News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Raphael_Larson

Golf Club Membership Question
« on: April 14, 2006, 10:57:14 AM »
I'm in search of some country club membership advice for a friend.  Here are my not so hypothetical circumstances:

A friend has received an offer of funding for membership in any elite club he desires (and can get into).  The offer is for an initiation fee of up to $500k and subsequent dues.  My friend is currently a member at a full service club in the DC area so he does not necessarily need a convenient club but instead can indulge in a destination or prestigious club.  

My questions for the treehouse is this:  

What would you recommend to my friend?  Keeping in mind that he is not a GCA aficionado but does appreciate a good golf hole when he sees it.  Also, travel is not an issue so the entire country is an option but something in the Mid-Atlantic and/or Tri-State area may be preferrable.  However, much to my chagrin, eastern Long Island could be a tough (but maybe not impossible) sell to the party making the offer.

How difficult is it to gain membership to the super elite courses?  My friend is incredibly well connected and can likely reach out to a member or to someone with ties to most of the great U.S. courses.

As a friend who will undoubtedly receive guest benefits wherever he joins, I'm lobbying hard for him to join somewhere great.  However, I really have no idea if it's even possible to join someplace like Sand Hills, NGLA or Winged Foot.  

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  
« Last Edit: April 14, 2006, 10:57:53 AM by Raphael_Larson »

Steve_ Shaffer

Re:Golf Club Membership Question
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2006, 11:09:25 AM »
There are many "elite clubs" that offer a national membership with limited playing privileges for much less than 500K.

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Brad Klein

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2006, 11:09:27 AM »
If your friend needs this kind of help, maybe he ought to hire a few GCA aficianados for consulting services to accompany him on a tour.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2006, 11:26:52 AM by Brad Klein »

John_Cullum

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2006, 11:18:49 AM »
Brad

It sounds more like his friend is asking for advice on where to join, not how to join.
Raynor was a hack

Raphael_Larson

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2006, 11:28:40 AM »
My seeking advice here should not be interpreted as an "open casting call."  I simply am seeking practical advice as to which courses can be considered.  I'm not looking for help getting into any clubs ... that is my friends problem to deal with when the time comes.  

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2006, 12:05:48 PM »
Raphael,

Surely your friend must have some idea of what he wants? He should determine what sort of club or course he deems desirable and pursue the membership quest from there.

We all know that it doesn't take a half a million dollars to get into our favorites but ten, or even fourteen year waiting list does present a problem.  

Bob

Raphael_Larson

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2006, 12:14:52 PM »
Bob -- My friend does have an idea of what he wants (RTJ and Kinloch have been mentioned a few times).  But he is willing to consider other options and I thought it would be helpful to seek input from people more knowledgeable than I.  

As for the $500k, obviously that number is extreme but the person making the offer has no idea how much initiation fees run.  Given that RTJ, Congressional, and other DC clubs are over $100k, the high dollar figure was offered to make it clear that he can think big if he wants to.

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2006, 12:15:05 PM »
How many $500,000 clubs are there?

Sebonac

Any others?
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Tim Pitner

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2006, 12:20:21 PM »
If your friend doesn't spend his $500,000 allotment, perhaps his benefactor can forward me some of the difference.  I'm not greedy--I only need $50,000 to join Ballyneal.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2006, 12:25:48 PM »
Isn't Liberty National in this 500K ballpark?

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

John Kirk

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2006, 12:31:59 PM »
It will be very hard to buy into most of the big name great old courses.  Among old courses, Prairie Dunes, Oakmont, and Pasatiempo will likely accept a new member.  It depends how well connected your friend is, who he knows and where.

Living in DC, I think I'd try Friar's Head first, based on the beautiful pictures in Ran's writeup.  I can't comment on Sebonack yet.

Kinloch is a very nice course and a great club.  Everything is strictly first class.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2006, 12:54:06 PM »
Does he belong to a club in the DC area?  If you like the private club experience, you really need to have a base you enjoy every day and then travel out from there.  Then a national membership makes sense.

Columbia, Congressional, what else, there are good options in DC.

Raphael_Larson

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2006, 01:00:34 PM »
Bill McBride -- Yes, he does belong to a club in DC (not Congressional, but another old DC club).  This would be a second club which is why he can consider something outside of the Mid-Atlantic.  

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2006, 01:04:25 PM »
Raphael,

Yeamans Hall.

Bob

Dan_Callahan

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2006, 01:05:09 PM »
You've probably already thought of this, but since he already belongs to a club in DC and travel isn't an issue, I would look south or west to a course that is open for more than half the year.

Bruce Katona

« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2006, 01:14:01 PM »
If travel is not a concern, Sun Valley, ID. - The Valley Club- very nice and you can jet right into Sun Valley Airport.

jg7236

« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2006, 03:20:27 PM »
500K club, does that exist?  I am sure there are a lot of great clubs to join for around 100K-250K.  500K is nutz, even if money grows on trees.  If one can afford that, they can also afford to build their own golf course.

Dave Bourgeois

« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2006, 03:29:56 PM »
Shouldn't he look for someplace warm?  For that kind of scratch I would think his sponsor would want him to have the ability to take his clients there anytime of the year.

I'm sure Seminole canNOT be bought, but I'm sure there are plenty that could be had.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2006, 04:02:51 PM by Dave Bourgeois »

ChipRoyce

« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2006, 03:30:49 PM »
All I can say is that your guy must be a good negotiator to have a $500K golf membership as part of an employment package!

PCCraig

« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2006, 03:39:11 PM »
I'd look into Forest Creek in Pinehurst. I think to be a member you need to own property, but i think between the land and the initiation fee that 500k should cover it. Also, other than FC, there is the rest of pinehurst to have fun.
H.P.S.

rgkeller

« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2006, 03:58:45 PM »

I'm sure Seminole can be bought

No, membership at Seminole cannot be bought.

Dave Bourgeois

« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2006, 04:02:26 PM »
Oh crap as RG Keller has pointed out I had forgotten the most important word in that sentence, NOT as I assure you that is what I meant.

I'll edit that bad boy quick.

Cheers

David Kelly

« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2006, 04:13:03 PM »
Thinking of warm weather spots that I would consider if it was me:

Desert Forest
The Valley Club
Yeamans Hall
Austin Golf Club
« Last Edit: April 14, 2006, 04:14:26 PM by David Kelly »
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Jonathan Cummings

« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2006, 04:31:03 PM »
Impossible to answer.  Join Burning Tree and have done with it.  JC

Tim Pitner

« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2006, 04:33:47 PM »
I like the Valley Club idea--MacKenzie, Doak, Santa Barbara--sounds like a winner to me.  

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back