News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

bodgeblack

Wentworth West - Course Changes
« on: May 10, 2006, 07:39:07 AM »
I am looking forward to the European Tour's flagship event, the BMW Championship, at the end of this month.

I know Ernie Els has been tinkering (lengthening) the Wentworth West course but can't find too much info. regarding the changes.

Can anyone point me in the right direction of an article on the changes or elaborate on your personal thoughts about the changes...are they good...is it Europe's Augusta, to be forever modified?

Cheers

Jamie

Kevin Pallier

Re:Wentworth West - Course Changes
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2006, 07:54:45 AM »
Jamie,

Just adding length certainly isn't going to make Wentworth a better course IMO it's one of the most overrated golf courses I've played despite being a fan of the vast majority of Colt's works.

I've only read snippets here and there and believe Els has also added about 20-30 bunkers. Overkill ?

What I read recently on golf365.com:
"The opening hole can never be called an "easy" hole, but Els has gone to work straightaway with a bunker either side of a fairway which he considered "maybe a bit too generous. It will just ask the golfer a few more questions, which I think is good".

There is more sand around the green too and so it goes on, with only one hole left totally alone - the short 14th.

The biggest changes in length come at the long fourth, which has had 54 yards added, and the par-four sixth, where the new tee is actually on the adjoining East Course and adds 67 yards."

henrye

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2006, 12:43:17 PM »
Just adding length certainly isn't going to make Wentworth a better course IMO it's one of the most overrated golf courses I've played despite being a fan of the vast majority of Colt's works.

I don't really understand the negative sentiment surrounding Wentworth West.  I think it is an absolutely wonderful course with its mix of heath, parkland and woodlands.  While many here may prefer a few of its neighbouring courses (Sunningdale & Swinley to name 2), Wentworth is the more difficult test and probably better suited for a pro tournament.

The issues I have with Wentworth, and I assume other here feel as well, is that the course is a bit of a 'golf factory'.  It's green fees are very very high and the atmosphere with its castle/fort like clubhouse is a bit gaudy.  Wentworth is more targeted to the daily fee golfer, even though it has members and while a number of the other private clubs allow outside play, they are more focussed on the membership.

All in all, the Wentworth experience has its negatives, but I don't think the golf course is one of them.

Philip Gawith

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2006, 02:16:19 PM »
I think if you go to www.ernieels.com you will find info. He writes a weekly note and a few weeks back wrote about the work he had done.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2006, 06:12:15 PM »
Jamie a recent (current?) edition of UK magazine, Golf International, had Ernie’s hole by hole guide to the changes.  I looked it over in a bookshop and it seemed pretty thorough.  It’s not yet on their website but you could contact then via

http://www.golfinternationalmag.co.uk/index.html
Let's make GCA grate again!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back