:19 PM »
name:  Brad Tufts
attended: Marblehead HS '99, Middlebury College '03
club:  Tedesco Country Club
handicap:  0
Married to fellow Midd grad Laura, no kids so far.

What should you know?  Golf Digest Panelist, wrote my senior history thesis on American Golf Course Architecture.  Lover of the Golden Age, Ross especially, and the hidden gem.  Collector of vintage scorecards (I have about 2500 stymie-era cards).  Tournament player, have made match play in the Mass Amateur in 2005, 2009 and 2010, winner of two club championships (and runner-up in 4 others, dammit).  I've played over 550 courses in several countries and half of our states, and I'm always looking to add some more.  Introduced at least three others to GCA at my insistence...Ryan Simper, Mitch St. Peter, and my brother Roger.

Please ask if you are passing through Boston and you want golf venue advice, a round at Tedesco, or to know if you are getting hosed on the price of Red Sox tickets!

I would also like to come back in a future life as John Mayhugh.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 01:51:01 PM by Brad Tufts »
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

K.Hegland

« Reply #59 on: April 30, 2002, 07:24:44 PM »
Kyle Hegland
Student
Graduated from Michigan State's Turf Program
Currently waiting for school to start at the University of Arkansas, more turf.

I've been on this website for a little over a year now, I love it.  I had the misfortune of having Tony Nysse as my roomate at Michigan State ;D.  Many a good golf architecture discussion was inspired in that apt.  I'm the one who's always bragging up Austin Golf Club and Crystal Downs.  I worked at Austin Golf Club last summer, for Doug Petersan.  One of my best friends is the foreman up at the "Downs" so I've had the privilege of seeing that place a ton, in all seasons and all conditions, I get giddy just thinking about that place.  I'm currently in the golf architecture "hotbed" (thats sarcasm) of NW Arkansas, while I attend some more school, I love to hear what everyone has to say on this website.  I look forward to future endevers on this site. ;D

Craig Rokke

« Reply #60 on: April 30, 2002, 08:07:28 PM »
I'm not sure if I responded to the first installment.....

Craig Rokke
cjroks@aol.com
West Chester, PA.
2 kids:Shane (20 mo.)and Ella(1 mo.) golf time is dwindling!
Went to Gettysburg Coll., w/ a short grad school stint
@Villanova.
Own Equipment/Party rental company

Unaffiliated club-wise, but wouldn't be adverse to changing that some day. Have played about 175 courses, sometimes breaking 80, sometimes flirting with the century mark. Depends what day of the week it is, I guess. Hope to have the opportunity to hook up w/ some of you this year.

cbgolfweek

« Reply #61 on: May 01, 2002, 05:51:41 AM »
Chris Brewer - 32
Springfield, MO.

This is my second post and my first "registered" post.  Brad Klein has told me about this site many times, but I'm glad I've finally landed.

I've been playing this game for 21 years.  I was a PGA member for a few years and got the mini-tour bug out of my system early.  I tired of standing in pro shop's waiting for the phone to ring, arranging clothing and clubs or being the unofficial suggestion box, so I left the PGA in 1993 for a wife and a life.

I thought I always wanted to work for Golfweek, but as fate should have it, I landed a job three years ago for a start-up called Golfweek's Superintendent News.  It's been great to learn the golf course maintenance and architecture side of the game.  I still find it amazing how little most club professionals (including myself at one time) know about golf course architecture or maintenance.  As a rater for Golfweek's Top 100 Golf Courses, I find it amazing that once I begin talking golf course architecture with most PGA club professionals, their eyes begin to glaze over.

I have a wife, two children including a two year old who hits balls with me on a regular basis (no Tiger aspirations here).

First Golf Course Played: Huntington Park, Shreveport LA.
Last Golf Course Played: Falcon Ridge, Olathe, KS
Last Golf Course Rated: Hazeltine National
Current Golf Book: Brad's Donald Ross book...love it!

