News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

grampa (Guest)

Re: Who Are You Guys(revisited)?
« Reply #75 on: May 09, 2002, 02:12:22 PM »

Bernie Ebbers
age 71
retired ceo
married with 3 childern and 5 grand kids (grampa)
reside in the northeast
handicap 10
member of 2 golf clubs

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

hudsonm

« Reply #76 on: May 09, 2002, 06:48:26 PM »
Hudson McVay
E-mail: hudsonm@ohiogolfguide.com
Home: Hilliard, Ohio

Have been golfing for 12 years now. Have been running a website for Ohio golf courses since 1998. Was centralohiogolf.com now ohiogolfguide.com.
Mainly a lurker here. Always looking for any comments about Ohio courses. Enjoy the reading and the civil tone of this board.

David Wigler

« Reply #77 on: August 14, 2002, 01:50:43 PM »
Thought I would pull this one back up front and give some of our new friends a chance to respond and see who they are conversing with.
And I took full blame then, and retain such now.  My utter ignorance in not trumpeting a course I have never seen remains inexcusable.
Tom Huckaby 2/24/04

Rob Hallford

« Reply #78 on: August 14, 2002, 02:12:54 PM »
Long time listener, first time caller....  no, wait, that's not right....

Rob Hallford
Home:  Indianapolis, IN
email:  robhallford@yahoo.com

I found this site over a year ago when the Bandon Dunes website linked to Ran's review of PacDunes.  My friend and I printed out the hole-by-hole description and used it as a course guide that we carried with us when we went out last August.  Since then I have learned the difference between a Redan and a Biarritz, and more about quality architecture than in my previous 17 years with the game combined.

rob
« Last Edit: July 09, 2003, 10:53:41 AM by Rob Hallford »

Dave_Miller

« Reply #79 on: August 14, 2002, 02:51:41 PM »
Dave Miller
Age 49+
Occupation: President & CEO - Manufacturing Company South of Boston
Reside in Dover, Mass.
Married, three kids - Two out of College ;D Youngest a Sophomore
Grew up in the Phila. Area
High School - Malvern Prep
College- Villanova
Grad School - Boston College
Member at- Charles River CC - Newton Centre, Ma.
                  Aronimink GC - Newtown Square, Pa.
                  Farmington CC - Charlottesville, Va.
                  Admirals Cove - Jupiter, Fl.
Love the Old Classic Courses, Have served on Several Green Committees and also Course restoration Committee at Charles River.  Found the site through Ed Baker, My pal from Charles River.
Have a true love of the game, its history, traditions and love to discuss the architecture of any course.
Try to play as often as possible. Never seem to improve 8).
Have been fortunate to play many of the great courses such as Olympic, Seminole, PV, Merion, etc.,etc.
Never met a golf course I haven't liked.
Get in touch if in the Area.

Fairways and Greens,
Dave

WPM

« Reply #80 on: August 14, 2002, 05:16:49 PM »
Billy Mulvehill
Minneapolis
Handicap:10
I've wanted to be an architect ever since I found this site about a year ago.  I've now read and studied most courses on this site and visit this site nearly everyday.

Phil

« Reply #81 on: August 14, 2002, 07:02:01 PM »
Phil Wood
Newbie Lurker
65 years old
Partner in Hawaii's largest communications company (adv'ting, PR, web development and research)
Member Oahu CC
A 5 hdcp just two years ago, now a 12.
Travel regularly to our offices on Guam (4X/yr) and in Las Vegas (6X/yr). The rest of the time, I'm slaving away in Honolulu.
Grew up in the SF Bay Area at Orinda CC. Teen years at Oakmont CC in Glendale, Southern California. Have been a member of Round Hill CC (in Alamo), Mid-Pacific CC (Lanikai, Hawaii) and now Oahu CC in Honolulu.
Over the years have played Pasatiempo, Pebble, Spanish Bay, Riviera, LA North, Valley Club, Shadow Creek, the Princeville Prince course, Mauna Kea, etc.
A thousand years ago, my Dad told me I would be forever grateful to him for handing me a club and giving a little push, that it was a game "for ever." Of course, he was right. But, damn, sometimes it's hard to remember when I'm posting those godawful scores!

Bruceski

« Reply #82 on: August 15, 2002, 04:09:43 AM »
Bruce Strober (Bruceski)
Born: Washington, D.C.
Live Currently: New York City (since 1989)

Don't play enough golf. Don't have enough time. But love every opportunity I get.

David_Lee

« Reply #83 on: August 15, 2002, 05:34:01 AM »
My info:

David Lee
Home: Darien, CT but grew up in Haddonfield, NJ near Phila.
Home Course: Yale
Handicap: 9

Found the site while doing research for a trip to Bandon Dunes and now tune in daily - although post infrequently.

Through work, friends and vacation, have had the pleasure of playing over the last few years: Bandon/Pacific Dunes, Black Wolf Run (River), Whistling Straits, Pinehurst, Ballybunnion, Lahinch, Waterville, Blue Heron, World Woods, Scotland Run, PGA West (Stadium) among others.  Have my first trip to Pebble Beach/Spyglass this Sept and can't wait.  

