News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

George Pazin

Who Are You Guys(revisited)?
« on: December 04, 2001, 06:22:16 AM »
With the new format & Ran's mention of 211 participants registered, it seems to me to be a good time to do a new version of this classic thread, rather than wait for the old one to be reformatted.

I'd especially love to see more info from those out there in the biz - the old thread was awesome, but a few of the notable posters seemed reluctant to shed some light on their backgrounds.

---------

My info:

George Pazin
Home: Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Email: sunflowr@usaor.net

Just started playing the game about 5 years ago - always wanted to, felt I couldn't afford it, both time & money-wise. Was right on both accounts, but that didn't stop me. Got interested in golf course architecture after reading Geoff Shackelford's The Captain. Came across this site after doing a search on Mike Strantz some 20 months ago. Like many esteemed posters before & after me, became hopelessly addicted.

One piece of advice: Get out there, meet fellow posters, play some golf with them, & sit down & have a few drinks or lunch with them. The outing at Inniscrone/Applebrook, followed the next day with a wonderful round at Lehigh with Ray Cross & John the Super(sorry, I'm blanking on his last name), & lunch with Ran, John, Mark Fine & the empassioned Pat Mucci ranks right up there with other memorable experiences from my life.

If you're ever in the 'Burgh, please don't hesitate to email or call (412-369-7769 work - I'm usually there) - I'd love to play a round or grab a beer.

-----

UPDATE:

Damn, it's been a fun and life-changing 9 years since the above post. Got married, have an amazing 6 year son, had my knee rebuilt - and I now I rarely play golf. :( I'm sure that will change shortly - that's what I keep telling myself, anyway. My email changed from above - tshirts@nauticom.net is your best bet now, but I'm still a (kind of pathetic) t shirt printer. Not much, but it's my baby.

Advice still holds, 9 years later: get out and meet your fellow posters. I'm happy to say I've met quite a few of the people on this thread, and many others who didn't post on here, and to a person, they've all been terrific. Can't wait till I get overseas and meet some of my friends across the pond and on the other side of the world.

:)
« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 01:12:50 PM by George Pazin »
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

George Pazin

Re: Who Are You Guys(revisited)?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2001, 06:27:01 AM »
P.S. Don't be mislead by the "Junior Member" thing - I think I'm currently the 43rd most prolific poster on the site for fiscal 2001. Hopefully no higher than that on the most annoying poster list, too.:)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Anthony_Nysse

Re: Who Are You Guys(revisited)? New
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2001, 07:00:14 AM »
My info:

Tony Nysse
E-mail: anthonynysse@yahoo.com
Home: Grand Rapids, MI

I am currently in the second of two years at Michigan State University's Turfgrass Management program. I'm a second generation (to be) turf manager with my dad being a super for the past 30 years. Been working on a golf course for the past 9 years. This past summer, I interned at @Friar's Head in Long Island, NY doing the bunker construction with Jeff Bradley and green contours with Mr. Coore. (Amazing Summer!! ;D ) I am a golf architecture guru. I am a huge fan of the Raynor's, MacDonald's, Tillinghaust's, Ross', Thomas' and of course, the Great Doctor. Because of my love for the old style, I loved working for C&C this past summer. Got to walk Shinnecock, Winged Foot(East and West) National, GCGC, Bethpage, The Creek, Westhampton CC, Engineers and of course Friar's Head this summer...you can't find a better collection in the world for golf courses than Long Island. Golf's Holy Grail!! I collect scorecards as a hobby and have some 900 different cards, many of which are profiled here. I played 4 years of varsity golf and currently play to a 2 handicap. Don't know what I'm going to do about the future....golf course construction VS maintenance.....opinions welcomed!!
« Last Edit: December 25, 2023, 07:04:56 AM by Anthony_Nysse »
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Peter_Herreid

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2001, 07:23:14 AM »
Good morning to all!
I've been lurking since finding this site while preparing for a trip to Crystal Downs in September.  I have really enjoyed the discussions and hope to start jumping in from time to time...

Peter Herreid
Hometown:  Bellevue, WA
E-mail:  bellevue4@hotmail.com

I have had the good fortune to play a lot at Stanford GC and Yale GC over the years, which is the foundation for my interest in the "Golden Age" of GCA.  Atlhough I live in Bellevue, I am a member of Pumpkin Ridge down in Portland, and would love to meet and "hit the links" with anyone venturing up to either Seattle or Portland (425-562-6230).

I would love to know how to post pictures from a KodakPicture CD, or from a floppy.  I've checked the help section, and searched responses for this, but so far, I can't find any info...

Thanks, Peter

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2001, 07:36:01 AM »
Welcome, Peter!

