News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bob_Huntley

Carmel Valley Ranch
« on: May 10, 2006, 01:33:04 PM »
CV Ranch golf course is closing for seven months for an extensive "renovation." I am not sure if Pete Dye is involved.

Bob

Tom Huckaby

Re:Carmel Valley Ranch
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2006, 01:49:30 PM »
Interesting... haven't they gone through this once already, though?

Talk about a problematic golf course...

Oh well.  The next incarnation will be interesting to see, I'm sure.

TH

David_Tepper

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2006, 01:58:25 PM »
Mr. H. -

Do you know if this closure for renovation was something that had been planned for some time or was it caused by erosion damage from this winter's heavy rains?

DT

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2006, 02:10:30 PM »
Interesting. I'm thinking of a fall trip to the area and was considering CVR.

From www.cvrgolf.com

March 11, 2006

Since the acquisition of Wyndham International by The Blackstone Group in August of last year, Carmel Valley Ranch has been the focus of much attention by the LXR management team. Every part of the resort and club is being evaluated to better understand the challenges and opportunities that exist at The Ranch. There is wide spread belief among the LXR team that Carmel Valley Ranch can reestablish its reputation as the premier resort and club in the Monterey Peninsula. We will share with you all the changes proposed for Carmel Valley Ranch in the future, but we would like to focus in on what opportunities we feel exist at The Club.

Back in January, the Advisory Committee met with members of the LXR team assembled to evaluate the club membership program in its entirety. Members of the committee openly expressed their desire to see the club return to its once prestigious position and offered us many suggestions as to what necessary improvements must be made in dining, recreations, and guest service levels. Overall, it was a very positive discussion that allowed the LXR team to better understand where the focus must be to improve the club membership experience.

In turn, the LXR team agreed with many of the opinions and suggestions and is in the process of creating an extensive recommendations report that will include:

* Recommendations on the membership categories and options
    * Recommendations on the number of memberships offered
    * Recommendations on the reduction of the sell list
    * Recommendations on improvements necessary to the club and associated facilities.

LXR has employed the services of Dennis Hillier with Greenberg Traurig Law Offices to assist us with the recommendation report. Dennis’ specializes in the development of club membership programs and has worked on numerous membership programs to include The Preserve, Tehama, Pasadera and Cordevalle clubs. Much of the information we are using to understand the demand for club memberships in the market and what programs are necessary to make a club attractive to potential members is being pulled from Dennis’ experience with these clubs.

We have also been in contact with Gene Bates of Bates Golf Design Group to evaluate the golf course with specific emphasis on the existing drainage, and irrigation systems. Gene has worked with Fred Couples on a number of designs including San Juan Oaks. A recommendations report from Gene is forthcoming on what improvements should be made.

The LXR team is committed to returning Carmel Valley Ranch to the destination resort and private club it once was. The membership has also provided valuable insight to the challenges that exist and the terrific opportunities to reinvigorate the club experience. We look forward to providing you the details of the recommendations on the club membership program and the improvements and enhancements the resort will undertake in the coming months.
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2006, 02:27:36 PM »
Steve,

Thank you for your input.

The lawyer responsible for the hopeful upgrading of the Ranch was involved with Tehama. Where the promise of getting your initiation fee back upon resigning from the Club was held up as a sign of good faith by the owner, this was shattered by a fifty percent haircut when sellers actually left. A great deal of bad feelings were caused then and exist to this day.

Many years ago I a joined a local club that had members and play from its hotel guests and at times, the public at large. I learned a valuable lesson then about joining quassi private clubs....don't.

Bob

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2006, 02:38:56 PM »
Bob, They sure would benefit from losing that road in the middle of the front nine. We can only hope they make better use of the varied land.

Also,

Why do you suppose they left Tehama? Could it have been because of all things, the architecture? Or, is there just a crowd of sheep who are steadfastly looking for the bigger better deal?

Tim Leahy

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2006, 02:42:19 PM »
It sounds like they want to turn it completely private from a resort. I don't see how they can compete with the other private courses in the area. I loved the back side with the changes in elevation, natural trees, and great views of Carmel Valley. But the front side was cramped and not that interesting, I hit alot of irons off tees and I'm not a real long hitter and I don't see anywhere for them to extend the holes or make them more interesting.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2006, 02:50:58 PM »
Tim,

Pete Dye told Landmark he could make a really good nine-holer there. They were not interested and 18 holes were built. Just a few years ago Pete came back and rectified some of the more disturbing features of the original which improved the course somewhat. It would not score highly on the Doak Index.

Any season with a high rainfall makes the driving range look like an Olympic sailing venue.

Bob

PThomas

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2006, 02:56:06 PM »
Doak gave it a 4, Bob
197 played, only 3 to go!!

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2006, 04:11:09 PM »
The course needs a redo in a big way. However double barrel homed fairways do create limitations on many of the holes.

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2006, 04:28:23 PM »
Tiger,

If you had any idea of the shenanigans that went on during the permitting process at CV Ranch you could write a novel.

The biggest obstacle was water, but they hired a hydrologist who discovered a 'phantom' acquifer' that was not a part of the Carmel River complex. Now if you can believe that then what follows gets wierder.

One of the then Monterey County Supervisors was in the pockets of the developers and was voted out of office into obscurity.

More to follow.

Bob

Brian Marion

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2006, 04:43:39 PM »
Interesting. I'm thinking of a fall trip to the area and was considering CVR.

Don't, go here instead if you can:

http://www.pasadera.com/

Aidan Bradley

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2006, 04:51:36 PM »
Here is my CVR offering.

ET

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2006, 06:04:24 PM »
Approximately15 yrs. ago my wife and I won a trip to CVR. My advice is: return it to how it was, forget the golf. The scenery, service, food.clubhouse atmosphere, accomodations,  was the best. I'll always remember the deer grazing in front of our room. I know Landmark owned it then.  ET

Brian_Sleeman

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2006, 06:44:49 PM »
My wife and I stayed at CVR during our honeymoon this past January.  I never played the course, but the accomodations were nice and I liked being a short drive from the Monterey Peninsula.  It was also much warmer there than it was on the coast, and I'd definitely consider it during a return trip if it's still a resort...

Lynn_Shackelford

« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2006, 08:34:28 PM »
Wasn't part of the past attraction tennis?  And when tennis died in the early 80's, it impacted CVR.
It must be kept in mind that the elusive charm of the game suffers as soon as any successful method of standardization is allowed to creep in.  A golf course should never pretend to be, nor is intended to be, an infallible tribunal.
               Tom Simpson

David_Tepper

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2006, 09:24:53 PM »
Lynn S. -

You may be thinking of John Gardiner's Tennis Ranch, which was/is also in Carmel Valley. It was/is in no way affiliated with the Carmel Valley Ranch development. CVR does have its own tennis facilities.

DT  
« Last Edit: May 10, 2006, 09:25:30 PM by David_Tepper »

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2006, 11:48:28 PM »
Lyn,

There was an active tennis program at the Ranch but the real stuff was out at John Gardiner's Tennis Ranch about five miles further into the Valley.

Gardiner's was an absolute delight. My kids went to tennis camp there and the setting was divine. Lots of flowers and sunshine. The dining was superb. It was a haven for the Hollywood crowd.

John died and his widow sold out to a crowd from Dallas. Not sure what has happened since.

Bob

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back