Looking forward to posting!
Chris

LBJ

« Reply #62 on: May 01, 2002, 03:50:06 PM »
Rod Johnson
Golf Course Superintendent
Pine Hills Country Club
Sheboygan, Wisconsin

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #63 on: May 01, 2002, 04:50:57 PM »
name: Peter Lavallee
residence: San Diego, Ca.
hobbies: golf, homebrewing, cooking (in that order)

Was born and bred in New Bedford, Mass., the home of the Titleist. Started playing golf on the local Muni. which was half Ross (we always knew the older holes were better, we just didn't "get it" at the time). Worked as a Field Engineer for Sperry Corp. for 11 years, which gave me the opportunity to travel extensively and play at Bethpage whenever I was at their Long Island headquarters. Married a beautiful English girl, Janice Sullivan, in 1986, with the condition that she consent to a golfing honeymoon in Scotland. Also lived in England for 6 months in 1989, which gave us the opportunity to play many of the UK's best. Settled in San Diego in 1990. Took up cooking as a hobby to fight the boredom of a long cold winter while stationed in Sturgeon Bay Wisc.. Started homebrewing with the kit my wife gave me for a Valentines gift in 1993. We also collect golf art as a way of commemorating the events and places we've traveled to (1989 Brit. Open, 1988, 1992, 2002 US Open, ect.).
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Art_Schaupeter

« Reply #64 on: May 02, 2002, 10:21:29 PM »
name:  Art Schaupeter
hometown:  St. Louis, Missouri
occupation:  Golf Course Architect (member of the American Society of Golf Course Architects)
email:  Schaupetergolf@aol.com

I have been a periodic visitor for the past few months.  I was reluctant to get involved because I didn't visit frequently enough to stay current, though I think that there is a wonderful exchange of thoughts and ideas on a diversity of subjects.  I am equally afraid of getting involved and not being able to step away.  When I have visited the site it has taken me awhile to leave.  There is a lot of interesting stuff here.

As for who I am, I am a practicing architect based in St. Louis.  I was Keith Foster's lead associate for nine years.  I started my own firm in 1998, though I continued to work with Keith on a few select projects.  Consider myself to be very fortunate to have worked with Keith.  He had a very good understanding of historical architecture, and he immediately turned my focus that way when he hired me in January 1992.  

I was the lead architect for Keith on Buffalo Run, Haymaker, Texas Star, The Bandit, Gateway National, Persimmon Woods, D'Andrea Ranch and Coral Canyon.  Extensively involved in all other projects through 1999 (the advantage of working for a small firm).  

Currently working on a new 18 hole daily fee course in Windsor, Colorado (construction to begin in June).  Just finished my second solo design in the San Antonio area, The Republic, which will open this summer.  My first solo design was The Buckhorn, north of San Antonio, which opened in 2000.  A neat project as the owners, upon hiring me, proclaimed that they wanted to build a truly affordable ($25 green fee) daily fee golf course that didn't cut corners on the design quality.  A great experience to go through.  Would love to hear any feedback, positive or otherwise.

I am somewhat new to the computer and using it on a daily basis, but now that I have broken the ice, I will try to visit and contribute on a regular basis.

Brian_Belden

« Reply #65 on: May 03, 2002, 08:20:36 AM »
Brian Belden
Wife: Joanna
Daughter: 14 months old (Blake)

I've been playing golf since i can remember. I was raised on a Donald Ross course built in 1922 that i could walk to everyday. I'm still a member. The course is potentially going to take on a nice restoration project this fall. Restoration is being done by Brian Silva. Played college golf at the University of Akron. Fortunately our home course was Firestone C. C. Then wen't on a stint playing the mini tours for a few years. Got my amateur status back last summer after a nice three year layoff from tournament golf. Got interested in architecture a few years back. Now working for the family business of which I'm fifth generation. We are a brick manufacturing company in Canton, Ohio.

JAMIE_BLACK

« Reply #66 on: May 03, 2002, 09:24:03 AM »
;)

NAME: JAMIE BLACK
STUDENT
GLASGOW, SCOTLAND
BODGEBLACK@HTMAIL.COM

I AM CURRENTLY LIVING IN ORLANDO, FLORIDA.  I AM ON A ONE YEAR INTERNSHIP W/ LANDSCAPE ARCHITECT PAUL VERLANDER.  