The first thing that needs to happen to post pictures on the web, is for those actual images to RESIDE somewhere on the web, i.e. your Yahoo Briefcase, file storage site, a server, etc.

Once those images are there, you can simply create a UBB link to these files, assuming you have the correct web address and filename.  What is UBB you ask?  I haven't the foggiest idea...but if you go to Google.Com and type in "UBB CODE EXPLAINED" in the search box, you will find some very easy instructions for including this special code in a post here on this website, and viola! ...your pictures will appear.

BTW...UBB code is used for posting images, file and sound links, and using things like BOLD and ITALICS...it is pretty cool stuff, and is just about universally accepted on discussion thread like the one used here at GCA.

Good luck!
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2001, 08:20:16 AM »
Peter,

Here is a try at UBB code...

To include an image, you simply put the put the UBB indicator in front of the URL link, which is a set of [] brakets and the phrase IMG located within...and then at the end you include the same tag, but put a / in front of IMG within the brackets.  Also, make sure there are NO SPACES between your URL and the UBB code tags.

Real image (hopfully):

Pretty cool, eh??  ;)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:09 PM by -1 »
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Ken_Cotner

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2001, 09:41:40 AM »
Ken Cotner
Home:  Charlotte, NC
Married, one daughter age 8 (going on 13)  :D >:(
email:  kcotner@sterling-capital.com

Golf taking a back seat to family and other stuff (Ran, just wait until McK is a couple years older!), but I have enjoyed learning and watching the battles on GCA.

Y'all give me a shout if you pass through NC.

KC

Steve Okula

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2001, 10:14:39 AM »
I'm originally from Bristol, CT, though I havent' lived there since 1975, when I left to study turf at the University of Maryland. I have since lived and worked in golf course maintenance and construction in Maryland, Florida, North Carolina, South Africa, Spain, Turkey, the Philippines, Portugal, and France, making me one of the more widely travelled supers. (Hey, I could never hold a job!) No one here ever heard of any of the courses I worked at. I am currently superintendent at a private, 36 hole club just outside of Paris. Golf de Joyenval was brilliantly conceived and splendidly executed by the late, great, Robert Trent Jones.

I have always been a crap golfer, and I hardly get out much anymore. I lurk here on a daily basis, but only post when I have something to say, which puts me in the minority on this site. (That's a joke, son).

I regret that I don't get to see more of the courses that are talked about here. If I did, I could make pithy and perceptively witty observations about them to make me feel clever.

Oh, and to Anthony Nysse  - You sound like a bright young lad, full of promise. So, look out, Here come some Free Advice! Don't throw your life away being a maintenance superintendent. Go into the construction end. It is eminently more rewarding, both creatively and financially. Get just enough maintenance experience to learn what you need to know, which is surface drainage, in a nutshell. You get that part right and your courses can't go wrong.

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2001, 10:34:18 AM »
Steve (Etienne, en Francais, n'est ce pas?),
     There are a lot of well-travelled golfers here, so list the courses you've worked at and we'll tell you if we've heard of them.  I think you'd be surprised how many people have heard of them.

John_D._Bernhardt

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2001, 11:22:55 AM »
John D. Bernhardt, age 48
P. O. Box 52309 Lafayette, Louisiana 70505
email jtiger@tcac.net

member Oakbourne Country Club, Lafayette, la  Dick Wilson
University Club in Baton Rouge, Jim Lipe

Occ: Oil and Gas Investments, Attorney, currently developing a golf course.

Loved and played the game since age 10. I really enjoy and have gained a great deal on knowlege from this site. It has been a pleasure to meet and play golf with many of the fine men(golfers) who are contributors to the site.

Steve O.

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2001, 12:27:37 PM »
To Scott Burroughs,

Je crois qu'il soit "Stephane".

But since you asked where I have worked, here are some obscure places.

Pequabuck Golf Club, Bristol, CT
Pinehurst Country Club, Pinehurst NC (OK, so that's a gimme, but it was only one summer while I was a student and a long time ago.)
Woodmont Country Club, Rockville MD
Lakewood Country Club, Rockville MD
Bardmoor Country Club, Largo FL.
Sapphire Lakes Country Club, Sapphire NC
Gary Player Design Co. Sandton South Africa, (under whose banner I was at: Lost City, Bophuthatswana, but only during surveying, routing, clearing site lines, that sort of thing, then  El Zaudin, Seville Spain and finally Alta Vista, Cebu City Philippines)
Antalya National Golf Club, Belek Turkey
Le Meridien Penina, Portimao Portugal
Golf Las Americas, Tenerife Spain
Golf de Joyennval, Chambourcy, France.

