News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Bernhardt

Re: Who Are You Guys(revisited)?
« Reply #100 on: August 18, 2002, 07:06:40 AM »
Debbie, You are welcome here anytime. We should play together the next time I go out to Cypress Point.  I give you a big thumbs up for putting in your stats. lol
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

Bill_McBride

« Reply #101 on: August 18, 2002, 09:17:48 AM »
John, I think Debbie should post a photo so we can verify her credentials.

Bill McBride, recently turned 60 - everything still working but the golf swing.  
Life time admirer of classic golf courses - favorites being Valley Club, Oakmont, Pebble Beach, Bel Air, Pasatiempo.  New courses that fit this group: Pacific and Bandon Dunes.  Looking forward to playing Rustic Canyon in a week.  Caddied at Meadow Club in the '50's without knowing it was a MacKenzie design!  Ditto for playing at Sharp Park in 60's and 70's.  Not much MacKenzie left there.
General contractor, living in Pensacola FL where I'm a member at Pensacola CC, celebrating our 100th anniversary this year. And Brad Klein to the contrary, I still think there's a lot of Ross in our course with its tiny pushed up greens and interesting angles.
A highlight of the last few years has been becoming acquainted with GCA and playing golf with several GCA'ers who share my love for golf.

ADX

« Reply #102 on: August 18, 2002, 06:41:11 PM »
Bill Rader
Home: Indianapolis IN,  USA
Email: brader300@yahoo.com

+1.6 USGA index as of last week

I started playing golf after seeing it on TV on a boring sunday and immediately became hooked. Nobody in my family had ever even been to a golf course let alone played on one. From age 8 on I have been hooked and love it as much as the first time I ever hit a ball good.

I had an average high school career and played a little bit of college and a little bit of mini tour action then got in the PGA program and became a Class A Teaching professional and worked in that field until about 5 years ago when my other hobby (computers) started interesting me more. I have never regreted getting out of the golf biz as I now have time to play. I am blessed to play every day. And I have found a new found love for the game once again.

I am engaged to a wonderful gal from Texas who I see on weekends as she works for an airline and I hope that one of us decides to move to the other one soon : )

I come to this site on the mention of Bruce Strober and Mark Huxford who I have befriended through the computer golf design community.

My playing hilights have been Pebble this year, Augusta two times (If anyone wants some stories I of course would love to share) Bandon and Pacific, Sawgrass and many other nationally known courses. Locally I have some good golf to pick from in The Trophy Club, Wolf Run, Crooked Stick and various others.

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:08 PM by -1 »

Chris_Clouser

« Reply #103 on: August 19, 2002, 12:13:49 PM »
Guess I should put my info on this thread.

Chris Clouser
Home:Indianapolis, IN, USA
email:chris.clouser@aimco.com

Started playing at age 13 and by 18 was a 15 handicap.  Still am to this day.  I don't get to play nearly enough

I am a project manager for the country's largest owner of apartment complexes.

The best course I've ever played is Prairie Dunes which was part of a trip for research for my book on Perry Maxwell.  I have seen most of the prominent courses in the Midwest.

Bob_Farrell

« Reply #104 on: August 22, 2002, 06:16:54 AM »
Been around now for a couple of weeks, so I guess I can intro myself:

Name:  Bob Farrell
Home: Florham Park NJ
E-Mail: lpibob@aol.com
                  Certified Fraud Examiner

Clubs:  Spring Brook CC, Morristown NJ
          St Andrews Golf Club, (yes there)
Current Index: 5.4

Have had the privilege of playing courses all over the world, but still have a lot more on my short list.

Glad to be here.

Brian Hampson

« Reply #105 on: August 22, 2002, 07:16:01 AM »
Who am I?

Been lurking on the site for around 2 years.  

Hometown--St Louis, MO
Current ----Bay Area CA
Occupation--Golf Course Supt.
Age----27
Married with a son on the way!

