News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Paul Richards

Aronimink's Inspiring Rebirth
« on: October 21, 2002, 03:46:00 PM »
In the October 19, 2002 issue of Golfweek, there is a very good article (with pictures and drawings) on pages 24 and 25 by Bradley Klein that talks about the restoration of Aronimink by Ron Prichard (even though the first photo says "Don").

I was wondering if anyone had scanning capabilities and could post this article and photos to gca (or even email it to me?) because this is a MUST-READ for the grounds committee chairman and members of the classic golf courses of America.

A lot can be learned from it!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »
"Something has to change, otherwise the never-ending arms race that benefits only a few manufacturers will continue to lead to longer courses, narrower fairways, smaller greens, more rough, more expensive rounds, and other mechanisms that will leave golf's future in doubt." -  TFOG

Dave_Miller

Re: Aronimink's Inspiring Rebirth
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2002, 03:53:14 PM »
Paul:

They did a very good job on the restoration.  Aronimink was the poster child for bastardization by Green Chairmen, Presidents and Green Committee Members.  

More redesigns than years since the Cubs and Red Sox won a pennant.

Tom Elliot and Tom Rozmus, working with Ron Prichard, did a magnificient job in restoring this course to the original design.

It also now requires a 2/3 vote of the members to make any changes to the Golf Course.

As a member of the Club I'm familiar with the work done and will look forward to reading Brad's article.

Best
Dave
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:10 PM by -1 »

Daryl "Turboe" Boe

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2002, 06:42:31 PM »
Lets see if I can overload the system again and create a thread so long that I have to break it down into a couple.  I recently got to see the restored Aronimink and loved what I saw.  Fortunately or unfortunately depending on your point of view I had never had the opportunity to see the bastardized version it had become over the years.

I was told that as they went to undertake this restoration and started putting all the information together, they learned that the completeness and detail of Ross's drawings for Aronimink were absolutely unbelievable.  Supposedly they may be second only to Pinehurst No.2 in their thoroughness.  It is thought by the members that this is a sign that Ross intended this course to be one that would be of highest championship caliber.  Whether this is true, or just overzealous pride in their own course, I guess only Ross will ever know.  But I do know that what they have on their hands now is a wonderful course to contest major championship level golf.

Over all I think they have done a spectacular job with the restoration here.  They have made good use of the extensive information that they have, and they have tried to stick to Ross's plans exclusively with the slight exception of adding a little length here and there.  Ironically, some of the new back tee boxes that were put in I was told were originally on Ross's blueprints, but were never put in until now.  It is almost like he put them in for future use if the distance of the modern game dictated it.  There are a couple holes where some bunker complexes were moved forward slightly to keep a proper perspective on today’s tee shot yardages, but when they were moved, they were kept in the same configuration, relative to one another, and the appropriate contours were maintained as well as possible.

Another thing that they are just beginning to undertake here (again true to Ross's plans) is to allow the tall wispy fescues to grow up between many holes, and in numerous locations all over the golf course.  This is the final piece to compliment the tree removal that has been and continues to be ongoing.  Although there is some dissention among some of the membership the greens committee has been strident about maintaining Ross's original intent and design.  In fact they have written and voted into place a long term plan for the course, which should prove to make sure that nothing happens to the true Ross design and intent of the course.  They have hopefully taken in out of the hands of the spurious whims of future tinkering.

The 1st hole here at  Aronimink is a 430 yard Par 4 from an elevated tee box located just below the clubhouse, the tee shot is downhill probably 40-50ft, a very spectacular tee shot.  From there the second shot plays uphill to a green protected by greenside bunkers left and right.

The 2nd hole is a 412 yd par 4 a slight dogleg left uphill to an interesting green complex.   It has a top shelf area in the back right that falls away to a closely mown chipping area behind the green, very interesting options from there.

Number 3 is a 446 yard par 4, with a lot of very interesting bunkers starting about 100 yards short of the green.  The green site is protected by bunkers right and left.

