News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom Huckaby

Re:Golf Club Membership Question
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2006, 04:38:28 PM »
Tim - whereas I'd put Valley Club on the shortest of short lists of places I'd die to be a member at...well... does he really want cross-country travel to be a part of this?

As great as it is also, well... it's not the type of club that would overly impress most clients... Oh it would impress the hell out of architecture aficionados and the right type of golf nut... but overtly luxurious it ain't... and I mean that as a compliment the way I see things...

I believe we need to know more the man's purpose to give a really effective answer here.  Impressing clients is a whole different matter from enjoying architecturally-brilliant golf, sadly.

TH

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2006, 04:38:29 PM »
I like the Valley Club idea--MacKenzie, Doak, Santa Barbara--sounds like a winner to me.  

Valley Club made Fred Couples twitch in the wind for two years before they let him join, and he lives in Santa Barbara.
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Sean Leary

« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2006, 04:41:26 PM »
I like the Valley Club idea--MacKenzie, Doak, Santa Barbara--sounds like a winner to me.  

Valley Club made Fred Couples twitch in the wind for two years before they let him join, and he lives in Santa Barbara.

Pete,

I think it is "used to live" at this point isn't it? I heard he gave up the estate...

How about Old Sandwich?

Jonathan Cummings

« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2006, 04:55:46 PM »
With even modest connections - you could get into Burning Tree tomorrow.  They are quietly interested in "staffing up".

Raphael_Larson

« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2006, 04:59:36 PM »
All I can say is that your guy must be a good negotiator to have a $500K golf membership as part of an employment package!

Having been friends with this guy for many years, I can honestly say I've never met someone with more good fortune.  If I gave more details (which I've promised not to), you wouldn't believe the sweet deal he has.  But I must say, it couldn't have happened to a nicer more humble guy (except me of course).   ;)

It sounds like Sebonac, Ballyneal, Kinloch, Friar's Head, and Yeamans Hall should all merit serious consideration.  I'm just excited to be able to "help" him make such a fun decision.

A bit more background information: He will be using the club for both business and pleasure.  He is married and just had his first child, so a family-style destination nearby will no doubt be appreciated in the future.  

Thanks for all the comments, feel free to offer more.    

Tim Pitner

« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2006, 05:06:44 PM »
Tom and Pete,

You're right, the Valley Club might not be the best suggestion to meet his needs and it might be difficult to get into.  Not knowing where this man travels or with whom he does business, I looked at the question mostly from the perspective of "where would I want to spend time and play golf?"  Santa Barbara and the Valley Club came up quickly for me.  If we're sticking closer to his home and ruling out the Shinnecock's and NGLA's of this world, Friar's Head seems like a pretty good suggestion.  Wait a minute, he said Long Island would be difficult.  I don't know.  What a question.

Raphael_Larson

« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2006, 05:21:42 PM »
If we're sticking closer to his home and ruling out the Shinnecock's and NGLA's of this world, Friar's Head seems like a pretty good suggestion.  Wait a minute, he said Long Island would be difficult.  I don't know.  What a question.

I'm hoping that with a loud enough chorus for Long Island on this thread, he may be able to do it.  

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2006, 05:23:05 PM »
SEBONAC!!!!

FRIAR'S HEAD!!!!!!!

SHINNECOCK HILLS!!!!!!!

NATIONAL GOLF LINKS!!!!!!!

MAIDSTONE!!!!!!!

Just trying to help out, Raphael.

;D

Raphael_Larson

« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2006, 05:48:22 PM »
SEBONAC!!!!

FRIAR'S HEAD!!!!!!!

SHINNECOCK HILLS!!!!!!!

NATIONAL GOLF LINKS!!!!!!!

MAIDSTONE!!!!!!!

Just trying to help out, Raphael.

;D

Thanks Tom.  Your chorus sounds like the holy week equivalent to the Hallelujah Chorus to me.   ;D  

David Kelly

« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2006, 05:51:37 PM »
If he is using the club for business forget:

Desert Forest
The Valley Club
Yeamans Hall
Austin Golf Club
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

JESII

« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2006, 05:53:22 PM »
Trouble with Long Island is that 500K won't get you a locker at Sebonac and three of the other four don't much care about it. I have no idea of the deal at Friars Head.

John Kirk

« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2006, 05:55:15 PM »
If you don't mind me asking Raphael, why the trepidation about a club on Long Island?

The club he chooses also depends on whether he wants a place to play in the winter, so he can play golf year-round.  That limits the number of really good options.

John_Cullum

« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2006, 06:14:03 PM »
I really don't like the place, but Ocean Forest fits the bill perfectly. 12 month a year golf and reasonably accessible, Sea Island is a great place to bring clients and family, and Ocean Forest is well maintained and has an exclusive feel to it that would impress most people.
Raynor was a hack

Raphael_Larson

« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2006, 06:14:50 PM »
If you don't mind me asking Raphael, why the trepidation about a club on Long Island?