Worked as an asst at Forest Hills in St Louis as well as Paradise Valley CC in Scottsdale.  Then moved to Troon North as the Supt. on the Pinnacle course and now reside as the Supt. at Shadow Lakes Golf Club in Brentwood CA.  (Troon Property)

I had the opportunity to attend Rutgers and while there visited PV, Winged Foot, Baltusrol and some others,

then went to the southwest and hit all the scottsdale gems as well as the courses in Monterey.  I enjoy reading about golf course architecture and walking classic golf courses.  I am not much of a player but more of an admirer of good golf holes.

Favorite Architect:  C. B. Macdonald
Favorite course:  St Louis Country Club

PS:  There is nothing better than starting your work day off with a slow drive around a golf course.  I love my work!!

Joe_Hatley

« Reply #106 on: August 22, 2002, 02:57:56 PM »
Gotta keep this thread going....

Name:  Joe Hatley
Email: jhatley@lathropgage.com
Live In: Overland Park, KS
GHIN Index: 7.0
Club:  Milburn CC
Age: 41, married (played Torrey Pines on my honeymoon), 2 kids

Best Golf Memory: Although I've been lucky enough to play many terrific courses (Pebble, Pinehurst #2, Olympic, the English and Scottish classics including North Berwick), my fondest memory is the last round I played with my dad before he passed away, on a nondescript course in Florida.  

Most Profound Golfing Regret:  Finding out that my firm's retreat next spring (which I am compelled to attend) coincides with the weekend on which I was invited to play Cypress Point.  I must be insane!

This is a wonderful site! Thank you, Ran.  My contribution is forthcoming.

Mike Benham

« Reply #107 on: August 22, 2002, 05:19:21 PM »
and one more ...

Mike Benham
San Mateo, CA  (which means I have to read Gib Papazian's weekly column in the SM Times)

CFO type of work

Member of Olympic Club Pajaro Valley

« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 11:45:49 AM by Mike Benham »
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Bruceski

« Reply #108 on: August 22, 2002, 06:05:05 PM »
Are you the Mike Benham mentioned in the NY Times today regarding the Interent Explorer's security flaw?

Paul Daley

« Reply #109 on: August 22, 2002, 06:52:15 PM »
Paul Daley:

A member of Huntingdale (Melbourne) and The National Golf Clubs (Cape Schanck) in Victoria, Australia. Currently playing off a handicap of five, and adopt the old adage: when you can longer play the game, write about it!

Enjoying my joint career as golf writer and publisher, with Plus Four Publishing and Full Swing Golf Publishing. Have published two books on golf, with a third to be released in November, 2002, plus several more in the pipeline.

Favoutite golf courses:

The West Course at Royal Melbourne
Royal County Down
Ballybunion Old
Royal Dornoch
Winged Foot (West).

In the meantime, happy to beg, borrow or steal to get a round at Cypress Point.

ed_getka

« Reply #110 on: August 22, 2002, 07:28:14 PM »
Paul,
 What is the next book? And what is in the pipeline? Thanks for signing the Sand Belt book for me via Ron Muszalski. Great job, I look forward to the next book. Instant message me when you get a chance through this site.
Ed
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Mike Benham

« Reply #111 on: August 23, 2002, 08:23:35 AM »
Heck no ... I did see that yesterday myself (my internet surfing kids saw it first ...) ...

I'm a CFO that prefers to stay out of the news ...
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Doug Wright

« Reply #112 on: August 23, 2002, 08:57:55 AM »
Since there are a lot of new participants here these days, I'll reprise the link to the old site's "Who Are You Guys" thread. This has info re a lot of the "regulars" hereon:

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/board/ubbhtml/Forum1/HTML/000687.html

FYI here's my info from this thread (updated):

Doug Wright

49, corporate/securities attorney, played since I was 10--as some 2 handicapper I played with this year described his game, "I used to be good." Have loved architecture for most of that time--used to envision course routings as a kid riding through the glacial drumlins of central NY. Played in Scotland and Ireland and can't wait to get back. Grew up in western NY and played quite a bit in the east, including pleasure cruises to Oak Hill and Taconic in college. Now in Colorado (Denver) where there are the usual collection of good designs and bad. Member of Denver CC. Love quirk, hidden gems and the camaraderie and erudition of GCA. If you're coming out to the Rockies let me know.

