News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael Dugger

Traverse City golf (please comment local guys!)
« on: April 24, 2006, 06:27:59 PM »
So a couple of my friends are making a trip to the Traverse City area to play golf and I told them I would start a thread here to gather some "informed" data.

At this juncture they are talking Treetops and Bay Harbor.  I already mentioned they really ought to check out High Pointe which seemed to go over well.  They are intrigued it is Doak's first solo effort.  I told them I had heard nothing but bad regarding Bay Harbor.  I dropped a Sandpines on them, mentioning it was a wasted opportunity.   :D

What are the two best layouts at Treetops?  I see they have like 5 courses now!!!

What else is a must see in that area?  They have already done a basic internet search, thus I turn to the esteemed treehouse to get the dirt from the trenches!!

Thanks guys

« Last Edit: April 25, 2006, 06:53:38 PM by Michael Dugger »
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Jim Thompson

Re:Traverse City golf
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2006, 07:15:10 PM »
Michael,

For me The Treetops course break out like this:

1- Fazio Course - although not a regular fan of his work this is mt favorite of his courses and my fav at Treetops.  GREAT for matchplay gambling games!

2- ThreeTops-  At least iyou can see what you're hitting at!

3-  Jones Signature -  This is what happens when people try to hard to make character.  The topo of the finished course is so goofy Engh should be the only man considered for a renovation.

4-  Smith Course -  I have never gotten this course either.  I have been known to say that if this were my signature course I'd change my name.  a steady diet of downhill tee shot to uphill approach to blind green.  Stimulating????

5- the new walking course - haven't played yet but looked good from the road.

Bay Harbor - Be sure to play the Links and then the Quarry. The Preserve is nothing special.  This is pretty fun and the lake is always a nice touch.

We all know about the well known places to visit, Kingsley Club, Arcadia, Crystal Downs, High Pointe etc...  So here are a couple of dark horses:  Hidden River is a great architectural job, in fact it led us to seek Bruce for his job with us!  Definitely worth the trip up to Brutus.  Forest Dunes is a nice round as is Black Forest.

Cheers!

JT
Jim Thompson

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2006, 07:18:08 PM »
Arcadia Bluffs is public and a "must play"

Kingsley is private and if you can get an invite, it is a must play

Crystal Downs is ultra private, so if you promise a member to crawl on your hands and knees thru broken glass, maybe you can get an invite

Treetops I would pass on, High Pointe has an excellent back 9, Bay Harbor, i haven't played but looks good, True North is open to the public I think and if you haven't played a Jim Engh course, you should play it

The Bear is not worth playing

Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Michael Dugger

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2006, 07:34:32 PM »
Kingsley is private, correct?  How hard is it to get on?  

How far is Arcadia from Traverse City?

Someone tell me more about this Engh course.

thx

What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

ed_getka

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2006, 08:15:17 PM »
Arcadia Bluffs
High Pointe

Private:
 Kingsley Club
 Crystal Downs

If they are driving up from Chicago, I always recommend checking out Lost Dunes by Doak. Private

If they are passing through the Grand Rapids area, The Mines by Mike DeVries is certainly worth a look. Public
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Brian_Sleeman

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2006, 10:01:30 PM »
If they're heading to Hidden River Golf & Casting Club (which I'd also recommend as a quiet hidden gem worth playing), then they should stop by the Douglas Lake steakhouse and bar.  It's a little on the pricy side but great food in a tucked-away, great place.

Don Dinkmeyer

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2006, 10:02:30 PM »
Kingsley is private, correct?  How hard is it to get on?  

How far is Arcadia from Traverse City?

thx

A little more than an hour, depending on what part of TC. M-22 has had bad delays with construction that would lengthen it but I believe its about wrapped up.

Bill Weber

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2006, 05:14:45 AM »
Try Belvedere Golf Club 5731 Marion Center Road Charlevoix, MI 49720, an old course has hosted the MI Am.
True North I have heard is worthwhile and the surrounding area is worth a visit anyway. Engh isn't a favorite here but I for one love his work.
Black Lake would be a hike but also well worth the time to get there.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2006, 05:15:53 AM by bill weber »

Peter Pratt

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2006, 01:31:32 PM »
High Pointe, Arcadia Bluffs, Treetops (Smith), Black Forest are my favorite public courses in the area.

David Neveux

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2006, 02:32:35 PM »
Mike,

I would make every effort to play Arcadia Bluffs, surely you won't be dissappointed.  Obviously the Kingsly Club and Crystal Downs if you could swing it.  As far as Treetops goes, threetops (par 3 course) is a lot of fun especially if the group likes to gamble.  You can play your own version of the tylenol par 3 shootout.  Darkhorse : Hawks Eye in Bellaire.

D.P.N  

Dan_Lucas

Re:Traverse City golf (please comment local guys!)
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2006, 08:10:30 PM »
The owner here at Kingsley has just given the OK to some increase in guest rounds. There has been no PR done here so that seems the best way to spread the word.

I'm sure accomodations can be made through the pro shop.

Dan_Lucas

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2006, 08:21:26 PM »
By the way, my vote would be Crystal Downs, Kingsley, Belvedere for sure. Forest Dunes, Arcadia, High Pointe next.

At Treetops Fazio and Smith Signature.

If driving to Bay Harbor I would rather play the Heather (RTJ Sr.) at Boyne Highlands.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2006, 02:55:39 AM »
I would second Dan's list but in a slightly different order.   ;)

MDugger:  Treetops is 1 1/2 hours NE of Traverse City and Bay Harbor is 2 hours N.  It would be very useful for your friends to have a map locating the various golf courses because it really does matter what order you schedule them in.  

Belvedere is open to the public in the shoulder seasons but tough to get on in mid-summer when the members are in town.  It's in Charlevoix about 45 min. north of Traverse City.  As it is on the way to Bay Harbor and about half the price, I may never see the latter again.

High Pointe has an all new staff this spring, I haven't met any of them yet so I don't know what to expect.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back