The 4th is the number 1 handicap hole here at Aronimink is a 466 yard par 4.  The driving area is pinched on the left by a fairway bunker.  The second shot has a Bunker short and left about 120yds short of the green.  A greenside bunker to the right guards the hole as well as a grassy bunker on the left-hand side.  The green slopes from both edges towards the center and slightly from back to front.

5th is a 176 yd. Par 3.  Well protected by some dramatic mounding and bunkering on all sides.  The green also has some great subtle undulations to it.  A good difficult mid length par 3.  Just gorgeous mounding surrounding this greensite.

The 6th is a par 4 of  400 yards.  Your tee shot must avoid fairway bunkers on the right hand side to find the proper line in the fairway.  From there the hole slides slightly to the right after your drive

The 7th is par 4 of 393 yards from the back tees..  The 7th Green is tucked back and to the right into the hillside, down below at the bottom of the hill to the left is the old farmhouse on the property. The green has some great undulation and is well protected from any miss by some difficult bunkering as well as the rough and difficult slopes caused by the green being cut into the hillside. A visually memorable hole and a good test of your shortgame.

The 8th is a 237 yards par  three downhill with a spectacular stonelined lake short of the green about 40 yards.  The tee shot is guarded by some lone trees to the right of the green.  A difficult hole due to its length, but certainly one you will not soon forget playing. The memorability and aesthetics of the hole are tremendous.

No. 9 is a 556 yard par 5, slightly uphill the entire way returning to the clubhouse.  Although the slope is not very dramatic on the tee shot, the fairway cants to the right on your second shot and slopes uphill to the green..  Your second shot must either played short of a bunker on the left side which cuts into the fairway, or over it.  To carry it would probably require a 200-220 yard second shot.  

The 10th is a downhill par 4 of 454 yards.  Like the first hole, this tee shot is a spectacular dropshot from a teebox located directly adjacent to the clubhouse down to the fairway of this par 4.  From the tee you can see the pond short and left of the green which will dominate the strategy of your approach shot.  A group of bunkers and a series of small mounds with long rough guard the right side should you decide to bail out a little wide right because of the lake.  A closely mown chipping  long and left of the green provide some interesting options there.

The 11th  is a par 4 measuring 412yds from the back tees.  Fairly straightforward the second shot plays slightly up hill.  This is one of the greens where they are starting to let the fescues grow up on some of the greenside mounding in anticipation of doing it all over the course.

The newly restored 12th may be the most spectacular hole on the course here at Aronimink.  A par 4 measuring  465 yards.  From the teebox this hole is just beautiful with the bunkers zig-zagging their way right and left of the fairway the entire way.  There are bunkers short left of the driving area, one to the right of the driving area about 260 yards out from the tee, and another bunker right more in the 300 yard range.  Additional bunkers left and right further up the hole complete the look of this impressive hole..

The 13th is a 393 yard Par 4. About 150 yards off tee there are some spectacles bunkers, and the slightly elevated fairway starts hole immediately behind them.  Those bunkers should not be in play, but they obscure any view you would have of the fairway, they create a great optical intimidation.  Two fairway bunkers on the left-hand side actually do come into play and pinch the driving area.  Your approach to this beautiful greensite should then be with a mid to short iron.  The green is protected by greenside bunkers right and left.  

The 14th tee is located directly to the right of and up a small hill from the 13th green.  The short walk although just slightly up hill provides just enough elevation to give a nice view of this wonderful hole.  A difficult par 3 playing 218yds from the back tees.  The holes plays to a well bunkered green with nice undulation.

The 15th  here Aronimink is a 499 yard par 4.  The tee shot should carry too small spectacle type bunkers short of the fairway, again these should really not be in play, but are dramatic and intimidating to look at from the tee.  From there the hole is long and uphill to a green protected by greenside bunkers left and right on the front edge, and an additional bunker short left about 30 yards. From the tee position that we played that day it was likely somewhat over 500yds.  That is the first time I have ever played a par 4 of more than 500 yards, I guess I should make note of that in my diary, as someday it may be more common.  But anyway I thought the hole was tough, but still fair it requires too good (and long) shots, but there in not anything overly penal awaiting you.

