News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

mike_malone

Is it Gullane ?
« on: June 01, 2006, 10:59:09 AM »
 I intend to go to Scotland in Aug. I will probably only play three times. The first three days (one is a Sunday) are in St.Andrews so I hope to get on TOC.

Then we go to Musselburgh for Tuesday through Sat. I have a time at N.Berwick for Wed. Aug. 16 at 12:30.

So, am I on the right track that Gullane is my next best option ?

I prefer "quirk" to "prestige".
AKA Mayday

Tom Roewer

Re: Is it Gullane ?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2006, 11:18:02 AM »
Mayday:  You can't go wrong with Gullane 1.  Some quirk.  Some of the absolute best scenic views anywhere.  A little history with the concrete anti nazi landing structures.  Hope you like it as much as I did.

Richard Pennell

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2006, 11:24:02 AM »
Mayday - I went to Gullane recently for the golf part of a stag do, and we played 2 and 3. Some of the lads had hardly played so we couldn't attempt number 1 but it looked terrific. Number 2 was really nice, such a great setting and fine views from the highest part of the course. Its quite a friendly club, too, I will definitely be going back to play number 1 sometime.

I'd be interested to hear more if you do choose that course.

Cheers

Richard
"The rules committee of the Royal and Ancient are yesterday's men, Jeeves. They simply have to face up to the modern world" Bertie Wooster

Richard Pennell

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2006, 11:24:58 AM »
Forgot to say, Luffness next door looked pretty nice - anyone played there?
"The rules committee of the Royal and Ancient are yesterday's men, Jeeves. They simply have to face up to the modern world" Bertie Wooster

mike_malone

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2006, 11:26:54 AM »
 I should make it clear that I have a nongolfing wife so that I won't travel far from the Edinburgh area for this additional round.
AKA Mayday

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2006, 11:27:19 AM »

I prefer "quirk" to "prestige".

Perhaps you could play N. Berwick again?

mike_malone

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2006, 11:29:02 AM »
 Mark,

I may do that . But I prefer to experience more if possible.
AKA Mayday

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2006, 11:38:01 AM »
Mayday,

By all means play Gullane#1, a great experience.

As an aside, after you and your wife have had dinner, drive up Gullane Hill, park the car and walk across to the seventh tee. You will have a 360 degree view of East Lothian. I am not sure what month I did this with my wife, possibly earlier in the year. The sun had not quite set, but the moon was visible and the sky was ablaze in a reddish glow. We both thought we were in Brigadoon.

Richard,

Luffness is a good course and the dining room sets the tone of the club. Our good friend Rihc Goodale calls it the place for "Muirfield wannabees"... a cruel description for some rather nice people.

Bob

Voytek Wilczak

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2006, 11:56:03 AM »
A little history with the concrete anti nazi landing structures.  

OT:

Anti-nazi?

I doubt that there were many NSDAP (Nazi party) members in German Wehrmacht and Luftwaffe.

I am not picking nits; I am just tired of the notion I see often, namely that WWII was fought by some nebulous "nazis".

It was fought by the German forces; by German army, air force and navy.

On topic - can't go wrong with Gullane #1. It is much better than the neighboring Luffness.

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2006, 12:01:47 PM »
Don't let anyone tell you any differently, now or in the future. It is absolutely 1000% percent Gullane 1. The golf course is awesome, North Berwick twice? No, Gullane deserves to be played to say the least. I love North Berwick, but 1 Gullane and 1 North Berwick will always provide more memories than 2 North Berwick.

redanman

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2006, 12:01:50 PM »
Richard P

I've played Luffness but not Guillane! Not much help comparing.  It is a tough ticket, but I played elsewhere with a member and was invited to play. I personally loved it.  Purported to have the "best greens in Scotland" they were first class, haven't played enough to say they were the best but were as good or better than any others I've played.

Luffness New is billed as a "junior Muirfield", I don't know if  that's the correct comparison, however it's indeed very good. It's on flattish terrain mostly, but has very interesting twists and turns and when I played it the fairway defining hay was rather tall giving a surreal feeling to this seldomly-played course.

Do it if you can swing it.  

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2006, 12:09:33 PM »
A little history with the concrete anti nazi landing structures.  

OT:

Anti-nazi?

I doubt that there were many NSDAP (Nazi party) members in German Wehrmacht and Luftwaffe.

I am not picking nits; I am just tired of the notion I see often, namely that WWII was fought by some nebulous "nazis".

It was fought by the German forces; by German army, air force and navy.

On topic - can't go wrong with Gullane #1. It is much better than the neighboring Luffness.

Only a bit O/T here, but these are the anti-tank structures you are all speaking of...

Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

ForkaB

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2006, 12:11:22 PM »
I'll vote too for Gullane #1 over a 2nd round at North Berwick.  Also try Gullane #2, particularly if you are into quirk.  Finally, don't miss out on Old Musselburgh.  It's a bit rough and ready but has some very good holes and a huge amount of history.  #4 is worth the journey.

PS--Bob H, all the Luffness members I have known are indeed fine people.  As most of them have graduated to Muirfield, I can't really speak for the present generation. :)

BCrosby

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2006, 12:13:45 PM »
Mayday -

Play Gullane by all means, but keep the Gullane to N. Berwick ratio to something like 1 to 5.

Also, Bob's advice about driving to the top of Gullane Hill  with your wife and a bottle of wine should not be ignored.

Bob

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2006, 12:28:05 PM »
Gullane 1 gets my vote as well, assuming you decide not to play North Berwick again.

Luffness is not in the same category as Gullane although still a nice track to play. Another place to try would be Dunbar - holes 1, 2 & 18 are bland but there are some good holes in the stretch between 4 & 17 on the seaward side of the wall.
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2006, 12:33:38 PM »
Mayday,

Richard,

Luffness is a good course and the dining room sets the tone of the club. Our good friend Rihc Goodale calls it the place for "Muirfield wannabees"... a cruel description for some rather nice people.

Bob

Rich,

I meant to add a  ;) to my comment.

Bob

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2006, 12:45:04 PM »
Bob, you softy you. I did not think you would climb up to 7 tee, even from the dead end street for a sunset view of the area. I do love the view and yearn for another day there. I like Luffness as well but it is not in the same conversation with Gullane 1 and North Berwick. I like it as a course to play late in the day when the legs are saying no to Gullane Hill.

mike_malone

« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2006, 01:19:33 PM »
 Ran has a review of Kilspindie and I seem to recall some mention of Longniddry. Any comments?
AKA Mayday

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2006, 01:27:23 PM »
Yes, I have some comments. You are working too hard brother, Gullane is the one for you.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2006, 01:30:49 PM »
Mayday,

Kilspindie is a great little course although not a championship layout it is very quirky and worth a visit if only for the first four holes. Longniddry also very good. Luffness is a super course and although it might not be quite up to Gullane 1 it is in better condition especially the greens which are amongst the best you will find in Britain.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2006, 01:33:47 PM »
Mayday,

Kilspindie is delightful as Ran's profile suggests.  Relatively short, simple and straight-forward, it lacks for quirk with the exception of approaching the blind 17th through a small gap in the stone wall and avoiding the porch of the clubhouse while attempting to drive the green on the 260 yards finishing hole.

That said, it's a wonderful glimpse into a modest local club and an opportunity to enjoy some fresh air hard by the shore and make a few birdies along the way.  

I loved it and prize my copy of the club history, but would not recommend it for one of three rounds during your trip.  It was perfect in my rota as I played there in the a.m. and at North Berwick's West Links that afternoon.  It was a splendid day with a 75 and 78 carded.  Likely the last time I'll ever walk and carry 36 holes in a day.  

I'll try to post some pics.

Kindest regards,

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

John_Cullum

« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2006, 01:47:03 PM »
I thought the town of Gullane was one of the nicest small towns I saw in Scotland. It was very clean, and there was a very nice butcher shop just across and down from the Gullane Golf Shop. The hotel and food there was very good and the peolpe were most accomodating. I could live quite comfortably in Gullane.
Raynor was a hack

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2006, 02:00:19 PM »
I thought the town of Gullane was one of the nicest small towns I saw in Scotland. It was very clean, and there was a very nice butcher shop just across and down from the Gullane Golf Shop. The hotel and food there was very good and the peolpe were most accomodating. I could live quite comfortably in Gullane.

Seconded - has anyone read Curtis Gillespie's "Playing Through"? His account of living in Gullane for a year, the idea presumably taken from Lorne Rubenstein's "A Season in Dornoch".
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

Darren_Kilfara

« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2006, 02:25:00 PM »
I think Luffness is pretty close to Gullane #1 - its best holes are possibly even a shade better than Gullane's best, even if the overall package isn't quite as good.

Mayday - if you want a game at Dunbar, give me a call (I became a member there a month ago) and hopefully I can sort something out. Not quite in the same league as Gullane or Luffness or North Berwick, but it's close and a lot of fun beside. (Andrew - #18 at Dunbar bland???)

Cheers,
Darren

Jim_Coleman

« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2006, 02:42:19 PM »
    Mikey, word to the wise: pronounce it correctly when you're there.  True story.  Played in a mixed event at Gullane #2 with my wife twenty years ago.  Hooked up with a member and his wife.  I asked if the proper pronunciation was "Gillan" or "Gullan."  His answer, "Only you Americans who are trying to impress pronounce it 'Gillan.'  We here pronounce it 'Gullan.'"
    By the way, #1 is awesome!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back