I HAVE COMPLETED MY BA (Hons) IN LANDSCAPE ARCHITECTURE AND I HAVE ALSO COMPLETED THE EUROPEAN INSTITUTE OF GOLF COURSE ARCHITECTS DIPLOMA COURSE IN GOLF COURSE ARCHITECTURE. (EXCERPTS OF MY DISSERTATION CAN BE SEEN AT "IN MY OPINION" SECTION OF THIS WEBSITE)

IF YOU CAN RECOMMEND COURSES IN THE CENTRAL FLORIDA REGION TO PLAY IT WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED OR WHEN I RETURN TO SCOTLAND IN JULY AND YOU NEED A HELP WITH YOUR WEST COAST GOLFING TAVELS I WOULD BE MORE THAN HAPPY TO HELP OUT.

D_Barton

« Reply #67 on: May 03, 2002, 02:15:14 PM »
Doug Barton
43 years old
Married w/ 4 children
Annapolis MD

I am new to this site having been introduced by Michael Thomas when we were in Tryall last week. I am not very familiar with this type of communication, but I have enjoyed the banter. I have worked for the last 20 years at Landmark Land Co/Landmark National. We are a golf oriented community development company that has been fortunate enough to work on some interesting sites with some very talented people. The old Landmark Land first developed Oak Tree Golf Club in Okla. City and then went on to develop properties such as La Quinta, PGA West, the Ocean Course at Kiawah Island and many others. After the U.S. government destroyed the company because of its involvement in the S&L business, a number of us stuck together and started up a new company in the same business, Landmark National.  Landmark National has developed 5 new courses including a 36 hole Pete Dye facility in Simi Valley, CA, Lost Canyons Golf Club and, in association with the developers of Kiawah Island, Doonbeg Golf Club in County Clare Ireland. We are very proud of both of these projects. I think that in time they will be considered two of the greatest golf facilities built in my lifetime. For the last 5 years, I have worked almost exclusively on the Doonbeg project. My responsibilities now are centered on getting Landmark involved in golf in Europe. All in all we have developed approximately 40 courses, probably 20 of them with Pete Dye. It has been a fun, interesting business.
I was raised in Okla. City, growing up working on the maintenance crew building Oak Tree. I had the good golfing fortune to live in Carmel Ca for 10 years and Columbus Ohio for 7 years, the two best golfing venues in America.
I’m not sure how regularly I will be posting but I sure have enjoyed reading everyone’s comments.

Frank Pasquale

« Reply #68 on: May 03, 2002, 08:24:32 PM »
Frank Pasquale
Hometown: Ronkonkoma, NY
Home Course: Spring Lake GC (Middle Island, NY)
Handicap: 1

I really enjoy this site, I have learned quite a bit .  Would be interested in GCA outing, and meeting some of the people on here.

If anyone could offer some advice on the southwest of Ireland, I would appreciate it, since I am planning a trip there for late July.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #69 on: May 04, 2002, 05:19:14 PM »
Residence and Business: Arlington, Texas

Occupation: Practicing Golf Course Architect (maybe if I practice enough, I will finally get one right) and member of ASGCA, served as President in 1995-6.  Notable (?) courses include Cowboys (TX), Colbert Hills (KS), Giant's Ridge (MN), Champions (NB), Wild Wing (SC), Wild Horse (CA) and about 35 others.  Started career in 1977 with Killian and Nugent in Chicago (where I grew up) at Kemper Lakes, and started my own business in 1984.

Currently working on the Quarry Course at Giants Ridge, The Wilderness (es) - one at Fortune Bay in Minnesota, and one in South Texas - when I felt sure the Texas one was dead in the water, I suggested the name to the other) D'OH!, a renovation of Indian Creek Golf course near Dallas, and the usual number of consulting projects in various places.

Home Club: Great Southwest- famous as the stomping grounds of Lou Duran, Brookhaven, and Brookstone (near Atlanta) all designed or redesigned by me.  I also play many of the public courses around town I have designed.  The obvious connection here is that I don't pay for golf very often!

Handicap: A "Texas" 12 (everything is bigger in Texas) Back tees, bottom of the cup, and usually fairways are just a rumor whenever I play.

Marital/Family Status: Married 18 years, three kids (the boy is a golfer, and getting quite good) and Pembroke Welsh Corgi.