All The Best,

Twitter: @Deneuchre

Rick_Noyes

« Reply #113 on: August 23, 2002, 10:16:10 AM »
OK Here goes,
I'm a 42 yr. old golf course architect for Dan Maples Design.  Moved here to Pinehurst in 95 from Greenville, SC where I worked maintenance at Greenville CC while completing my LA degree from Clemson.
Married 14yrs, 1 son

The projects I've worked on since joining Dan:
Little River - Carthage NC
The Wizard - Conway SC
Man-o-War - Conway SC
Rocky River GC - Concord NC
Ford's Colony - Williamsburg VA
Natanis GC - Vasslaboro ME
Sandpiper Bay - Sunset Beach NC
Winchester CC (remodel) - Winchester VA

we are currently finishing an additonal 18-hole course for Campbell University, Keith Hills CC, in Buies Creek NC, scheduled to open in late November.

Play most of my golf at The Pit and Longleaf CC and a few rounds at National (formerly Pinehurst National).  Although I seem to play less since I've been in the business!

Jimmy_Yahnis

« Reply #114 on: August 23, 2002, 11:20:12 AM »
Jimmy Yahnis
Handicap: 10
Residence: Myrtle Beach area (SC)

I discovered this site from the SI article and have been lurking since. I have played golf since age 12, and used to have a lower handicap before making money took top priority. My interest in golf course architecture took root when I appraised real estate, and thus, numerus golf courses in the 80's and early 90's. I am learning a great deal based on the discussions here.

I have been blessed to play many of the great courses. My favorites are:

1) Turnberry
2)  Ballybunion New
3) Pebble Beach
4) Pinehurst #2
5) Old Head
6) Kingsbarns
7) Spyglass Hill
8) TCP Sawgrass Stadium
9) Bay Hill

I will later post my impressions of my two home courses.

BBrown

« Reply #115 on: August 23, 2002, 01:06:10 PM »
Brian Brown
age 26
Southampton NY
I been lurking around the website for about 7 months.  Just started posted recently, but I'm kind of shy about it.  Play as often as I can and wish it was more.  Caddied at one of the exclusive clubs but the real job didn't allow me to continue.  Work halfway between East Hamton Golf Club and Maidstone and eat my lunch everyday watching the 17th at Maidstone.  Hope to play all of the great courses by be including, EHGC, Maidstone, Shinnecock, NGLA, the Bridge and Friars Head.  Learning more and more about architecture and its great.  

George Pazin

« Reply #116 on: August 23, 2002, 01:58:41 PM »
Way to go, Rick - way too few actual archies on board here for most of us junkies. Don't be afraid to set us straight with reality checks like Jeff Brauer likes to give us. :)
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Doug Wright

« Reply #117 on: December 11, 2002, 01:40:30 PM »
Someone asked this to be pulled up to the front because there are a number of new participants, so here it is. See above for requested info, name, rank & serial #, etc.

All The Best,
Twitter: @Deneuchre

TEPaul

« Reply #118 on: December 11, 2002, 03:33:15 PM »
I'm Tom Paul, I think--

I should reintroduce myself because I may not be the same guy I was when I first introduced myself on Golfclubatlas in the beginning.

I think I still come from Philly, though! My age? I don't want to talk about it, although I will say I'm thirty years older than when I first introduced myself on here in 2000! My handicap? I can't remember, and even if I could Rich Goodale says it's no good anyway because it's part of the US GHIN system.

But for any of you new guys, I'd tell you right now to know anything at all about golf architecture you HAVE to KNOW and UNDERSTAND every single word Max Behr wrote. Nothing less will do.

In that vein of Max Behr, I have a funny tid-bit to report. I was at the USGA yesterday with Wayne looking through some voluminous files of Hugh Wilson correspondence to a couple of fellows by the name of Piper and Oakley at the US Dept or Agriculture from 1911-1925.

In a letter about 1922 Wilson told Oakley and Piper that he'd just read an architectural article by Max Behr and the man was an absolute WONDER in what he wrote!! Wilson said it was the most amazing article on architecture he'd ever read  although he wasn't at all sure what it meant and felt certain that Oakley and Piper probably never would.

