News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom MacWood

Re: Bedford Springs Resort
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2011, 11:27:15 AM »
This what I have on Bedford Springs:

* the original course dates back to the 1895 designed by a fellow named Oldham. The course was supposedly 18-holes and 6000+ yards. I've not been able to confirm this info and I have my doubts about both claims.

* in 1912, according to the commonly told story today, Tilly was brought in and produced a nine hole course to replace the old 18. I have not been able to confirm Tilly's involvement and it seems too early for him IMO. Besides his early architectural activities were very well documented and there is no mention of Bedford.

* in September 1909 American Golfer reported Barker was laying out a new course for Bedford Springs.

* a June 1910 advertisement for BS in Town & Country says that a new 18-hole course is under construction

* an August 1911 article in the Philadelphia Inquirer reports a golf tournament at BS is now in progress on 'the big course'

* a June 9, 1912 article in the Philadelphia Inquirer reports the 18-hole course, which was laid out last summer, had made good progress and eventually will be one of the best courses in the East

* in June 1912 advertisement in American Golfer mentions the new golf links

Based on the timing of events I think it is pretty clear the 1912 course was laid out by Barker, not Tilly, and it was 18 holes not nine. It appears the course was designed in 1909-1910 and opened in 1911.

Mike Cirba

« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2011, 11:38:30 AM »
Tom,

What do you have on Ross's involvement?   Thanks.

Tom MacWood

« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2011, 11:45:33 AM »
I know Ross redesigned the course in the 1920s, and it must have been a pretty significant redesign because he listed the course as a new course as opposed to a remodel. I have no idea what he may have retained from the 1911 eighteen.

Mike Cirba

« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2011, 03:01:25 PM »
Tom,

In the first part of the 20th century, Bedford Springs was only nine holes.   If Oldham or anyone built another 9, it was sometime after 1905.

DMoriarty

« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2011, 03:12:16 PM »
Tom,

In the first part of the 20th century, Bedford Springs was only nine holes.   If Oldham or anyone built another 9, it was sometime after 1905.

There seems to be a map above from 1895 of an 18 hole course, and someone posted a photo of what they say was the 17th hole on the 1895 course.  It may be that there wasn't a 18 hole course,  but it would be a heck of a lot more productive if you would occasionally explain the basis for these know-it-all statements such as this one above.
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

Mike Cirba

« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2011, 03:25:08 PM »
David,

News ads for the Bedford Springs Resort in 1905 spoke of the finest nine hole golf course around.   They are easily available on Google News search and I'm not vested enough in the results to go through the trouble of cutting and pasting them.

I'm interested in the findings, but not about to get dragged into another attribution battle.   Thanks.

DMoriarty

« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2011, 03:57:11 PM »
David,

News ads for the Bedford Springs Resort in 1905 spoke of the finest nine hole golf course around.   They are easily available on Google News search and I'm not vested enough in the results to go through the trouble of cutting and pasting them.

I'm interested in the findings, but not about to get dragged into another attribution battle.   Thanks.

How difficult would it have been to say that in your first post, rather than just throwing it out there as fact without basis?   

The condition of the course in 1905 doesn't necessarily speak to whether it was built to 18 holes in 1895, so your conclusion about how any additional holes must have come after 1905 is a bit premature.
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2011, 05:26:25 PM »
FWIW - I think the recent work on the course was VERY successful.  I completely enjoyed my round at Bedford Springs last year and highly recommend it to anybody.

Mike Cirba

« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2011, 10:24:38 AM »
I've learned that Tillinghast wrote a pamphlet in 1917 called "Planning a Golf Course" and that included were drawings and descriptions of holes he created or reconstructed.

There includes a drawing of the 2nd hole at Bedford Springs, that has been named "Little Tilly" over the years.   

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2011, 10:36:49 AM »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Mike Cirba

« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2011, 11:36:35 AM »
Here's the relevant portion of Tillinghast's 1917 booklet, courtesy of Phil Young;

Tom MacWood

« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2011, 02:01:58 PM »
Those drawings appeared in the magazine The Golf Course, and I suspect that is where the confusion came from. Tilly must have redesigned that hole some time around 1916-17; it is extemely unlikely he is repsonsible for the new 18 built in 1910-11. In fact he never listed the course on his resume.

Mike Cirba

« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2011, 02:07:16 PM »
Tom,

I don't know...I'll see what more I can find out.

I agree he's unlikely to have designed 18 based on what we know, but wasn't he credited for contracting the course to nine holes?   I guess that's still possible, yes?

When was the magazine you mentioned published?

Tom MacWood

« Reply #38 on: May 05, 2011, 05:00:20 PM »
The story has been he reduced the course from 18 to 9 in 1912, which is obviously wrong. The course was actually expanded in 1911-1912. Its possible Tilly contracted the course at some point, but I have not been able to find much on the course between 1913 and when Ross redesigned it around 1923. That magazine ran from 1916 to 1921.

JNagle

« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2011, 09:10:58 PM »
The information that we have and had available to us during the restoration is contrary to the article discussed.  We had access to photographs and postcards not available to the public at that time (private ownership).  Knowing the property as we do and as well as witnessing first hand the features from the 1895 golf course it certainly can be confirmed that the course was 18 holes.  The written information (gathered from individuals that caddied and played the course prior to Ross' involvement) clearly states the course was nine holes at that time.  We were able to map the routing based on the descriptions given and those descriptions fit perfectly with the routing that we were familiar with and match up with Tillie's writings on the par 3.  The photographs and post cards provide a glimpse of the property and identify key landforms on the course that exist to this day.  I can only confirm what we know through the documents we viewed and some of which now hang in the Resort. 
It's not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or the doer of deeds could have done better.  The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; .....  "The Critic"

Tom MacWood

« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2011, 11:20:10 PM »
JN
So based on this new evidence found in American Golfer, Town & Country, NY Times and Phila Inquirer what is your view of who did what and when?

JNagle

« Reply #41 on: May 06, 2011, 08:29:45 AM »
All we can say from the articles is that there are some missing links in the records at the Resort.  There is little doubt that the original course was 18 holes, postcard images from 1896 confirm the layout.  The question regarding Barker or Tillie would be to confirm the drawing in Tillie's book.  Is it a writing of his design or commenting on another designers layout? 
It's not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or the doer of deeds could have done better.  The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; .....  "The Critic"

Mike Cirba

« Reply #42 on: May 06, 2011, 09:27:52 AM »
Jim,

Hope all is well.

Are you saying that the course Ross revamped in the 20s was nine holes at the time?

Thanks!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back