Other: Avid Dallas Stars fan ( :( no playoffs this year) and model railroader (still creating landscapes - in miniature - on my off time)

I found Golf Club Atlas through Ron Whitten, who told me how he was being thoroughy criticized for something or other he wrote, and I wondered what the fuss was about!  I became hooked, as I love to think and discuss golf architecture.  I also need the typing practice.....

I have been appointed infomally to the ASGCA "give the internet guys hell (if they deserve it) committee in perpetuity......hopefully I contribute a real world perspective from time to time......
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Jason Hines

« Reply #70 on: May 04, 2002, 06:08:27 PM »
Jason Hines
Olathe, KS
Married, 2 sons
Handicap: 13
Education: BA-Kansas U. BS-Texas A&M. MBA-Creighton U.
Member: Shadow Glen GC

Started reading GCA when looking for information on the golf courses being built in the sandhills of Nebraska.  Enjoy the brotherhood and tradition of the game and really appreciate the minimalism and solitude of playing quiet courses.  Dislike idiots in tank tops, high green fees for crappy courses and people who try and look better than they play.

Favorite Courses: Wild Horse, Gothenburg NE, Sand Hills Golf Club, Mullen, NE, Tierra Verde, Arlington TX, Luana Hills CC, Kailua HI and Keilir Golf Club, Hafnarfjordur Iceland
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 10:15:25 PM by Jason Hines »

Damian

« Reply #71 on: May 08, 2002, 09:30:25 PM »
Name:-   Damian Donovan
Home:-  Narre Warren Victoria Australia
Married to Nicole, first child due to be born in August 2002
Home course:-  Ranfurlie
Handicap:-  8

Played most of my golf from age 12 to 28 at a public golf course in Frankston (Centenary Park), probably one the longest public golf courses around at about 6,200m+. Most of the greens are postage stamps as well. Since then, have been a member at Amstel. Currently playing off the lowest mark I have ever had (exact = 7.9), though still only play once a week (Saturday), maybe less post-August!!

Scott_C

« Reply #72 on: May 08, 2002, 11:51:17 PM »

Scott Curran
scottc@inreach.com
Married to wife Monica, no children yet.  
Handicap: 7 (lack of play keeps number low, can't post, can't go up, right?)
Handicap with Tracy Golf & Country Club (play several courses in my area).  

My father got me started by taking lessons in Manteca, CA when I was 9 years old.  Played my first round at age 10 and have been hooked ever since.  I in turn got my father to start playing when he was in his 50's  and he has been playing regularly ever since.  

Favorite local  courses to play: Tracy Golf and CC, Stevenson Ranch, Diablo Grande, Wente Vineyards, Poppy Ridge, Stockton G&CC, Elkhorn CC, Brookside CC, Discovery Bay.

Career best score: 70 (-2) at Tracy G&CC A LONG TIME AGO!

Love the site and reading others opinions.  I'm an extreme novice at golf architecture, but look forward to reading the opinons of others.  

Scott

Mike Leveille

« Reply #73 on: May 09, 2002, 05:57:57 AM »

Mike Leveille
Atlanta, GA
Married with 2 Year Old and 7 Month Old Daughters
Finance Attorney
michael.leveille@troutmansanders.com

Started playing golf as a kid at Santa Maria CC in California.  My memory is that it is a wonderful course, with a great junior golf program - hopefully that has not changed.

Currently live and play at Laurel Springs GC north of Atlanta.  Definitely a "built around the houses" course, and designed by Nicklaus :(, but I have a two minute walk to the first tee and it allows me to get out and play a little even though I have two young daughters.

I have recently become much more interested in golf course architecture and started lurking on this site a month ago.  I have enjoyed the site immensely and feel like I have already learned quite a bit from the thoughtful discussions.

Greg Mitchells

« Reply #74 on: May 09, 2002, 09:15:25 AM »
Name: (not real) Greg Mitchells
Home:  on the road in my gas-guzzling SUV

I work for an architect (lurker) frequently discussed on this site.  My duties range from design work to on-site representative and I am currently overseeing a couple of 18 hole projects.

I was turned on to golf through my grandfather(which might explain my abbreviated back swing) but was always more interested in the course than in my game.  Knew from early on that I wanted to be in this profession and through the proper education, invaluable experience and some good luck have been fortunate enough to have begun my journey.

I enjoy this site and the dedication of its members.  It is a great forum for any devotee of golf course architecture.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back