The person making the offer apparently doesn't like the Hamptons' snobbery (although he owns a house there).  The one course he mentioned that he didn't want my friend to join was Shinnecock.  My friend took Shinnecock to mean anywhere in Eastern Long Island.  When told this, I responded that Shinnecock was probably out of the question anyway but that Sebonac and Friar's Head are new clubs that may have a very different feel than a 100+ year old club like Shinnecock.  Moreover, Shinnecock may be very different than the Hamptons generally.

My friend grew up in Queens and his parents still live there, so a Long Island club would be convenient.  Personally, I think he could still do Long Island but politically it may be more difficult than a club elsewhere.

Paul Carey

« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2006, 07:06:57 PM »
If he is a golfer and wants to join a golf club in the DC area then Four Streams is the answer.  Great golf, great members etc. RTJ is a great clubhouse and Burning Tree is a very special place but the place for golfers is Four Streams.  

If he wants to drive down 95 then kinloch is the place for him.

Bill Gayne

« Reply #40 on: April 14, 2006, 07:25:34 PM »
The Olde Farm in Bristol, VA.

Andrew Cunningham

« Reply #41 on: April 14, 2006, 07:49:58 PM »
As previously mentioned Forest Creek in Pinehurst would be a perfect club for your friend.  One of the best 36 hole facilities I have had the pleasure of visiting.  On the West coast take a look at Mayacama.  Arguably one of Jack's best, Mayacama has all the amenities and more that one would expect for that kind of money.  Your friend would fit right in.  Good luck.

Andrew

Jason Blasberg

« Reply #42 on: April 14, 2006, 08:49:35 PM »
We should all have such problems :P

I find this entire thread inane, anyone in the position to join most of the clubs mentioned on this thread needs no advice and if they do they shouldn't join b/c they don't know what they're looking for and so would not appreciate the privilege anyway.  

Now, back to the Golf Course Architecture . . .  

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #43 on: April 14, 2006, 08:54:47 PM »
Am I missing something here? Are there no waiting lists at the clubs mentioned? If you waved a half a million dollars at the Admissions Committee at MPCC it would avail you nothing. There are 135 applicants on the waiting list and as only about twenty five memberships are sold a year, it can take five years to get in.

Bob

HamiltonBHearst

« Reply #44 on: April 14, 2006, 08:57:41 PM »

Does your friend understand the difference between elite and expensive?  

A problem with the atmosphere at SH?  Wouldn't some of the new, expensive, not yet elite clubs on the eastern end of Long Island be very happy if they wound up with a golfing atmosphere like SH in a few years?  

Everyone raves about Friars Head, how will that atmosphere be different in ten years?  Should Sebonac try to create the atmosphere at SH, or National or that other "elite" east end club the "bridge".

Jason Blasberg

« Reply #45 on: April 14, 2006, 09:02:16 PM »
Raphael:

I've got your solution, with no waiting list but one hell of a waiting line.  Have your "friend" take the 500k and buy an RV and park it in the parking lot at Bethpage Black.  Make sure your'e there by 3 or 4 in the afternoon the day before for weekend play and you'll have $40 green fees at a world class tract and the most comfortable night sleep in the lot!

Jason
« Last Edit: April 14, 2006, 09:05:29 PM by Jason Blasberg »

HamiltonBHearst

« Reply #46 on: April 14, 2006, 09:02:42 PM »

Mr. Huntley

You are missing something. There are no waiting lists at the clubs that have been built over the last ten years for high price tags and high initiation fees.  Depending on who you are, long waits exist at the more "moderately" priced NY area choices.

Andrew Summerell

« Reply #47 on: April 14, 2006, 09:02:57 PM »
Am I missing something here? Are there no waiting lists at the clubs mentioned? If you waved a half a million dollars at the Admissions Committee at MPCC it would avail you nothing. There are 135 applicants on the waiting list and as only about twenty five memberships are sold a year, it can take five years to get in.

5 year waiting list is good. NSWGC (nowhere near as exclusive as any of the clubs mentioned) has a 12 year waiting list for full membership.

I would assume many of the clubs mentioned so far would have similar waiting lists, unless they control the amount of applicants to those whom they really want as members.

Jason Blasberg

« Reply #48 on: April 14, 2006, 09:08:32 PM »
My last contribution to this ridiculous thread . . .make sure you're friend's got about 200k to give to Uncle Sam for taxes at the end of the year his benefactor plops down 500k for him, yes folks, it's income!    

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #49 on: April 14, 2006, 09:43:13 PM »
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the national membership at Hidden Creek. It's significantly less than 500K, offers limited play at 24 rounds/year with very reasonable annual dues and is certainly convenient. His boss could buy a corporate condo in Atlantic City for the difference and let him use it.

Does anyone know if Galloway offers a similar membership?

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back