But Hugh did say that he was delighted to know that what he'd been doing with Merion for the previous ten years was apparently very much a moral issue, according to Max!

Well, anyway, HOWDY DO to you'all, again! And to the new folks, welcome to the barroom brawl that's Golfclubatlas!

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:12 PM by -1 »

Doug Siebert

« Reply #119 on: December 11, 2002, 05:18:00 PM »
Well, I guess I should jump in here too since I'm new since this thread was last active.

I'm 36, 5 handicap (though I play more like a 10 in early spring before I de-rust myself) work as an enterprise computing consultant.  I live in Iowa, so I don't get a lot of regular exposure to great architecture like some of you guys, but I do travel a fair bit and have made golfing trips to Scotland twice and Ireland once, and plan to do so many more times in the future.  I've been exposed to a lot more great courses over there than in the US since many of the great courses over here are private.

I've always had an appreciation for golf's history, so an interest in architecture is only natural.  I feel much less knowledgeable about both around here than I do around most golfers!  But that's good, more to learn here.  Especially cool that there are plenty of contributions from people who design and build courses for a living.  Not bad work if you can get it!
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Richard_Macafee

« Reply #120 on: December 11, 2002, 06:34:22 PM »
Richard Macafee
Family: Wife and 3 kids (5,3 &1)
Live: Melbourne, Australia
Clubs: Kingston Heath GC, Lonsdale GC
H'cap: 0
Favourite Courses played: Royal Melb West
                                    Royal County Down
                                    St Andrews Old

Work: Commercial Property Developer

RDecker

« Reply #121 on: December 11, 2002, 07:37:04 PM »
name: Robert Decker
reside: Lenox, MA
handicap: 10

I had the good fortune of growing up with Cranwell (Stiles &Van Kleek) as my backyard. I spent my college years and a few more afterward working on the course to pay for my Marketing degree.  Several years into an uninspired business career my Superintendent older brother convinced me to attend turf school at UMass.  After my first few years as an assistant in Southeastern Conn. I started getting interested in architecture and began reading everything I could find on the subject.  I then took a job back in the Berkshires at Berkshire Hills which was layed out by Mr. Tillinghast and my exposure to his genius along with mentoring by Steve Curry who is the super there created a huge interest in Classical
design and specifically the restoration of classic courses.  I am currently attempting to restore Greenock C.C. a 9 hole
Donald Ross course in Lee, MA.

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #122 on: December 11, 2002, 08:01:01 PM »
Forrest Richardson
Born: Burbank, CA USA
Last 35 years: Phoenix, AZ USA
Last 3 Hours: My office looking out at Squaw Peak Mountain
Wife: 1
Daughter: 1
14" Dia. African Tortoise: 1
Hcp: 6.7 (play seems more like 12)

Well, it seems about the "Rs", so I've logged in and am posting some information.

My mentor is Arthur Jack Snyder. Jack's father, Arthur A. Snyder, began caddying at Oakmont in 1907, setting in motion an interesting linage of designers, beginning with Arthur A. and extending to Arthur Jack Snyder, and now to me. Interesting was that Arthur A. Snyder actually manufactured some of the furrowed rakes used at Oakmont. He was a terrific guy; a USGA Green Section recipient and many other honors. Arthur Jack Snyder was a past president of the ASGCA.

I've just written a book. Well, actually it took two years and was just published. "Routing the Golf Course" (John Wiley & Sons, 2002). Expensive for a non-color book, but you get about 1,000,000 words. Most of them spelled correctly and broken up by diagrams and photos. I'd recommend it to anyone. And have.

My influences have been many and they are still continuing. I get easily influenced by lone 9-holers aside the road on the way through small towns. I also get excited about new stuff. I usually don't follow others. I tend to blaze my own path. It's more fun for me and, I feel, the golfer.

I spent about 15 years in market research, television (where I was an art director) and then ran a successful environmental graphics (signage, retail and corporate design) firm. Left all that behind to assist Arthur Jack Snyder as he got older. He is now 85 and quietly active.