I have the good fortune of having a very understanding wife, which is also how I got to be a member at Yale for the last 12 years.  Have not met Mike Sweeney there, but will now keep an eye out for him (maybe at Beineke??)

Very much enjoy the posts and banter, probably because I am biased to courses that are in the traditional strategic shotmaking vein than the hi slope/hit and hope/looks over substance/ego-tests that are often being built today.

Couple of courses in the traditional vein that I like but don't seem to get a lot of attention are:  
Ridgewood CC - Devereux Emmet course in Danbury, CT
Wee Burn CC - another Emmet course in Darien CT
Tavistock CC -  my father's home course in South Jersey by Alex Findlay which as others have noted about his courses have terrific greens

Gary

« Reply #84 on: August 15, 2002, 07:08:05 AM »
Gary Baker
Home: Chicago, IL
Home Course: O'Hare

I am a long time reader and have yet to post.  I am still trying to learn enough to be able to hang with you guys.  I don't have a home course.  When I have free time I love to travel and see great golf courses around the country.  Hopefully I will be able to contribute to this site down the road.  

Greg Clark

« Reply #85 on: August 15, 2002, 10:41:03 AM »
Became aware of the site through the SI article, and have stopped by nearly every day since.

Info:

Greg Clark
Married and trying like heck to have kiddos
monroelee@yahoo.com
Dallas (actually Frisco), Texas
Retained Executive Search for the last 10 years.

Started golfing around 8 or 9 years old.  Introduced to the game by my father.  Childhood course was Oakwood Country Club in Coal Valley, Illinois.  The course is a fairly unspectacular early Dye design that did host a PGA Tour event (Quad Cities Open) for over a decade.  Event is now held at the TPC at Deere Run, which is just up the road from the house I lived in during my high school years.

Grew up in the midwest (Iowa, Illinois, Minnesota) and am a graduate of the University of Iowa.  Only get to play golf 2-3 times a month, but have always loved golf since I started playing.  Play to a current handicap of 12.  Have lived in Dallas for the last 10 years and bounce around to several of the better public courses in the Metroplex when I get out, and on occasion those of the private variety.

I am almost ashamed to list my best played list, as it falls pretty short of several in this community, but mine include Blackwolf Run (River), Whistling Straits, Cog Hill (Dubsdread), Casa de Campo (Teeth of the Dog), Playa Grande (also Dominican Republic, and a true undiscovered jewel), Troon North (Monument - at the time very few houses) among others.

If you are in Dallas and want thoughts on the area courses or would like to hit the little white ball around let me know.

« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 04:46:25 PM by Greg_Clark »

Jeff Goldman

« Reply #86 on: August 15, 2002, 12:57:06 PM »
Jeff Goldman
Occupation:  Attorney specializing in tax Controversy       (litigation)
Home:  Chicago, IL
I do not belong to a club, so I generally don't get to play older great courses, but try to play many courses in the area, especially Chicago/Milwaukee/Lake Geneva.  My experience with great courses is basically limited to the Kohler area (including Lawsonia), Pebble and banff/jasper, with, I hope, more to come.  I found the site by happenstance, searching google for "Golf course architecture."  It is terrific, as are the contributors.  
That was one hellacious beaver.

angie

« Reply #87 on: August 15, 2002, 07:02:37 PM »
hey, i'm angie.
hometown: greater chicagoland area: i live in the loop, play most of my golf at wilmette (muni),and belong to a women's golf club which plays alternate saturdays may-sept at courses always at least 50 miles away from my humble downtown abode. i play 18 to 36 holes every weekend plus daily when on vacation.
learned golf from my dad, tried to get better during my growing up years at evanston g.c. in skokie IL with lessons from johnny revolta and hal miller.
ghin is 16.3 - i don't use the forward tees and the most famous course i've ever played was hazletine back in 1976, so you can only imagine.
got interested in gca thru the si article and "hunk" pictures that accompanied it.
got more interested in the topic as i've been doing some reading and noticing how the understanding adds a new dimension to the game!
i'll probably be here for years.

Robert Kimball

« Reply #88 on: August 16, 2002, 07:02:06 AM »
Rob Kimball

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #89 on: August 16, 2002, 07:24:51 AM »
Thanks, Rob.  I know so much more about you now.   ::)  ;)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:08 PM by -1 »

Robert Kimball

« Reply #90 on: August 16, 2002, 07:26:40 AM »
Rob Kimball
33 years old
Atlanta, GA
Single, but think I have finally found the one :o
Editor, medical newsletter publishing company