Jason_Henham

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2001, 01:51:41 PM »
Jason Henham
Home, Melbourne, Australia
E-mail: jasonh@mgandg.com.au

Like many service professions, accountants are required to keep daily records of their time, charging to clients accordingly. The problem for me is that our Admin Manager refuses to add GolfClubAtlas as a charge code and my productivity is suffering!

I've been lucky enough to play all but a couple of Melbourne's sand belt courses and although RM West would be the best, Kingston Heath is my favourite.

I'm also fortunate enough to be working in Washington, DC for three months early 2002, followed by a couple of weeks travel through Nj, NY, and New England late April, and a further 2 weeks in California early May. I sincerely hope that I get the chance to meet and play with some of the regulars here.

I'm a member at one of Melbourne sand belt courses (I can say that now can't I Paul Daley?), Long Island Country Club, so when you make the trip down under, be sure to let me know. You're all most welcome.

Jason

John_Conley

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2001, 08:04:36 PM »
Some of you know me, and can attest that the rest of you probably don't want to.   :)

Here's my thumbnail bio:
John W. Conley, Jr.
Born 3/25/68
Graduate of Edina (MN) High School (1986), University of Minnesota (1990), and the Crummer Graduate School at Rollins College (1994).

Moved to Orlando to attend b-school and stayed.  Married Dana 4 1/2 years ago, son Jack (JWC, III.) due in January.
Attended college on the Chick Evans Scholarship, earned in part from my years caddying ("He isn't a member, Grandma.  He's a caaaaah-deee.") at Interlachen CC, where Bill Kidd was always so good to me - even when he had reason not to be!!

Unattached, in what is easily one of the best cities to be unattached in.  I've played 101 courses within an hour of my home in the last 9 years and many more around Florida.

Being the low qualifier at my site (Deer Run, Victoria) should have been the springboard of my competitive golf career, but my competing in the 1991 Minnesota Amateur at Seth Raynor-designed Minnesota Valley is unfortunately the highlight.  81-85=MC.

Coming to O-town?  Let me know.

Chris Kane

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2001, 09:47:35 PM »
I'm Chris Kane, 17yrs old (youngest on GCA?), from Melbourne, Australia.  In my final year of school.

I'd like to think I'll be off single figures in the near future.

Favourite Course is Royal Melbourne West, with everything else at least ten lengths behind.  

In a few years time, I hope to take a break from study and travel to Europe, playing the courses of GB & Ireland while I'm there.  Until I do that, my education won't be complete.

If I had one round of golf left, I'd be at Cypress Point in a flash.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:09 PM by -1 »

Bradley Anderson

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2001, 03:44:53 PM »
Name: Bradley Anderson
Club: Midlane Country Club
Address: Wadsworth, Illinois

Steve Pozaric

« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2001, 07:17:18 PM »
This seems to be as appropriate of a place as any to make my first post on the new format so here goes:

Steve Pozaric
St. Louis
Lawyer (a corporate law person who avoids courtrooms like the plague)

As with Jason, lawyers also must keep track of time and frequenting discussion forums such as this, Golf Aficiandos & VWVortex are not condusive to a high billing day.

A lurker, mostly, as I do not have the background with regard to many of the courses that are discussed.  I have found that I like the older courses due to the fact that they often seem to possess more character rather than "eye candy" & like to walk.  So here I am.

Steve
Steve Pozaric

George Pazin

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2002, 07:48:05 AM »
Till Rich's idea of linking Profiles to personal info gets implemented, I thought I'd bring this back up to get some info on some of the new posters.

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2002, 07:55:49 AM »
Here's the link to the original old-board thread:
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/board/ubbhtml/Forum1/HTML/000687.html
for newbies wanting to know who we are (and oldbe's who want to check it out again).

BillV

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2002, 07:58:44 AM »
Bill Vostinak
The big 5-0 last year
Orthopaedic Surgeon
redandoc@hotmail.com works
Allentown, PA
Lehigh CC
7 Hcp currently

Look me up if in the area (Philly to NYC).  Please.

Always eager to meet and play with  Archies.  Never tire of so many aspects of this greatgame except maybe the professional golfer BS and hype.  
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:01 PM by -1 »

JohnV

« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2002, 08:08:50 AM »
Since my Long Lost Twin Brother  ;) just posted, I should be next.  BillV and I met a couple of years ago and were stunned at how much we had in common.

John Vander Borght
Hitting the big 5-0 this year.  Yes, it was a long time between our births. ;D
Software Consultant and Golf Rules Official
johnborght@att.net for now
Soquel, Ca (just moved from Portland, OR on 9/11)
Pumpkin Ridge and Pajaro Valley
7.5 index and rising

I started out reading the Golfweb Rules forum and got hooked by the architecture one.  Thank to John M I found GCA and wish I had enough time to read everything in it.