The 16th hole turns back and parallels the 15th.  A par 5 of 549 yards.  A fairly straightforward hole.

The 17th is a par 3 of 227 yards from the back tees all carry over a lake.  There is a little apron/lay-up area short right, however short and left there is a shaved bank.  Balls hit there will most likely roll back into the lake.  Although the yardage and the lake seem daunting, the green is large in size, and provided you can carry the lake there are pars and even a few birdies to be had here.

The 18th at Aronimink is a 436 yard par 4.  A pretty hole which like #9 which parallels it on the right climbs gradually from the tee box back to the clubhouse.  There are a line of trees well left of the fairway the entire way on the edge of the property coming in, and while the right hand side may seem like a more open and inviting side to favor, the thick deep rough and random stands of trees between the 18th and 9th fairways are no bargain either if you miss over there.  A beautiful green site framed well by bunkers right and left concludes your day here at Aronimink.

Again I look forward to seeing how the course looks and plays for the Senior PGA next year.  I also look forward to seeing how the work is recieved by all of the critics and how it stands the test of time.  I think it will do well.
Instagram: @thequestfor3000

"Time spent playing golf is not deducted from ones lifespan."

"We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2002, 07:48:16 PM »
Paul, et. al.,

I too, never saw the course pre-restoration.  I played there recently and liked what I saw.

From the back tees, I found Aronomink to be a very, very difficult golf course, and can't understand the slope ratings from any of the tees.  They don't come close to representing what the golfer will face.

The club, and individuals in charge are to be congratulated on their efforts.

I also find it interesting that the membership realizes the value of their Donald Ross course and has almost guaranteed its future by requiring a 2/3 vote to make any change.

More clubs should follow their example.

rdoug

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2002, 09:47:40 AM »
I wonder if Martha is going to put Aronimink between the cross hairs..........they are men-only aren't they??  Should the PGA hold an event there is women are not allowed?

Paul Richards

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2002, 01:41:30 PM »
Doesn't anyone on GCA subscribe to Golfweek and have access to a scanner?

???
"Something has to change, otherwise the never-ending arms race that benefits only a few manufacturers will continue to lead to longer courses, narrower fairways, smaller greens, more rough, more expensive rounds, and other mechanisms that will leave golf's future in doubt." -  TFOG

Craig Disher

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2002, 02:15:49 PM »
I have a scanner AND the article. Unfortunately, I left it at the golf course today. I'll scan it in tomorrow if no one else has by then.

Paul Richards

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2002, 02:47:44 PM »
Craig:

that would be wonderful.

thanks!

Daryl "Turboe" Boe

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2002, 07:17:35 PM »
CDisher,

Will you be posting in on this thread?  Or do I need to look elsewhere or get on some email list?

Instagram: @thequestfor3000

"Time spent playing golf is not deducted from ones lifespan."

"We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

Craig Disher

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2002, 06:49:27 AM »
Turboe,
Check this thread about 7PM this evening.

Dave_Miller

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2002, 10:53:48 AM »

I wonder if Martha is going to put Aronimink between the cross hairs..........they are men-only aren't they??  Should the PGA hold an event there is women are not allowed?

rdoug:

Don't know where you get your information but it is incorrect.  Aronimink is not all men in the style of Augusta.

You really ought to check your facts before you make an incorrect accusation.

Best
Dave

rdoug

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2002, 04:53:42 PM »
Oh....my mistake.....I believe it was the lack of black members a few years back that took the course off the PGA list.  They didn't give in like Shoal Creek or Augusta.  Guess they have added a minority member since then.

Brad Klein

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2002, 05:46:47 PM »
rdoug, I sense a little underlying intolerance and bigotry in your comments regarding both race and gender. Perhaps you ought to focus on design issues instead.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:10 PM by -1 »

David Mannherz

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2002, 06:03:31 PM »
Relax fellas! Rdoug was told "to check you facts before making an incorrect accusation." Didn't the 2 question marks he added to his inquiry indicate that he was merely trying to find out? Secondly, how did he exhibit "intolerance" and "bigotry" when he was asking about ethnic and gender-homogeneous clubs? If anything, I think he was voicing an opinion that questioned those practices.

