News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matt_Ward

Links Magazine Rates the NY Metro Area ?
« on: May 12, 2006, 04:07:21 PM »
I'm out in California now -- and had the opportunity to read the US Open preview issue from Links. Give the mag plenty of credit in wading ahead with its assessment of the greater NYC area but the results one sees in the various headings makesmy head spin with a bit of confusion.

For example -- the second best public course is Hominy Hill in Colts Neck, NJ. Surely, they jest !

There are a range of other comments and findings and I'll opine on them when time permits.

Be very much interested if people have read the issue and what comments they might have.

cary lichtenstein

Re:Links Magazine Rates the NY Metro Area ?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2006, 04:48:33 PM »
Matt:

I read the article twice looking for how they rated Matt Ward and not a word ;D

Sorry, I could resist

Cary
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Matt_Ward

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2006, 08:27:35 PM »
Cary:

What's equally amazing / ignorant, call it what one may, is the fact that The Stanwich Club was listed as the #2 Westchester / Fairfield County golf option.

The Stanwich is a fine William & David Gordon design but to say such layouts like Fenway and a host of others are below it is a major league stretch. Stanwich is clearly demanding -- but from the pure architectural mirror it doesn't cast that high of a reflection IMHO.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2006, 08:38:32 PM »
Matt Ward,

I'd agree.

I think the slope rating overrides the architecture when comparing other clubs.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2006, 08:41:46 PM »
Pat:

Check out the Jersey listing that was offered. Glad to see Essex County CC get some additional light but I can't see the likes of Ridgewood being ahead of Plainfield. IMHO, PV and Plainfield are easily #1 & #2 in Jersey and the drop-off to #3 is a good bit more than the spread between #3 & #4.

michael_j_fay

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2006, 12:21:05 PM »
Having played a very good chunk of the Fairfield County/Westchester County venues I am seriously puzzled how Stanwich can make the top 20.

Stanwich is hard, hard, hard and probably a 2-3 on the memorability scale. It isn't even the best course in Greenwich.

Westchester County has one of the finest collection of golf courses anywhere in the US. Quaker Ridge, the Feet, Wykagyl, Westchester, etc...Stanwich is fully a step below any of these.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back