Love to meet fellow GCAers, if you are getting out to the Monterey Bay Area, get in touch.

Kelly_Blake_Moran

« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2002, 09:52:16 AM »
Kelly Blake Moran
Golf Course Architect

Started playing golf at 8 years at Odessa (Texas) Country Club.  Went to school at University of Texas and Texas A&M. Like all good Texas boys, have played Hogan apex blades since the beginning.  Like all good Texas boys will go see Willie Nelson on Sunday when he comes to Reading.

Worked for Bob von Hagge for 11 years; partner, before starting my own practice.

Currently living outside Reading PA.  Member at Moselem Springs.  

Mike Vegis @ Kiawah

« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2002, 09:56:34 AM »
Mike Vegis
Public Relations Director, Kiawah Island Golf Resort
(Revised 1/8/10)

52 years old, married with a 11-year-old son and 9-year-old daughter (I'm done!).  I've been playing the game since I was 4, working at our country club in Battle Creek, Michigan (Riverside CC), while in high school.  Currenty carry a 13 handicap index.

After craming a 4-year engineering degree into 6 years at Michigan State University, I decided engineering wasn't for me.  Went to Washington and got a job on Capitol Hill.  Spent 5 years as Legislative Assistant to former Congressman Mike Oxley (R-OH) (you've may know that name from the "Sarbanes/Oxley" accountant full employment act) then 5 years as Legislative Director to former Congressman Don Ritter (R-PA).  Worked mostly on Energy and Commerce Committee affairs (specifically on the Subcommittee on Telecommunications and Finance).  Also was campaign strategist for two of Ritter's reelection campaigns.

Ten years is a long time on Capitol Hill and I had no desire to run for office (although the NRCC wanted me to do so in Michigan against former congressman Howard Wolpe (D-MI)).  I wanted to have some fun while still getting paid for it so I headed to Miami and got a job as Director of Marketing and PR for Windjammer Barefoot Cruises.  For the next 8 years I sailed the Caribbean on Tall Ships while schmoozing with the press.  Met my wife "fishing off the company dock" as she was a Windjammer passenger.  Met her on St. Lucia, got to know here on St. Kitts and St. Barts.  During my time with Windjammer, I took my 2 week vacations each year in Monterey working on the AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am (the former tournament director, Lou Russo, is a family friend).  I worked contestant registration, hospitality, photography, even bag transportation -- you name it, I did it...  

Windjammer was fun but didn't pay very well.  My wife (before we were married) worked in Charleston and loved it.  I used to vacation on Kiawah back in the early 80s and loved it.  We wanted to move to the Lowcountry to raise our family.  So, I begged my way into the best job in the world at the most well run, well thought out resort in America.  

Kiawah's hotel, the Sanctuary at Kiawah Island Golf Resort, has a AAA Five Diamond and a Forbes (nee Mobil) Five Star (as does its spa).  In 2007, we added a $24 million clubhouse at The Ocean Course which finally brings the amenities up to par with the golf facilities and make Kiawah Island Golf Resort one of the top golf destinations in the world.  I've never seen a better management team than we have here.  

Hope y'all tune in to the 2012 PGA Championship will we'll host on The Ocean Course!
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 01:23:08 PM by Mike Vegis @ Kiawah »

b. mogg

« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2002, 06:15:51 AM »
Name: Brett Mogg (formerly known as Mothman)
Family: Married, 2 boys (age almost 4 and 16 months)
Handicap: See above

I have been involved with the architecture discussion groups for several years, pre-GCA, pre-bravenet, back in the Dan King days. I think the best day on the old , old DG was the day I took on "Torosay" in a fishslapping competion - you would have to ask Tommy Naccarrato about the details.

I have met a few from the DG, Tommy Naccarrato, Tom Paul, Jeff Brauer, Neil Crafter (yes it is I the "skankmeister") and Mike Duffy (among others). None of whom I might say are anything like I imagined. I have seen Steve Okula's surveying efforts in the Phillipines and played Jeff Brauer's efforts on Batam Island, lest they think those works are lost in the sands of time or remote location (or Larry Nelson's name).

All are welcome to look me up if you come this way, if not for golf then at least for a few soothing ales.

Cheers,
Brett

George Pazin

« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2002, 10:28:22 PM »
Still waiting on a lot of new names...chipoat, spdb ,etc.  :)

eshortz

« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2002, 11:10:44 PM »
Eric Shortz
Los Angeles, CA
Attorney
Los Angeles CC

For BillV and TEPaul in PA,  Bucknell grad

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back