Craig Disher

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2002, 06:09:26 PM »
Here's Brad Klein's article. I wonder if Ron's skill with a pencil made it unnecessary for him to create construction drawings.

Page 1:

Craig Disher

« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2002, 06:12:57 PM »
And page 2:

Dave_Miller

« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2002, 07:17:59 PM »
rdoug:

Once again you speak without facts.  

The issue concerning the 1993 PGA , in reality, had nothing to do with whether Aronimink had black members or not.

The Club simply refused to allow any outside organization to decide, review or scrutinize, its membership policies.  Had the Club permitted this the PGA would have found no problem with the membership or the membership policies of the Club.

The real issue, in my opinion, was that the tournament was not, at the time, well received by the membership.  

There were a considrable number of members who did not want the tournament and were happy to give it back to the PGA.  The level of scrutiny the PGA wanted gave the Club the reason to give up the Tournament.

Aronimink Golf Club, its staff and members have always acted with the utmost of character, honesty and integrity.  I am proud to be able say I am a member for 24 years and counting.

Before you make incorrect allegations it would serve you well to do some real homework and as Pat Mucci says "get the facts"

Best,
Dave

Paul Richards

« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2002, 03:35:23 AM »
Craig:

Thank you so much for posting this. ;)

I have copied it and forwarded it to the members of Beverly's grounds committee.

There are a lot of good lessons to be learned here! :)

ChipOat

« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2002, 04:38:41 AM »
I saw nothing in rdoug's post that was either inappropriate or authoritative.

TEPaul

« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2002, 05:10:58 AM »
These two threads should be next to one another.

Dave_Miller

« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2002, 06:34:58 PM »
Chip:

I saw nothing inappropriate or authoritative in rdoug's post either.

Just totally baseless, incorrect and in disregard of the facts.

Best
Dave

Paul Richards

« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2002, 04:05:17 AM »
Tom:

Actually the reason for this post was to ask someone to post the Bradley Klein Golfweek article, which Craig has done.

I can't wait to get to Aronimink and see the results!

Craig Disher

« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2002, 10:05:04 AM »
Was the construction at Aronomink based completely on Prichard's cool sketches or did he provide McDonald with construction drawings? A combination of both? Anyone familiar with how the work was done? If you want to talk off-line, send me an email.

TEPaul

« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2002, 10:28:42 AM »
What do you mean "how" the work was done?

Ron had to do some of his own interpretations of Ross's bunkering dimensions and Ross's "instructions" because according to Ron some of Ross's bunker placements and "instructions" would not have fit properly on the topography that Ross placed them on and if some of those bunkers had been built to Ross's specs those bunkers could have come out extremely weird--like 30 feet inline with a 10 ft drop in the floor depth! Apparently Donald had done a great job of bunker placement but not that great a job of matching his "construction instructions" to the particular topography of the bunker placement!

But I did watch Ron and a very good MacDonald shaper a number of times!

It was an unbelievably sophisticated and symbiotic process! Ron would tell the shaper; "Go here, do that, do this, no, no, no, I didn't say that, this, I said this, that!"

And Tom Elliott was always on hand generally asking Ron if he was completely sure about his sexuality!

Ron's usual response to that was to say nothing more but to roll his eyes in exasperation! But everything did work out extremely well in the end!

Craig Disher

« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2002, 05:32:43 PM »
You've partially answered what I was asking - while they were constructing the bunkers, did the construction crew follow a topo engineering drawing or did they rely on Ron's freehand sketches? Were engineering drawings even done for the project?

I've never had the chance to observe the interaction between architect and construction crew and am trying to understand the appropriate role of each and the degree of involvement of the architect at the site - not just at Aronomink, but in general.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back