I have been a visitor to GCA for about 2 years, but I never really experienced the discussion group.  The things that I love about the web site are the reviews.  Just to see a picture of courses such as Cypress, NGLA, Seminole, etc. really grab my interest.  
  I was so suprised to see the article in Golf Plus about GCA. I immediately said "Oh wow, that's the web site that I like so much." I was "worried that the regulars would think I just started because of the article.  
  Anyway, my socio-economic status limits me at this time to memberships in Atlanta's exclusive clubs, but I have some good friends and connections and have played some nice ones in the area: Atlanta Country Club, Atlanta National GC (Pete Dye), East Lake, Big Canoe, Cuscowilla.
   My interest in architecture stemmed from practice round visits to Augusta, and on a business trip to SF last year, I took a vacation day and played Pasatiempo!!!  Wow, what a course, and the Doak restoration is fantastic. Anyone who has Pasa or mid-ocean pictures to share, please let me know.
  Top 5 courses I have played:
1. Mid-Ocean Club
2. Pasatiempo
3. East Lake
4. Harbour Town
5. Cuscowilla

Stan Dodd

« Reply #91 on: August 16, 2002, 07:37:54 AM »
My socio-econmic sttatus limits me to membership in some of the finer municipal tracks in the Sacramento Valley. ;)

Robert Kimball

« Reply #92 on: August 16, 2002, 07:51:03 AM »
I know Scott, that looks funny.  I had an overactive "enter" key!!!   :D

As always, I will try to let you know when I get to Winston. . .

Robert Kimball

« Reply #93 on: August 16, 2002, 07:56:35 AM »
Sorry Mike Vegis, I completely left off TOC in my favorites. Man, I shouldn't of had that extra beer last night!!! ::)
Revised:
1. Mid Ocean
2. Pasatiempo
3. Ocean Course
4. East Lake
5. Cuscowilla

Sorry Harbour Town, but at least I have a Pete Dye in there!!

mike_malone

« Reply #94 on: August 16, 2002, 08:03:21 AM »
Mike Malone
 Wallingford,Pa.
 Married-three girls-27,24,21
 Certified Portfolio Manager

I started playing at Dupont C.C. at 13.Moved to Vt.where i was member at Burlington C.C.Moved back to philly  and joined Rolling Green.
 My interest in GCA was latent.I just knew intuitively that one of our holes was wrong.Then we began our  Master Plan process and i saw the 1926 aerials.That is when i came out of the closet.I have been on our Green Cmte.since.
 I know i have much to learn and 1 out of every 50 threads here helps me.I just do not know which one until i read them all.It sure beats watching the market.

I went to Ireland 4 years in a row.My favorites are:
       Ballybunion
       Royal County Down
       Portmarnock
       Portstewart
       Royal Portrush
       Baltray
       Lahinch

after the first two the order is random

Since Wall Street has gone to new rating system,i am a buy as a 14 hdcp.,a hold as an 11,and a sell as a 9
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:08 PM by -1 »
AKA Mayday

JNB

« Reply #95 on: August 16, 2002, 08:33:43 AM »
Nick Bunch
Home:  Austin, TX
E-Mail:  jnbunch@aol.com

Grew up in Dallas, TX playing at the Dallas Athletic Club (site of '63 PGA Championship).  Haven't had an opportunity to play many different courses, but definitely plan on doing so.

Shoot in the mid to low 80s on good days.  

Have been following this forum quitely for the past year or so, and really enjoy it.  Got in to Golf Course Architecture with the release of several games for the PC.

Nick.

David Wigler

« Reply #96 on: August 17, 2002, 12:13:39 PM »
Great to see so many new names.  Keep it up.
And I took full blame then, and retain such now.  My utter ignorance in not trumpeting a course I have never seen remains inexcusable.
Tom Huckaby 2/24/04

John Bernhardt

« Reply #97 on: August 17, 2002, 01:52:45 PM »
David It is great how many people love the site like we do.

Steve Lapper

« Reply #98 on: August 17, 2002, 05:33:47 PM »
Slapper:

Steve Lapper
5.0index ............and rising!!!
Married ,Daughter
slap@sprynet.com
Private Investor
Member; Roaring Fork Club, Aspen Glen, Hamilton Farms
NYC & Far Hills, NJ

I've been most fortunate to have had the opportunity to have played many of the world's greatest 18's(see below). That said, there are still many left to see and more, I'm sure to be built. I love the game, the architectual component of course composition, and most of the people I meet on the course. GCA is only my most recent addiction. My new bride thinks we should all seek psychiatric help!

My top ten favorites:

1)PVGC
2)Royal County Down
3)Royal Melbourne (West&Comp)
4)Sand Hills
5)Cypress Point
6)Royal Dornoch
7)Pacific Dunes
8)NGLA
9)Friar's Head
10)Oakmont
11) :DThe Aspen Muni....site of the miracle tourney round...71 with a 10 on the 10th...City Championship final day!

It is a game for life and i'm determined to live it!

I'd love to play at RFC or HFGC with fellow GCA'ers sometime. Send me an e-mail and i'll try to make it happen.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:06 PM by -1 »
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Debbie Stevens

« Reply #99 on: August 17, 2002, 06:11:56 PM »

Major:  Architecture, with some emphasis on golf course architecture.

Handicap:  6

Stats:  35C-25-34

Favorite course I've played:  Cypress Point

Favorite architect:  Seth Raynor

Turn-ons:  Playing golf just before dusk, discovering "hidden gems," nipple rings

Turn-offs:  Most Fazio courses, unnatural-looking holes, artificial lakes  

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back