Thank you for reading my posts -- I apologize in advance for any sharply worded responses that are undeserved. If they are deserved, then bug-off.

— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Mark_F

« Reply #123 on: December 11, 2002, 08:30:54 PM »
Mark Ferguson
Born/Reside: Melbourne, Australia.
Occupation: Actually Student, although my tax return refuses to recognise as such, doing a Bachelor of Contemporary Arts Degree, which gets quite depressing when I realise I'm twice the age of most of the other students.  
Formerly a Chef, although I will deny it to anyone except under extreme duress.
E-mail:dornoch@hotkey.net.au

Like most others I was searching the web to see what was on it with regard to various golf courses, and came across GCA, and am glad I did.  Am a recent convert to the discussion group, which has some fantastically erudite and cerebral people out there who all share this crazy passion for golf, and "golf as it was meant to be played" at that.  

I have travelled a lot, and can't wait for my next trip, because it would be nice to catch up with some of the "posters", especially turboe, because his personal poster motto is to die for.

I played fourteen courses in late 1996 during a three week trip through the UK, and have harboured an interest in golf and more particularly architecture, since I first walked Royal Melbourne 12-odd years ago and wondered what all the fuss was about...

I haven't actually played much since the UK trip due to five and a half years of constant elbow problems, but am now fixed and looking forward to catching up on lost time.  I did play to ten, and am confident that a few more lessons with the legendary Mr Dale Lynch will soon sort that out, as nothing, not even a Narrative and Screen direction lecture, will stop me.

I have also studied photography, and came up with an idea to do a book on the Sandbelt, even went so far as to take some pictures, but someone beat me to the punch...

Hopefully I will end up using my ten percent of the gross from whatever blockbuster movie I write and produce sometime in the next few years to buy a patch of Mornington peninsula dunes and found my own club, just like they used to do...

Assuming the bigwigs don't try any creative accounting with my fifty mil, I might even establish a fund for fellow GCA's to come and play it...

Matthew Mollica

« Reply #124 on: December 12, 2002, 02:48:47 AM »

Name - Matthew Mollica
Location - Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Age - 29
Occupation – Podiatrist
Home Club – The National, Cape Schanck
Handicap – 9
Fav golfer – David Duval, Cristie Kerr
Fav Architect - Dr. Alister Mackenzie
Fav Courses – Royal Melbourne West, St. Andrew’s Old

Courses I’d most like to play (and haven’t YET)
ANGC, Cypress Point Club, NGLA, Pine Valley, Muirfield, Ballybunion, Lahinch, Doonbeg

Golf highlights (playing) - Breaking 80 for the first time, which got me down to a single figure handicap, and scoring better than h’cap at Turnberry, in 40mph winds and rain.

Not sure if it’s a highlight, but hooked my second on Pasatiempo’s 6th hole last year, and I’m certain my ball ended up inside Mackenzie’s old home beside the course…

Non-playing highlights - jumped the fence on 17 mile drive (just before dawn) to take a photo on the 16th tee at Cypress. I’ve also phoned mates back in Australia from Amen Corner, the 7th green at Pebble, and INSIDE the Road Hole Bunker.

In the last few years, I’ve been fortunate enough to go and play in the States, and UK.  It is truly amazing to be living as a golfer here in Melbourne. Metro, Vic, RM, Yarra, Comm’wlth, K.Heath, H’dale, and so many others – We are really lucky.

Some of my old golf books are among my most prized possessions, incl. a first edition of Clifford Roberts' book on Augusta National.  My favourite golf author is none other than GCA’s own – Paul Daley !

Absolutely love the GCA site. It's great to see that so many are so enthused by the better facets of our game.

It's also good how we can all communicate on other cool golf stuff. When I saw the thread entitled 'best locker room in golf', and saw that someone replied - "Two words - shower pressure", I knew I'd found a good site.....

Thanks to those who contribute so much to GCA...

MM
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:01 PM by -1 »
"The truth about golf courses has a slightly different expression for every golfer. Which of them, one might ask, is without the most definitive convictions concerning the merits or deficiencies of the links he plays over? Freedom of criticism is one of the last privileges he is likely to forgo."

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back